Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Japanese 'Badged' sewing machine with fancy stitches >

Vintage Japanese 'Badged' sewing machine with fancy stitches

Vintage Japanese 'Badged' sewing machine with fancy stitches

Old 04-03-2014, 05:20 AM

I highly regret giving my Wizard to the Goodwill this past November....what was I thinking! Actually I was in a full blown panic!! My oldest son called me the end of Sept to tell me he was getting married to his 6 month girlfriend And that they were getting married the end of October. What?? Well you know what I thought immediately, haha. Well no, that wasn't it. But, as things evolved they decided on the day before Thanksgiving and then without a long story they were going to have a reception at our house for 60 people. Oh....my....god! I am not a hoarder and my house is usually passably ok, but I am a perfectionist about it if I am having people in. I am NEVER one to entertain. In fact most people would call me a hermit, lol. That is partly because if a speck of dust is out of place I am mortified (only if people are over not when it's just me and hubby). Well, I had sewing machines all over the house....dining room, family room, etc. then they told me they wanted to use the garage as a dance floor and live band. Aggghhhh! It was crammed to the ceiling. Anyway, full blown panic, decluttering like crazy, etc., etc. so my Wizard is gone. So sad. I lost 15 pounds in that 6 weeks of 18 hour days of cleaning and organizing like crazy. I don't recommend that as a form of weight loss though! Lol. It sewed beautifully after I cleaned her all up. But I got frustrated trying to find a reverse button. Looking at this pick now makes me kick myself!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-11-2019 at 08:20 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 04-03-2014, 04:50 PM

Just thought I would turn your picture so everyone could see how pretty she was.[ATTACH=CONFIG]469966[/ATTACH]
Old 04-04-2014, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
And another Kenmore - a bit different - probably made in Italy - I do have a nice set of attachments and cams for it - the table is pretty cool too - it is sort of in storage though.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]380834[/ATTACH]
I really like the look of this Miriam
Old 04-05-2014, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post

.... It is marked J-A 4 and was made by Maruzen/Jaguar.

Joe
Hey Joe
I've just been sniffing around the Needlebar archive trying to read up on how this numbering system works. They have pictures of the Myer Deluxe model that I've seen around before but none like this one with the internal cam stack for other stitch patterns. Mine is stamped: JNZ 749258 NE J-A12
So does that mean it can be identified from that number or is there more to it that you know of?
Cheers,
Amelia
Old 04-06-2014, 07:00 AM

I have had this one for a while. It was my grandmothers. I feel horrible for not even getting it out of the case while she was still alive. (I am grateful it was in my shed and not my home as we lost my home almost a year ago to fire) I can't find the model number on it anywhere. I see the motor model. But nothing to give me a clue of the machine model. It is a Bradford....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]470308[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 10173378_10152329391119752_1587521866_n.jpg  
Old 04-06-2014, 07:24 AM

Nice machine, though it probably goes in this thread: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...p-t164361.html.

That bronze colored plaque on the front might have the model name/number. Or they are on a tag on the front right under the front of the bed, though most of these machines were just branded with any of a number of names.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:29 AM

It's made in Japan. There are no numbers on the plaques.... There is this one underneath
[ATTACH=CONFIG]470311[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]470312[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 10153363_10152329492239752_83647639_n.jpg   10153619_10152330126729752_394865546_n.jpg  

Last edited by shimmer; 04-06-2014 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

Welcome Shimmer!!! I'm glad you were able to have that lovely machine!!! It is so exciting. Have you made it work yet? There is a lot of info on that thread Mark linked to - and do post a pic there, too. If you have questions feel free to post or pm. It looks very much like a Brother badged machine. Those are usually some of the best clones. It is up there with a Morse and an Atlas. Enjoy - the best thing you could do is to use that machine.

Brother sewing machine serial numbers are coded to indicate the manufacture date of the machine.
The letter and first number indicate the month and last digit of the year the machine was made.
Because the first number in the serial number could correspond to a year in any decade, you need help
from Brother International Corp., the machine's manufacturer, to determine when the machine
was made. You can submit an email request through the company's website.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by frudemoo View Post
Hey Joe
I've just been sniffing around the Needlebar archive trying to read up on how this numbering system works. They have pictures of the Myer Deluxe model that I've seen around before but none like this one with the internal cam stack for other stitch patterns. Mine is stamped: JNZ 749258 NE J-A12
So does that mean it can be identified from that number or is there more to it that you know of?
Cheers,
Amelia
Amelia,

I got the J-A number chart I'm using from the Yahoo Japanese machine group. J-A 12 was made by Brother.
The other alpha numeric group is probably the serial number.

Joe
Old 04-06-2014, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Welcome Shimmer!!! I'm glad you were able to have that lovely machine!!! It is so exciting. Have you made it work yet? There is a lot of info on that thread Mark linked to - and do post a pic there, too. If you have questions feel free to post or pm. It looks very much like a Brother badged machine. Those are usually some of the best clones. It is up there with a Morse and an Atlas. Enjoy - the best thing you could do is to use that machine.

Brother sewing machine serial numbers are coded to indicate the manufacture date of the machine.
The letter and first number indicate the month and last digit of the year the machine was made.
Because the first number in the serial number could correspond to a year in any decade, you need help
from Brother International Corp., the machine's manufacturer, to determine when the machine
was made. You can submit an email request through the company's website.
You're so smart I can't get it threaded proper. It sounds awesome! Just have some threading issues. That's why I am trying to find a model number to see if I can get a diagram for threading it.

My hubby wants to call it Belle Aire....says it's the same color as his uncle's 57 Chevy