Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Thoughts needed on a Vintage peddle Featherweight...PLease >
  • Thoughts needed on a Vintage peddle Featherweight...PLease

• Thoughts needed on a Vintage peddle Featherweight...PLease

Old 10-22-2013, 08:40 AM

It was on the label when I bought it. I think old Singer is thought of as a Featherweight!

Has anyone used this model. what do you think?

Tell me about sewing on a Featherweight too????
    Old 10-22-2013, 08:41 AM

Any thoughts on the value?
    Old 10-22-2013, 11:44 AM

As for value, I think $65 was a reasonable price, if it has bobbins and it works. The decals are in rough shape, but that doesn't affect how it sews. It would have been way more if the decals were better. If you're a Downton Abbey fan, a very similar machine just showed up with the new lady's maid in Season 4 - it won't air in the US until January, though.

I probably wouldn't have bought it, because it's a long bobbin machine, and I'm squeamish about them. Not for any good reason - I've never used one, I just imagine it would be noisier because of the bobbin shuttle motion. That said, they can produce an excellent stitch, and if one came my way I would probably hang onto it.
    Old 10-22-2013, 12:48 PM

I was wondering which machine that was on Downton. We probably need a whole thread about it.
    Old 10-22-2013, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rhodim
    It was on the label when I bought it. I think old Singer is thought of as a Featherweight!

Has anyone used this model. what do you think?

Tell me about sewing on a Featherweight too????
    A model 27 was my first machine. I still have her. Technically, she may be a 127, but the Ismacs list shows her as a 27, and she's a weird blend of 27 and 127 features and her serial number occurs very late in the last run of 27s in the St Jean sur Richelieu factory. Her name is Betty. I made a dog bed on her, and she sews beautifully. A Variable Shuttle machine has a very different sound than a CB machine, and it is louder as Jennifer23 mentioned.

Here are a few pictures of a 27 with a 99 and a featherweight. I was having trouble with scale with the photos I wanted to take, and no handy assistant, so I opted for birds eye view shots to show the scale.

FW vs 99
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]442680[/ATTACH]

FW vs 27

[ATTACH=CONFIG]442682[/ATTACH]

Your 27 will sew almost anything. (within reason) It was a domestic machine, and therefore wasn't made for huge quantities of leather, etc, but I have heard of people sewing several layers of canvas and other things on it. She will also do well with light fabrics. She has a "perfect" straight stitch and it's very easy to operate. I do find treadling very relaxing, once you get used to it. Shuttles are pricy to buy if yours is missing, and the long bobbins are also pricy compared to the round bobbins in other machines. This machine won't do well at all with free motion - quilting or embroidery, from what I'm told. I haven't tried it, I have other machines that excel at those two things, so I don't bother with Betty for something I'd have to convince her to do.

The featherweight is a good machine, a beautiful straight stitch, it won't do heavy fabrics. the motor is just too small. It's loved by quilters because it's light and portable. Also because it's cute. Small amounts of FMQ or FME are possible, but the harp size is just too small for larger projects. The bobbin case is often missing on these machines, and pricy to replace, and vintage cases tend to work better than the replicas. Both are expensive though.

As for price, a machine is worth what someone will pay for it. I don't think you did badly for $65. Betty cost me $145 about 11 years ago. She was missing a slide plate, the shuttle, and had a fair bit of damage to her cabinet. I overpaid, and now, I wouldn't pay for one in that condition, but I still love Betty to bits.

ETA: And no, Betty's slide plate isn't still missing, it's in the drawer because it falls off when I recess her into the cabinet.
    Attached Thumbnails fwvs99.jpg   fwvs27.jpg  

Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 10-22-2013 at 01:29 PM.
    Old 10-28-2013, 04:21 AM

I really appreciate your thoughtful reply.
    Old 10-28-2013, 06:47 AM

Tammi,

I have one with a loose, or what used to be loose slide plate. Someone put a gentle bend in it. Now it stays put but doesn't bind up when you slide it.

Joe
    Old 10-28-2013, 07:14 AM

I put a small bend in mine too, but for some reason, it sometimes stays and sometimes falls off. I was nervous about bending it too far I think. I just got in the habit of moving it before I flip.
    Old 10-29-2013, 08:56 AM

Photo's are up take a look!
    Old 10-29-2013, 09:04 AM

Photos are up take a look!