Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-17-2012, 09:42 PM

Nancy,

What is "Girls Night Out"?

Cathy

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Yep, I can pick up some of the needles for you and bring them to Girls Night Out Saturday evening!

Nancy
Old 02-17-2012, 09:55 PM

Default Ladies night out

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Nancy,

What is "Girls Night Out"?

Cathy
Cathy, Nancy and I go to Folsom at Meinseer's and sew from 5 to 10 pm. There is an average of 12 ladies that get toeather every 3rd Saturday of the month. It is a pot luck and the price is $10. We work on anything that we
want. We have doing this for years. Come join us sometime. Kathie

Last edited by Kathie S.; 02-17-2012 at 09:56 PM. Reason: bad typing
Old 02-17-2012, 10:18 PM

Nancy,

I'm going to try to answer this. Thread that needs to reel off horizontally means it needs to come off over the end cap of the spool no matter what position the spool is in. if the spool is on a horizontal pin it comes off of the end correctly. If it is on a vertical spool pin then it is being pulled off of the side of the spool. If the spool is a cone pulling from the side will result in the thread tension changing as you sew. I have attached 2 pictures of the gadget that I make to allow me to use cones (and other threads that need to reel off of the end of the spool) behind the machine. The cup that holds the cone must be positioned directly under the eyelet. Simply made from a suction cup, a chop stick and two tiny binder clips.

Again, I ask is this clearer than mud?, Cathy

[ATTACH=CONFIG]313077[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]313078[/ATTACH]

[QUOTE=BoJangles;4984187 Candace how do you get the metallic to come off the spool horizontally? I have several of those thread guides that sit behind the machine, but nothing that would cause the thread to come off horizontally? Nancy[/QUOTE]
Attached Thumbnails img_0879.jpg   img_0880.jpg  
Old 02-17-2012, 10:24 PM

This wonderthreadguide looks neat, but the thread is always in their picture being pulled off the side of the spool. This may not work well if the thread needs to come off horizontally. It, however, probably will work well most of the time.

Cathy

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Old 02-17-2012, 10:27 PM

Kathie,

Thanks, I'll try.
Cathy

Originally Posted by Kathie S. View Post
Cathy, Nancy and I go to Folsom at Meinseer's and sew from 5 to 10 pm. There is an average of 12 ladies that get toeather every 3rd Saturday of the month. It is a pot luck and the price is $10. We work on anything that we
want. We have doing this for years. Come join us sometime. Kathie
Old 02-17-2012, 11:07 PM

This wonderthreadguide looks neat, but the thread is always in their picture being pulled off the side of the spool. This may not work well if the thread needs to come off horizontally. It, however, probably will work well most of the time.

Cathy
No, actually, you can set the attachment to have the thread come off horizontally. One of the pictures on the site I linked shows that.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:55 PM

Candace,

I see two pictures showing the spool in a horizontal position, but in both cases the thread is reeling off the side not over the end.

Cathy

No, actually, you can set the attachment to have the thread come off horizontally. One of the pictures on the site I linked shows that.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:48 AM
Power Poster

Nancy,

I'm going to try to answer this. Thread that needs to reel off horizontally means it needs to come off over the end cap of the spool no matter what position the spool is in. if the spool is on a horizontal pin it comes off of the end correctly. If it is on a vertical spool pin then it is being pulled off of the side of the spool. If the spool is a cone pulling from the side will result in the thread tension changing as you sew. I have attached 2 pictures of the gadget that I make to allow me to use cones (and other threads that need to reel off of the end of the spool) behind the machine. The cup that holds the cone must be positioned directly under the eyelet. Simply made from a suction cup, a chop stick and two tiny binder clips.

Again, I ask is this clearer than mud?, Cathy

[ATTACH=CONFIG]313077[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]313078[/ATTACH]
Now that should go a long ways in solving the world's problems!!!! I've had to put thread in a vase on the floor , run the thread up and over the thread pin before. The arm across would help a lot. I wonder, if you have the right height vase maybe you could hold the chop stick on the top of the vase with a clip so thread has room to pass - put an eye bolt on the chop stick end and put that over the thread holder with the clips to guide the thread. I don't do very good with those suction cups for some reason...
Old 02-18-2012, 05:52 AM

I do have one that I bought to use for metallics, but my Bernina machine came out with an attachment for metallics that I got for free. So, I haven't used it yet. I've heard good things about it though and it was only like $20.
Candace that is great you got a free attachment for your Bernia for the metallic threads, but what about your other machines - all your 301's or your 319's?

Ok Cathy, now I am really confused. I uderstand completely what you are saying about the thread needing to come off the end. Are you saying whether the spool was designed to come of vertically or horizontally - the thread still needs to feed off the end? I have a Janome and a newer Pfaff embroidery machine that have spool pins that feed either way. I do understand that when the thread is positioned on the horizontal spool pin it feeds off the end and when seated on the vertical spool pin it feeds off the end. Now I am confused about the way the thread is wound on the spools. It seems to me if the thread is both instances has to feed off the end, it shouldn't matter whether the thread is sitting horizontally or vertically when the thread is sitting on a thread guide behind the machine and feeding to the machine from the top of that thread guide? What is the problem with metallic threads then?

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 02-18-2012 at 06:02 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:07 AM

Nancy,I'm going to try to answer this. Thread that needs to reel off horizontally means it needs to come off over the end cap of the spool no matter what position the spool is in. if the spool is on a horizontal pin it comes off of the end correctly. If it is on a vertical spool pin then it is being pulled off of the side of the spool. If the spool is a cone pulling from the side will result in the thread tension changing as you sew. I have attached 2 pictures of the gadget that I make to allow me to use cones (and other threads that need to reel off of the end of the spool) behind the machine. The cup that holds the cone must be positioned directly under the eyelet. Simply made from a suction cup, a chop stick and two tiny binder clips.Again, I ask is this clearer than mud?, Cathy[ATTACH=CONFIG]313077[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]313078[/ATTACH]
Cathy the set up you made works exactly the same as one of those black stand alone thread guides that sit behind your machine. The spool sits on a spool pin, is fed up to a thread guide, then over to your machine thread guides. That should cause any spool of thread, even the cones to work properly? That is what I did with the metallic thread, but it did cause a tension problem because of all the knots that formed underneath my work. Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 02-18-2012 at 06:10 AM.