Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-18-2011, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
I wish...that's a pretty baby...and LOOK at those decals!
Ok guys, you gotta give me a day. LOL my dsil is huntibg in wyoming, no cell service, im trying to get him to stop in s dakota for me on his way home. He thinks I am nuts, but he loves me!! Phone not working right due to druel on screen.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:38 AM

OH! I hope you can get it. We all seem to really like our Davis's.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
CD, do the casters have wheel locks on them so it doesn't scoot away from you as you sew?
Nope, no brakes. The rigid casters on the left (needle) end are at a right angle to the operator, and I rest my non-treadle foot on the trolley anyway, so I’ve not had any problem with it being a “run away”. I put the swivel casters on the hand wheel end since I spend most of my time at the needle end anyway.

Originally Posted by miriam
trolly. pstsh I have an industrial 241 needs a tow truck to move it anyplace.
My industrial Consew 225 is about the same size and weight as a 241, and I can take it out on the sidewalk or around into the alley as easily as my boot patcher (29K70). The previous owner put brackets and casters on it that make it set only about an inch higher than normal. All four casters swivel, and two of them have locks on them, but it still tends to run away if it’s not parked against something.

CD in Oklahoma

Consew 225 Industrial
[ATTACH=CONFIG]273229[/ATTACH]

Consew 225 Caster Bracket
[ATTACH=CONFIG]273230[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-273176.jpe   attachment-273177.jpe  
Old 10-18-2011, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by hershery
Ok so here is the BEAST. I think some paint is in order any suggestions for color or details? Anybody want to adopt?
Paint it yellow like a school bus
Now thats a great idea!!! Yellow gets my vote. :)
Old 10-18-2011, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
This one made me sit up a little straighter. I certainly wouldn't turn it down. :) http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/atq/2651598223.html

You need to hop on down to Dallas and get this one!!!!!! Very interesting!
Nana, I am drooling over that Davis! I wish it were closer I'd have already picked her up!

Nancy
Old 10-18-2011, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Charlee eat your heart out. Here is my lady all cleaned up and ready for a party
Glenn, I think we are all 'eating our hearts out!' What a great job you did - I love your machine, cabinet - the whole package! Enjoy her!

Nancy

Glenn, I don't spend a lot of time in the shop so did I miss the Model of this machine? It looks like a 127, but I have not seen those decals. I thought at first the decals were the 'Rose and Cornflower' because of the green - but, it is not that decal? Do you know what the decals are called?

Charlee can you go to the site we can't mention to see if they have that decal listed?
Old 10-18-2011, 05:00 AM

About moving sewing machines (and getting back more to vintage quilting machines)....

As you know, the vintage machines tend to be heavy, and can be difficult to carry. The solution that I came up with is to use old wheel chairs. I’ve gathered up 3 “retired” wheel chairs at auctions and yard sales that work great for transporting vintage portable sewing machines. With folks turning to the newer motorized mobility units, the old collapsible chairs get discarded.

[Edited to add: Not only does the wheel chair carry the weight for me, but it also provides a "walker" for me to hang onto. They go across grass and sand pretty good too!]

I have one in the house, one in the shop, and one at my storage area. When I go “junking” for old machines, I toss a wheel chair in the back of the pickup to take with me. It also comes in handy to set in while waiting for my items to come up for sale at auctions.....

CD in Oklahoma
Old 10-18-2011, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I have my Free in treadle sitting in my garage since I have no space in the house. After I get the treadle fixed, I plan to sit it outside on nice days so that I can work outside. I know that it will be heavy carrying it from house to patio, but I prefer treadling over using a HC.
Monica, are you saying you are going to move your Free # 5 treadle in and out of the house? I too perfer a treadle to a handcrank, but I'd be afraid if I put one of my treadles outside I'd forget to bring it in and the dew would ruin it.

Nancy
Old 10-18-2011, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Janis
ok. so. I'm kind of ignorant of some stuff yet. What all machines came in those rounded wooden lid cases??? I have a line on an unknown with no pic. I know it is electric - she says she plugged her in.
The 99 comes in the bentwood case, but I'm not sure what other ones do, or did you know that already? Maybe the 66?
I googled singers in bentwood cases and these popped up. Does this help?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nk...+128+15+91+201

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SINGER-Vinta...-/290617154011
Was looking at the bent wood cases on this link and happened on this. Wonder how you gonna attatch this tube turner to sewing machine. Can get this from store for less than $5. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hook-Singer-...item56468ab65c
Old 10-18-2011, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mollie'sMom
Originally Posted by Janis
ok. so. I'm kind of ignorant of some stuff yet. What all machines came in those rounded wooden lid cases??? I have a line on an unknown with no pic. I know it is electric - she says she plugged her in.
The 99 comes in the bentwood case, but I'm not sure what other ones do, or did you know that already? Maybe the 66?
I googled singers in bentwood cases and these popped up. Does this help?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nk...+128+15+91+201

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SINGER-Vinta...-/290617154011
Was looking at the bent wood cases on this link and happened on this. Wonder how you gonna attatch this tube turner to sewing machine. Can get this from store for less than $5. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hook-Singer-...item56468ab65c
somebody must be trying to exploit us.