Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Red Eye Treadles at Auction..... >

Red Eye Treadles at Auction.....

Red Eye Treadles at Auction.....

Old 09-25-2015, 03:12 PM

Default Red Eye Treadles at Auction.....

Last night I was at a "general" auction in New Hampshire. There were 4 Singer Red Eye treadle machines (I think they are called "red eye"....they had beautiful red paisley type "flowers" on them) up for auction. Cabinets were rough and needed refinishing. Two were 3 drawer and two were 2 drawer...

One went for $25, the rest for $10 each! OMG....my DH had to hold my hands so I couldn't bid on them. LOL. I still have my treadle that I bought at the same auction house last year for $20. Still needs to be "serviced" and the cabinet needs refinishing.

Ah well... Can't believe the prices were so low. Is this typical or just a New Hampshire thing?
Old 09-25-2015, 04:21 PM

Default 66 red eye price

My friend, just got a red eye 66 in a cabinet for $20.
Machine is pristine....cabinet is another story....needs
full restore. But price for machine alone was a steal.
Mish k in NJ

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
Last night I was at a "general" auction in New Hampshire. There were 4 Singer Red Eye treadle machines (I think they are called "red eye"....they had beautiful red paisley type "flowers" on them) up for auction. Cabinets were rough and needed refinishing. Two were 3 drawer and two were 2 drawer...

One went for $25, the rest for $10 each! OMG....my DH had to hold my hands so I couldn't bid on them. LOL. I still have my treadle that I bought at the same auction house last year for $20. Still needs to be "serviced" and the cabinet needs refinishing.

Ah well... Can't believe the prices were so low. Is this typical or just a New Hampshire thing?
Old 09-25-2015, 09:21 PM

I never see them that cheap out here in the Northwest. At least $100 and up. Even at Goodwill!
Old 09-26-2015, 09:15 AM

I think it's typical for small local auctions. I bought a 66-not a redeye- at our local auction last year for $5.00. I was the only bidder. The lady at the auction house told me they generally don't bring much money when I asked.
As enthusiastic as we are about our hobby I think the reality is that there is only a small segment of the population that sews and an even smaller part that collects old machines. The supply, except for certain models, far outstrips the demand.
Rodney
Old 09-26-2015, 01:54 PM

I got my 66 at auction for 8.00. The machine is not in pristine condition by any means, nor is the cabinet, but the machine works great and I love to sew on it. I got my featherweight for 150.00 at another auction. It was missing it's bobbin case, but I was able to replace it. It has a case that's in good shape. I love auctions.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:15 PM

I think it just "depends", I bought a 201-2 in a vintage cabinet for-----$2.50.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:29 AM

I got my 1921 Red Eye treadle head for free from a friend.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:37 AM

I think the Red Eye machines are so pretty - the one I have was my very first vintage machine that was bought at an auction about 40 years ago. I had no interest or idea about vintage machines, let alone how to work a treadle, but when the auctioneer opened it up, I fell in love. She just sparkled with her bright red and gold decals and the cabinet was pristine. I lugged her home and she has been with me ever since, just purring away. - that was the beginning of my love affair with the wonderful mechanics and beauty of vintage/antique machines.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:07 PM

Glad to know that it isn't just the machines up here are going for so little.

Now to restore mine...I think the machine is fine but, will have the husband who is an engineer take a good look at it, but I need to definitely restore/refinish the cabinet. It is missing some of the trim work and the finish is rough on the top. Drawers (all six) seem to be in good shape.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:31 AM

Probably the most popular use for treadle sewing machines in this area, is for home or office decoration. Some are serviced and fully functional, but never get used. Others are just spiffed-up a bit to look good. Therefore, at auctions, the going price typically depends on how “pretty” or “cute” the machine and/or cabinet appear. Some of those go pretty high, especially the Red Eye Singers. You can usually pick up a very nice machine, or treadle cabinet, fairly cheap if they look dirty or mundane.

CD in Oklahoma