Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: SO disappointed!!!!

SO disappointed!!!!

As some of you may know, I have been trawling the Internet to find someone who might be able to copy their Phoenix Kl.250 manual for me. I'm in Australia and there are very few of these machines around (for sale, anyway) and they are much more common on eBay in Germany.

So... dutifully.... when I see one listed, I usually contact the seller to ask if the machine comes with a manual and offer to pay them separately for a scanned copy of the manual.

FINALLY I GOT A REPLY! I was so excited!!

He asked me how much I would pay for it... I said, well - you're the one that has to do the work. I don't know how many pages it is etc. I was eagerly awaiting his reply and noticed it had come through last night. .................$150!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the worst part is that I just don't know what to say. I think that any response I give won't be able to hide my hurt. Sure, I was offering to pay for it and make it a worthwhile exercise for them.... but I was not expecting such a blatant extortion attempt. There is also a part of me that feels tempted to try and reason with him and suggest ways of copying it more easily and then asking him to lower the price, but I feel instinctively that I shouldn't deal with him any further...

What would you do? - I am so disappointed to have lost this opportunity. I STILL can't figure out how to use the machine and I was so hoping that having the manual would help me figure things out

Blog Entries
    I do not think I would even deal with him. That is nothing short of extortion. (He/She should be ashamed of himself.) And after you pay, I'm not even sure you would get the manual. Keep putting out the request. Maybe someone her on the QB will be able to help you.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee

I am so sorry! I cannot imagine how disppointing that was.

I think I would write back and basically say, I'm sorry, that is much more than I am willing or able to pay. Good luck with selling your machine.

Leave it at that.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like extortion to me,unless he had no clue what it is really worth. Step back,take a breath,pretend you're a horse trader in the Wild West,and make lower than reasonable counter offer. Or,calculate the cost per page,and the shipping and offer to make him a nice table runner to go with it...ie,change the game and get him off guard. Good luck!
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

Oh my! That seems outrageous! I wouldn't want to deal with him either.

I wouldn't grace him with a reply.

that is awful-he is not nice-trying to take advantage of you
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Quote Originally Posted by Judith1005 View Post
    I do not think I would even deal with him. That is nothing short of extortion. (He/She should be ashamed of himself.) And after you pay, I'm not even sure you would get the manual. Keep putting out the request. Maybe someone her on the QB will be able to help you.
    Thank you so much Judith... and everyone else who's replied in the meantime! I knew that sharing my story here would make me feel better! It's so nice to be among people who understand. Sometimes I think when people start thinking about money, they forget about everything that makes life actually worth living; they forget they are dealing with a living, breathing person who actually has feelings and a sense of right and wrong.

I suppose I should be positive and think that if it worked once, it might work again and I may hear from someone else who will be more reasonable. I really wanted to share the manual with others on ISMACS and Needlebar, too (as well as here) so that nobody would ever be in the same predicament as me. Seriously, these machines are being thrown away because nobody wants them or maybe they are like me and just can't figure out something-or-other... It's the most beautiful machine with a simple mechanism to lower the feed dogs and a lovely long reverse lever. Sigh....

Power Poster
    I would email back that I only paid $25 bucks for the machine and will only pay half that for a manual or similar. Maybe he will send a more reasonable offer.

Quote Originally Posted by francie yuhas View Post
    Sounds like extortion to me,unless he had no clue what it is really worth. Step back,take a breath,pretend you're a horse trader in the Wild West,and make lower than reasonable counter offer. Or,calculate the cost per page,and the shipping and offer to make him a nice table runner to go with it...ie,change the game and get him off guard. Good luck!
    I had thought about this Francie and I'm not sure. I think he has listed the whole machine for about $30 more, so that would suggest he's simply trying his luck with me because I've contacted him and said I would pay good money for it. I suppose I would have nothing to lose by asking but I don't know... it's the principle of the thing I guess. I'll definitely give it some more thought. Thank you.

Outrageous to say the least. Have patience. Eventually you will find a more reasonably priced manual. I agree with Tartan, Email the seller with the offer of $25 and see what happens.
    Sweet Caroline

I also question if you would ever get what your paying for. Any one that requests that kind of money for a photo copied item seems a bit shady to me. I think I would go with a thanks but no thanks. Best of luck.

Blog Entries
    How much does he want for the machine? Maybe buy the machine, copy the manual and re-sell the machine. Phoenix is a good machine. Offer him about half what he is asking...
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    How much does he want for the machine? Maybe buy the machine, copy the manual and re-sell the machine. Phoenix is a good machine. Offer him about half what he is asking...
    He is in Germany and I am in Australia. I only paid $30 for my machine but have spent hours cleaning and polishing it. Everything moves freely and beautifully, including the treadle. I got a new belt for it and it's ready to go - if only it would stitch!!! I wish I knew more to understand why the stitches aren't being properly formed, but I am new to this. I will have to study one of my other machines that is working and see if I can compare. I have a manual for another Baer & Rempel machine but it hasn't helped me overcome this problem. Perhaps even owning the correct manual wouldn't help if there's something really wrong with it that's beyond my level of comprehension.

Blog Entries
    Is the needle in right? The curve of the needle needs to go next to the hook. The groove of the needle goes away from the hook. Try that and see what happens.

Does the thread break or just not make stitches?
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    Don't deal with someone like that! Someone will be able to help you eventually. I know waiting isn't easy tho

Do not reply back. He sounds creepy.
    Anna Quilts

Have you tried contacting "Treadle Lady"? She has some German machines and possibly she would have some ideas for you.

I would NOT pay him a dime! When you play with snakes, your gonna get bit!

Blog Entries
    I feel your pain. What a bummer. I would not deal any further with the scoundrel. I've been searching the web for you and may (or may not) have found something that will help. Found a reference for the Phoenix when searching a German site. My computer had an option tab open up on upper r. side to translate to English, or I'd been doomed. Not very good with all the computer stuff, but I've copied down what I could for you: www.naehmaschine-antik.de There was a tab on left for Instructions, and free manuals come up. Top of the page was "The Iron Lady." Had to scroll down a bit to get the the references, instructions & diagrams of the Phoenix. I'm so hoping this is what you need. You deserve a break today!
    Mavis

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Is the needle in right? The curve of the needle needs to go next to the hook. The groove of the needle goes away from the hook. Try that and see what happens.

Does the thread break or just not make stitches?
    It picks up the bobbin thread and looks like it's going to make stitches and then it sort of draws the bobbin thread up through the eye of the needle or something. You can go for a good inch or more before noticing there are no stitches and before this thing starts to happen with the thread looping up. The thread doesn't break and it doesn't get tangled in the bobbin case. It's nothing I've ever seen before and therefore I'm stumped!

The other manual I have says to use a system 1738 needle with the long groove facing to the front.
    I just happened to have some Schmetz needles that have this number on the packet, but they are round shank. There was a giant (denim weight) flat shank needle in it when I got it but we suspected that this needle wasn't right, however changing the needles hasn't seemed to help the problem, nor has it made the problem worse.

Any clues?

Blog Entries
    Could he have in his mind that you want to buy the machine too. I wouldn't give him the time of day. He thinks he sees a good deal. wow!

So sorry, no way would I pay hime that much for it.

Blog Entries
    What does your machine look like? I would be interested in seeing pictures of it. Thanks, Amy

Quote Originally Posted by amyjo View Post
    What does your machine look like? I would be interested in seeing pictures of it. Thanks, Amy
    Hi Amy
    I have a photo album here - you can also search this forum for Phoenix 250 and see all of my previous posts about the machine, including the story behind finding it. Thanks for your interest

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast