Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-18-2012, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S. View Post
Cathy, Nancy and I go to Folsom at Meinseer's and sew from 5 to 10 pm. There is an average of 12 ladies that get toeather every 3rd Saturday of the month. It is a pot luck and the price is $10. We work on anything that we
want. We have doing this for years. Come join us sometime. Kathie
What fun! I wonder if I could get something like this to happen around here. I'll have to ask at church...Is Meinseer's a fabric store? We would have to do ours at our church and everyone bring all their needs for the evening. I think that would be so much fun and connect people at least once a month. Thanks for the great idea!!
Old 02-18-2012, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Nancy,

I must claim senior moment, the result of spending 4 days each week out of town working and taking care of my Mom who has dementia. ( at least that is my story and I'm sticking to it VBG). The machine I claim to have is not a Free Westinghouse. It's a 3/4 sized western Electric made by National. It's a real cutie!!

Cathy

[ATTACH=CONFIG]313075[/ATTACH]
Wow she is a cutie for sure! I love the 3/4 sized machines! Thank you for posting a photo. Cathy, you should go to the Photo Album here and post a few of these really neat machines for all of us to see. We started the photo album so we could all see the different machines without having to go through tons of text to find them! Always post photos here too, but the Vintage Photo shop here is a great place to go to if you want to drool over machines!

Nancy
Old 02-18-2012, 06:23 AM

Nancy,

Is Betty hard to treadle when piecing on two layers of cotton or just multilayers for quilting/ binding etc?

Cathy
Betty seems to give me a work out no matter what I am doing, but Cathy I think the reason I really notice that treadle's workout is because I only use her to put bindings on very large quilts. That means when I am using that treadle I am sitting for a long time tugging and straightening a lot of quilt all the while treadling. I usually have to go around each quilt twice because I have never got Betty to stay consistent in her stitch. She sews consistent with a nice stitch when doing only 2 layers, but when I have a binding to attach and I am going through 7 layers, she zips through those layers like butter, but her stitch gets really funky, hence I always go around twice. The plus side is that because she walks the quilt, I never get bunched fabric or tucks! That is the only reason I keep using her to put on bindings, even though I have to go twice to get a tight stitch.

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 02-18-2012 at 06:27 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by sew wishful View Post
What fun! I wonder if I could get something like this to happen around here. I'll have to ask at church...Is Meinseer's a fabric store? We would have to do ours at our church and everyone bring all their needs for the evening. I think that would be so much fun and connect people at least once a month. Thanks for the great idea!!
Yes Randa, Meissners is a quilt/fabric/they sell machines, and vacuums too store. They have a very large classroom. There have been times we had 20 + people in there on Girls Night Out, but we usually have about a dozen as Kathie said. We do a pot luck with no organization so we get all kinds of food and goodies. We all bring our own projects and machines. We eat, laugh, and sew - tons of fun! Lots of us met through Girls Night Out and have become great friends. So yes, it is a great way to connect with people once a month!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 02-18-2012 at 06:35 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:40 AM

I am excited! I have a riding clinic this morning, then I pick up my mocha 301 this afternoon from Cathy, then on to Girls Night Out! What a nice day this will be! Cathy, I am planning on using the 301 tonight - at least to play with her! Do they take the same low shank foot as the feather weight. I have an extra 1/4" foot I will bring to use. Also I think they use the same bobbins? This will be my first 301!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 02-18-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:54 AM

Nancy the 301's use the same bobbons as fw but they are slant shank and the fw feet won't work on it.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Betty seems to give me a work out no matter what I am doing, but Cathy I think the reason I really notice that treadle's workout is because I only use her to put bindings on very large quilts. That means when I am using that treadle I am sitting for a long time tugging and straightening a lot of quilt all the while treadling. I usually have to go around each quilt twice because I have never got Betty to stay consistent in her stitch. She sews consistent with a nice stitch when doing only 2 layers, but when I have a binding to attach and I am going through 7 layers, she zips through those layers like butter, but her stitch gets really funky, hence I always go around twice. The plus side is that because she walks the quilt, I never get bunched fabric or tucks! That is the only reason I keep using her to put on bindings, even though I have to go twice to get a tight stitch.

Nancy
Actually, I just thought about it and I am only going through 5 layers when I put the bindings on. The quilt top, back, batting, and a folded binding.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

Nancy, Get a walking foot that has been modified to fit a 301 and it will do your bindings just fine - Cathy will know what you need.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:05 AM

I used a hammer and a small nail for years, but finally gave in and bought treadle pliers. With the number of treadles I have run through around here, it was a great investment.
Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I cheat when I make the hole in my treadle belts. I have a small rotary burr that I put in my Dremel tool. Crank it up to about 9,00,000,000,000 RPM and it just zips right through the belt.
I'm not sure what I'd do if it weren't for the Dremel. What did they do in the old days?

Joe
Old 02-18-2012, 08:13 AM

Oh, yeah--I have 3 or 4 of these because I love the dragon decal!! I actually have one (at least one) with a hand crank, but I have absolutely no idea where it is right now.
Nancy,

I must claim senior moment, the result of spending 4 days each week out of town working and taking care of my Mom who has dementia. ( at least that is my story and I'm sticking to it VBG). The machine I claim to have is not a Free Westinghouse. It's a 3/4 sized western Electric made by National. It's a real cutie!!

Cathy

[ATTACH=CONFIG]313075[/ATTACH]