Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Probably new Work Stand template needed and info Please >

Probably new Work Stand template needed and info Please

Probably new Work Stand template needed and info Please

Old 12-05-2015, 05:58 AM

Talking Huge grin

1. I received my needles
2. I was able to find a manual dated 1878
3. I got some plates cut

1a. multiple size needles - I found out that these http://www.dritz.com/quilting-sewing...cessories/252/ can go through the eye on the size 9 needles (I've got some other sizes as well - I didn't try to pull any thread through as I need to find some finer thread. I'm not sure if I will be able to get the threaded end through the eye.

2a. manual is for "Family Favorite Improved Sewing Machine" It is probably for a latter model than mine. Kind of fun to read and some different verbiage. A couple of things I learned was that by the time this manual was issued the needles that came with the machine were manufactured by "Excelsior Needle Co" and that at least some of the attachments were "Goodrich."
  • Some quotes - "Thousands will learn without trouble or delay" (on title page)
  • "If the woodwork by any means become spoiled or dull in appearance, apply boiled linseed oil with cotton waste or a soft cloth. Our woodwork is oil-finished; no shellac or varnish being used on any except Styles 6 and 11." (on page opposite index titled "TO THE DEALER")
  • "If the stand is scratched or marred, apply "Asphalt Varnish," a quick drying japan, to be obtained almost anywhere." (on page opposite index titled "TO THE DEALER")
  • "Never turn fly-wheel the wrong way, or you may break the needle or thread." (8-some difficulties learner may encounter) Evidently they had done away with the "It can not be run backward" per http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...ges/image1.htm
  • "Remove the shuttle from its race in all cases when filling bobbin. Always take it out back of the presser-foot, and by lifting the heel first" (8-some difficulties learner may encounter) I found this to be true with this machine.
  • "If you prefer to use a size finer thread for the under one, there is no objection." (8-some difficulties learner may encounter)

3a. The plates were cut with the hole in the wrong position - about 1/8" off, but at least I know it can be done with 14 gauge aluminum. I will need to figure out how to get it to slide in properly -- It will come.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]537054[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]537055[/ATTACH]

I have been spending too much time in front of the computer instead of the machine. I still can't get the needle plate screw loosened. Also I can not get the roller to roll.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Attached Thumbnails platesgapleft634.jpg   platesgapright640.jpg  
Old 12-05-2015, 12:15 PM

Fascinating part about the 'asphalt varnish'. So there was a method to spot clean the scratches, back then...
Old 12-07-2015, 05:04 AM

Default Yippee!!!

I finally got the needle plate off. I had to use an offset ratcheting screwdriver. I was able to get it where it needed to go by raising the needle bar to its highest position. I had to screw it back in a bit to be able to get the tool off as it would hit the needle bar.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]537399[/ATTACH]

It was really cruddy.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]537400[/ATTACH]

The underside of the plate (and the screw) before cleaning.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]537403[/ATTACH]

This is the top of the needle plate and screw before cleaning.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]537401[/ATTACH]

Screw after cleaning so I could put it back on the machine. I did clean off where the plate sat on the machine as best I could. I will wait to clean off the feed dogs and shuttle carrier until one of the last things as I will have to take it out of the work stand.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]537402[/ATTACH]

Here is the bottom of the needle plate after cleaning.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]537404[/ATTACH]

The top after cleaning.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]537405[/ATTACH]

That's all for now.... to be continued....

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 12-07-2015 at 05:09 AM. Reason: try to remove duplicate picture
Old 12-07-2015, 08:17 AM
Banned

Woo Hoo! Well done.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:42 AM

Job well done :- )

Maybe the needle plate will polish up futher with the right stuff. Where did you get the clever screw driver, I want one too!
Old 12-08-2015, 01:40 AM

Default YIPPEE!! - pictures

Here are pictures

[ATTACH=CONFIG]537493[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]537494[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]537495[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]537496[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]537497[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]537498[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]537499[/ATTACH]

Attached Thumbnails toolremove646.jpg   needplateoff647.jpg   b4cleanunder653.jpg   needlepl-screw650.jpg   screwaft655.jpg  

plateaftunder659.jpg   plateafttop658.jpg  
Old 12-08-2015, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
Job well done :- )

Maybe the needle plate will polish up futher with the right stuff. Where did you get the clever screw driver, I want one too!
The needle plate is clean, smooth (except for needle nicks), and probably usable as is - right enough for me.

The screwdriver was actually left here by public service guy doing some inspection. I tried to contact him to let him know where it was, but he never got back to me. I thought I saw one at Harbor Freight called a right angle ratchet screw driver. I think some other places call it offset ratcheting screwdriver. This one is about an inch tall and with the bit is 1 5/8" tall. The knurled wheel can be removed and a socket put on.

Old 12-08-2015, 12:35 PM

Awesome work!! So glad to see the progress!

Suzanne
Old 12-08-2015, 05:03 PM

Glad you got that off and it sure was yucky! That is an interesting screwdriver. I love reading the old manuals to see how they are written, the only thing is sometimes I have problems following what they are saying. I kept asking my dh "is that what they mean when they say that?" He doesn't know either so we just wing it and see what works.lol
Old 12-08-2015, 07:51 PM

Really, really grimy parts! They looked worse than anything I've had, and some of those were pretty nasty!

Good luck as you continue on this adventure. You're doing a great job, being patient, and are doing this cool old machine justice.

Dianne in Colorado