Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1338 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 338 838 1238 1288 1328 1337 1338 1339 1348 1388 1438 ... LastLast
Results 33,426 to 33,450 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Miriam now Phil has enough to do many many machines for you. This stuff will go a very long way.
    Well, there are plenty of machines to do.... I have some I wonder what finish
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Blog Entries
    I got the new old girl out of the box and went to work on her....she was a filthy little thing and the oxidation on the bottom was worse than I thought, but that's not the worst. This little featherweight had the bobbin with thread left in her...so as the thread wicked moisture into the bobbin, it rusted so badly!!! I had to use pliers to get the bobbin out of the case and when I did the inside of the bobbin case was all rusted too. After a nice bath of oil and brushed really well, I took another bobbin and filled it, threaded the machine (after hitting all the spots with oil) and pushed the foot feet!!! We were off and running....like a charm!!! I can't believe it! She's a gem who needs a little cosmetic work. These things were so well made!! I'm having a hard time reading the serial number...AF74 something, something, something....LOL!!! Now to name her.....I'll keep you posted on that one! Off to clean up the cleaning table!!
    And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28

Randa

I just joined the board last week. I picked up 3 machines this weekend and need help with one. I picked up a 1920 128 Singer handcrank in great condition, with Vincendora decals,just need to tension a little. Also got a Singer 328K that was suppose to be in working condition but when I plug it in and push the pedal it barely moves. Any ideas? all the wiring looks good.
    Anyway I picked up another hand crank, a SIGMA. Looks in great but I can't figure out how to get the needle to stay in. I'll try to attached some pics and if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it. If the pics work out I will post pics of the 128 and 328K tomorrow.

thanks, Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    You'll enjoy it. I have one and although I haven't taken it out for a while, it's a cute machine. I had to install new feed dogs on mine as the teeth were a bit uneven and caused the fabric to pull to the right. Have you been able to hunt down a bobbin cover plate?
    Yes, that was the first thing I went hunting for. I can't wait til she gets here. Does she take a threaded or push in thread spindle, plastic or metal?

Quote Originally Posted by Weedwoman View Post
    Anybody know what size needle the Domestic takes? TIA
    Hi,

Can't say from experience but the Boye chart says it takes a Boye 8 for the older VS models (Pre-1900). Here's an excellent site for Domestic ID:

http://www.kelsew.info/Domestic/dome...lsnolinks.html

Jon

chris_quilts, your selectivity about machines is understood. We are just such enablers here. Myself, I am going to spring for a national or eldridge two-spools, if I ever find one within range. But there are few others I would get. There are 4 machines here that are supposed to have been re-homed already, and then my own 6. I am waiting for good weather to supply a place I can work on cabinets - need to do the spa treatment with shellac, etc. I have enough machines and work to do on them for now.
    Quilt Mom

Going through life one stitch at a time

rosie99, welcome!!! Sounds like you have been bitten by the bug! Watch out - it is serious. It's hard to quit collecting once you start.
    Sorry, I can't help with your questions. I'm a learner here, too. But there are lots of others who will assist. This is a great place to get help.
    Quilt Mom

Going through life one stitch at a time

Quote Originally Posted by rosie99 View Post
    Anyway I picked up another hand crank, a SIGMA. Looks in great but I can't figure out how to get the needle to stay in.
    Hi Jackie,

Newfoundland! Definitely on my bucket list of places to visit someday.

Not much help on fixing machines (ask Cathy!), but re the Sigma that won't hold onto its needle, could the screw that holds it in be stripped? (And of course, are you sure it's the right needle for that machine?) I'll be interested to see the pictures!

pat

Thanks for the welcome. A little more explanation on the problem with Sigma needle. First of, I'm not sure what needle goes with it as I can find very little info on Sigma machines. But 15's were with it. It seems like the slot for the needle is quite deep and the needle clamp screw and collar to hold the needle does nothing to holdhe needle t in place. Maybe the wrong needle clamp? I would really like to get this operational as everything else "seems" to be fine. It vertical bobbin and you can drop the feed dogs. Any suggestions on the machine would be appreciated.

Name:  058_1.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  86.9 KBJackie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Seeing as those pics worked okay here are the pics of the other 2 machines I picked up on Friday. The singer 128 handcrank just needs the tension adjusted but the Singer 328K seems to have very little power when plugged in. It came with all(I think) the original accessories and manual. It is also oiled to death, oil dripping inside. Now I'll quit hogging the board. Thanks for listening and looking.
    Jackie
    Name:  037.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  128.5 KB

Name:  046.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  100.0 KB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossstitcher View Post
    Charlee with the HC.
    That's cool!!! (Both the machine and the name!! )
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Rosie, the problem with the 328 may be the foot control...if they get corroded inside (oxidized or otherwise) or the contacts get worn they don't operate correctly. Try another foot control (if you have one that connects the same). Someone on here did some work to a foot control and got it working better by cleaning the contacts, but I don't remember who it was. It's been quite a while.

Blog Entries
    Rosie99, Welcome to the board you will love it here so many nice people and they are so helpful. Your machines are really nice looking and I am sure someone here will be able to help you with your questions.
    Quilting with a friend keeps me in stitches.

