Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-18-2012, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Whigrose View Post
Um, so my dear friend Charlee has been tantalizing you with the bits of news, eh? She devil, that girl:-)
Looking forward to it! Pre-1900s...hmmm.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
*I* am tormenting them? YOU are the one that bought her and then went dancing with your beau! And I KNOW you have pics of her now...
Indeed I do have pics of her but really, would you like the world to meet you for the first time without a bath and makeup? She's had her bath and I think she giggled when I got in her crevices. She is amazingly clean, really although here front slide plate is significantly marred. I need to find out if there is a secret handshake or knock I am supposed to do to open her slide plates. I wouldn't call them rusted- not after a couple of them that I have recently worked on. We did resort to *gasp* a water-displacement product but that hasn't released one/both of them yet. I don't want to give a clue that might send the hounds on the chase just yet but there is a place where I might have to rub the lamp three times... and I just haven't figured it out yet.

best,
d
Old 02-18-2012, 09:19 PM

Ah D...on my BEST day I don't look as good as that old girl does without her bath and makeup!

Did you turn her over and establish whether or not she has a shuttle?
Old 02-18-2012, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Ah D...on my BEST day I don't look as good as that old girl does without her bath and makeup!

Did you turn her over and establish whether or not she has a shuttle?
Hun. You taught me well and I am a good student (g). Yes, her shuttle is there.

I am way so excited to try her out tomorrow. Short on belts around here so I'm gonna try the (giggle) pantyhose I couldn't fit into on New Year's eve. I can't possibly wait a week or so before leather gets here. I hope like the dickens there is a bobbin in the shuttle.

The guy said he has a box full of stuff in the attic that was in one of her drawers and when he comes across it he will call me (within the next seven days). I'm hoping for bobbins.

Best,
d
Old 02-19-2012, 03:10 AM

I believe that is a Wheeler & Wilson model. I have a similar machine.

Check out this page and scroll about 1/3 down for an image: http://www.sewalot.com/wheeler%20&%2...20machines.htm

Shari

Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
Another game of tell me what it is...found this listing while browsing CL. Looks kind of like the pics I've seen of Florence treadles, but I really have no idea what it is. I'm mostly just curious to know, and I bet someone here knows!

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/atq/2850172342.html
Old 02-19-2012, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by crewsemj View Post
Here is what I made to hold my big spools of thread. It is a paper towel holder. You can add 3 more dowels around the edge and it will hold 4 spools of thread (just so they are handy)! Have 2 of them and have been trying to find a 3rd at the thrift store for my treadle machine. Now if someone would just come up with something to keep the bobbins full!! Did I mention I dislike filling bobbins????
I love your idea for a thread paper towel caddy! Geeze, you guys are innovative! I also love that little New Home!

Trish, yours is great too! I also like the idea of winding all the bobbins and having them on hand too, especially when piecing!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 02-19-2012 at 05:19 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

Doesn't anybody just wind the bobbins as they sew? If you have two spindles you can you know.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
Playing catchup today with the threads. And now Charlee's got me excited to see what's coming up!

Saw a Gritzner handcrank today at an antique shop, decals gone, some problems with the base. It moved sluggishly, but it was still pretty neat. The bobbin setup was interesting. Too pricey for me at $132, especially for the wear to the finish. What was interesting too was that the base had 2 holes in it, just where a belt would go for a treadle. I wonder if these bases were made to be dropped into a treadle as well as to be portable? The base had a coffin top with it.

On the way out, I saw a couple of FWs close to the counter, one the older style and one newer. The older one was in rough shape, no bobbin, shredded case, no attachments, and was corroding along the bottom. They had it marked at $200. No price yet on the newer one in better shape. Oh, and the shop guy told me exactly why FWs were so expensive. (Drum roll) It's because all the sweat shops buy them so that their illegal workers can literally pick up the machines and run away when Immigration comes by. He was totally convinced that all the online auctions are bid up by sweat shop owners. I was astounded, had no idea of the power of my cute, clacky little FW.
OMG what a nice way to wake up! Thank you Bennett for the laugh! I woke up tired and sluggish, but this will get me going! I can just picture those gals/guys in sweat shops picking up the little FW's and running with them! What fun this shop is!

Nancy
Old 02-19-2012, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Here is a widget I made to guide the thread from the big serger spools to the sewing machine. Works pretty good too. This is Mr. Lucky modeling it for us. My wife doesn't use her serger much and all that thread is just sitting there. Soooooooo, I figured out how to use it. I took a piece of 3/8" dowel rod and drilled it out so it would fit down over the spool pin. Then drilled two smaller holes for the legs of a close pin spring and viola, a thread guide. Works beautifully too. Right now I have this set up on my #2 Singer 66 Treadle for sewing a quilt. Joe
Joe, the thread spool/stand you are using is the exact same one I used when I was trying to use the metallic thread in my 403a. I never thought that maybe it was not a good idea to go from the thread stand directly to the top thread guide? Did you try using the serger spools without your innovative dowel on the spool pin? What made you decide you needed to give the thread one more path to go through? Was it because your set up duplicates where the thread should originate?

Great idea by the way, but are you a little worried about using the serger thread since it is only 2 ply (I believe). Because a serger uses two threads and one or more threads in the loopers, the thread is weaker than say a 50 weight cotton thread?

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 02-19-2012 at 05:35 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by crewsemj View Post
Here is what I made to hold my big spools of thread. It is a paper towel holder. You can add 3 more dowels around the edge and it will hold 4 spools of thread (just so they are handy)! Have 2 of them and have been trying to find a 3rd at the thrift store for my treadle machine. Now if someone would just come up with something to keep the bobbins full!! Did I mention I dislike filling bobbins????
Crewsemj,
Your improvised tool is great, but that New Home is fabulous!

Best,
d