Trish

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilt Mom View Post
    chris_quilts, your selectivity about machines is understood. We are just such enablers here. Myself, I am going to spring for a national or eldridge two-spools, if I ever find one within range. But there are few others I would get. There are 4 machines here that are supposed to have been re-homed already, and then my own 6. I am waiting for good weather to supply a place I can work on cabinets - need to do the spa treatment with shellac, etc. I have enough machines and work to do on them for now.
    Hi. I think you are right about us all being such enablers. I know that I wouldn't have passed that machine up a year ago but space and desire have different priorities right now. I have quite a few machines that I haven't had a chance to play with because of space and needing to do my job but I hope to get to some of them (most hopefully) over the summer when I have more time to play with them. I also have several quilts to make and a couple to finish so prioritizing quilt jobs is also something I need to do. One of the machines that I want to try playing with over the summer is my Two Spools.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=rosie99;5132758]Seeing as those pics worked okay here are the pics of the other 2 machines I picked up on Friday. The singer 128 handcrank just needs the tension adjusted but the Singer 328K seems to have very little power when plugged in. It came with all(I think) the original accessories and manual. It is also oiled to death, oil dripping inside. Now I'll quit hogging the board. Thanks for listening and looking.
    Jackie
    I love a good hand crank. Did you know you can treadle that 328?

I did see that someone had done that. I also noticed the slots on the side. the only thing is that treadle bases are not advertised much around here and my space is limited. But thanks for mentioning it. Hopefully I will be able to get power restored or else I might look more into turning it into a treadle.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rosie99 View Post
    I did see that someone had done that. I also noticed the slots on the side. the only thing is that treadle bases are not advertised much around here and my space is limited. But thanks for mentioning it. Hopefully I will be able to get power restored or else I might look more into turning it into a treadle.
    It might be cheaper to treadle it than to fix the motor. Someone pm'd me and we got a 411G treadling with a spinning wheel belt - it needs a bushing or something to space the wheel. The other possibility would be to sell it to someone who would love to treadle it and then buy a 401 in good shape for what you can get out of it. Those 401Gs are not very common so should be worth a little bit more than a 401a with a good motor.

Blog Entries
    Charlee, I have a Universal that came with out a tension. It survived a flood. My sister found 10 free machines on CL and called and told them her sister would come get them.... That one was the only one that made it - she has a ton of parts though... I kind of like that machine. It also once in a blue moon will hang up inside above the stitch length regulator... Have to pop it a bit through the round hole - then it goes again for a while. go figure. Maybe somebody knows about that kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
    Thank you to all who replied to my 237 question. I am leaning towards not getting it beause I have a Necchi that does the same thing as the 237. Thanks for all the help and information.
    Chris

Okay everyone, is chris_quilts breaking the Cardinal Rule of Antique and Vintage Machine Enthusiasts everywhere?

Um, I thought these things were like ' you CAN'T have just one'?

Seriously? (we're all just playing with you chris_quilts)

best,
    d
    My best is the least I can do.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Whigrose View Post
    Okay everyone, is chris_quilts breaking the Cardinal Rule of Antique and Vintage Machine Enthusiasts everywhere?

Um, I thought these things were like ' you CAN'T have just one'?

Seriously? (we're all just playing with you chris_quilts)

best,
    d
    Realize all y'all are njust playing but seriously I'm just leeting this one go. If it were a different machine, I'd be much more tempted but htis one just doesn't trip my trigger. I am a collector (hoarder to kids) of vintage machines and feel okay about letting this one be not mine. Besides, the Nechhi is a better built machine and it's already mine and in my house. Don't have to burn any more gas to go retrieve it.
    All kidding aside, y'all were truly helpful during this decision-making process.
    Chris

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
    Realize all y'all are njust playing but seriously I'm just leeting this one go. If it were a different machine, I'd be much more tempted but htis one just doesn't trip my trigger. I am a collector (hoarder to kids) of vintage machines and feel okay about letting this one be not mine. Besides, the Nechhi is a better built machine and it's already mine and in my house. Don't have to burn any more gas to go retrieve it.
    All kidding aside, y'all were truly helpful during this decision-making process.
    Chris
    Chris, I'm with you on that one... Those don't do anything for me either. If someone wants one - well maybe there is one sort of like it all broken up in my shop somewhere... Maybe it is only like it. I know there were broken gears fell out of it when I opened up - that was enough for me.......... parts?

I'm with you gals. There are machines that just don't 'do it' for me like I'm sure some of my machines 'don't do it' for others.

After all, we do need to have some space available for when the right one/s come along. Right?

best,
    d

Blog Entries
    I'm with you gals. There are machines that just don't 'do it' for me like I'm sure some of my machines 'don't do it' for others.

After all, we do need to have some space available for when the right one/s come along. Right?

best,
    d
    Absolutely!! My problem is, they're ALL the "right ones"!!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries

best,
    d
    D; Happy to note you pluralized one(s) for right machines. I wouldn't say No! to another 301 or another FW but DH might!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    Absolutely!! My problem is, they're ALL the "right ones"!!
    Gosh, I miss you guys and gals. I'll be back on more after the weekend.

A big friendly 'Welcome chris-quilts'. You'll love it here. We all acknowledge there IS a 12-step program for people like us. We just don't want to hear about it. :-)

I'm a bit nervous - tomorrow we are driving an hour away to have dh fitted for his tux.He suggested we go gunkholing on RT 1 where there's tons of antique shops and malls. Even the shop that had the 127 La Vinc... in the bentwood case. If it's still there, I KNOW he won't leave this time without it.

My name is d and I don't need another machine_ maybe, well, it isssss nice. No. Um... ~giggle~

Once this wedding is beyond us, I have so much 'Glenn work' to do.

And today, I told dh I really would like to see what the 31-15 does. Anyone here have the knowledge to tell me if the motor and all would be safe to use if I share photos? Or be able to point me in the right direction?

best,
    d