Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-09-2012, 08:17 PM

Miriam,

The internal timing belt on the Riccar is similar to the Siger 319's internal belt. However it is a different material and prone to failure when at this age. The Singer belts are pretty much bullet proof if they are not exposed to oils and grease.

Cathy

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Tells how much I know. My sister is in Arizona - she reads on here but doesn't say much. She got me started on repairs. I suppose I was already doing the repairs but she egged me on to doing more. She has a couple Riccar machines and likes them. Is that belt like the Singer 319?
Old 03-09-2012, 10:17 PM

I have been using a machine owned by a lady in a church group. She has another machine that she said she would sell to me cheap but it has a problem. We looked at it and what she tells me and what I am observing is that the machine threads, the bobbin is in correctly but when you lower the needle it doesn't catch the bobbin thread. It seems to be hanging on a spot in the part that the bobbin case sets in. In other words, the bobbin isn't catching but the part of the bobbin carrier that isn't removable is catching, hanging and breaking the thread. I hope this is making sense. So when the needle thread hangs in that area, it breaks. Could this be a tension adjustment problem. I watched Muv's video but it didn't seem to address the problem. Should I suggest that she take it to be repaired? The machine seems to work well other than the thread hanging. Oh, I don't know if it is hanging at the very same spot everytime.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Miriam,

The internal timing belt on the Riccar is similar to the Siger 319's internal belt. However it is a different material and prone to failure when at this age. The Singer belts are pretty much bullet proof if they are not exposed to oils and grease.

Cathy
I will store that bit of info somewhere in the pea brain - thanks.
Does that go for ALL Riccar machines or only certain ones?
Old 03-10-2012, 01:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MistyK View Post
I have been using a machine owned by a lady in a church group. She has another machine that she said she would sell to me cheap but it has a problem. We looked at it and what she tells me and what I am observing is that the machine threads, the bobbin is in correctly but when you lower the needle it doesn't catch the bobbin thread. It seems to be hanging on a spot in the part that the bobbin case sets in. In other words, the bobbin isn't catching but the part of the bobbin carrier that isn't removable is catching, hanging and breaking the thread. I hope this is making sense. So when the needle thread hangs in that area, it breaks. Could this be a tension adjustment problem. I watched Muv's video but it didn't seem to address the problem. Should I suggest that she take it to be repaired? The machine seems to work well other than the thread hanging. Oh, I don't know if it is hanging at the very same spot everytime.
Is the machine a Singer Featherweight or a Singer 301? If so you have to have the bobbin holder in the notch below the feed plate in line. If not, it may be the timing is out but I sure would want to check other things first. If you search through Cathy's profile, then go to her 'recently posted' you will find excellent instructions how to do timing. I have done it with no instructions - just trial and error. Instructions are a whole lot of help. Once you see how, you will smack yourself on the forehead and go 'that was easy'

Last edited by miriam; 03-10-2012 at 02:15 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:10 AM
Power Poster

I just re wrote one I did a while back: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...g-t182255.html it was difficult to find. I also added info Cathy posted recently on timing.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
I've been following along on the board, but life has me pretty busy. Our younger daughter is getting married April 6, and I have been constructing and beading a wedding gown for a week or so. I am sewing the dress using my mom's old Wizard, $66 from 1966, that made my wedding gown as well. And this is for the daughter that sews, and wants the machine, so I figure it is a plan to let my mom be a part of the process in a way. We still miss my mom terribly, but the world isn't stopping for us to lay down and cry, so the beading and dresswork goes on. Actually, my mom is laughing her head off, because I loathe, and that is an understatement, hand sewing, and this bodice is pretty beady. I will post pics upon completion.

I am sorry to hear of the losses, and furbaby issues...hope all is better for everyone. Neat machines appearing, and lots of good info. I have been on a sewing machine diet and after we get the wedding behind us, I am going to rearrange my sewing space to see if I have room for anything else.
Melinda, I totally understand your beading issue! I hand sewed 6500 beads on my own daughter's wedding gown several years ago! I took that dress to work even to get it done! I kept the packages the beads came in - that is how I knew how many beads that dress had on it! Please post a picture when all is done!

Nancy
Old 03-10-2012, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
I have seen basements back east that are dry, but I may have to find a home with a large loft since I don't plan on moving back east. It's always fun planning!

Joe. I wasn't planning on going after that machine since I really do not have room for it. I would have to let go of a treadle to make room for that one.

Although, it would make for a very cute universal treadle that could hold different heads that were dropped into for use....or maybe a bathroom sink cabinet...just joking. I wouldn't do that.
Monica wouldn't that be fun! I want a house with a loft too - and, I want the loft to be as large as the house and all mine for sewing and machines!

Nancy
Old 03-10-2012, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
If you are ever on that Hoarders show, I will then be watching!!!
I want to take part! I would have to take the Pfaff treadle and a few other jewels Miz Johnnny has - oh just to make her place less crowded you know!

Nancy
Old 03-10-2012, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

There must be some Murphy's Law about stuff expanding to fill the available space.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Nancy,

Here's another Hitachi. It's electric. This one sold at the Oakland Museum's rummage sale a few weeks ago.

Cathy

[ATTACH=CONFIG]318123[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]318124[/ATTACH]
Wow Cathy I just found this as I have not had internet for a couple days!

Monica, I know you don't believe that Hitachi made my machine or this machine, but I do. My Hitachi has Hitachi written all over that machine - even the treadle has Hitachi all over it. I do not believe it is a badged machine. The badged machines I know of were made by one company and sold with a new name by another company. I don't remember Sears, Wards, etc., selling a machine that said "Sears or Wards." They always renamed them Signature or Kenmore or whatever. Hitachi is such a well known company that I don't believe they would have put up with anyone else making, badging or selling machines with the name of Hitachi on it. I may be wrong and I will continue to do reasearch on the subject, but for now I see no reason to believe my Hitachi treadle was made by anyone other than Hitachi. Just my thoughts!

If any of you ever come across any information on the Hitachi sewing machines to prove or disprove my thinking - I would love to hear it!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 03-10-2012 at 06:30 AM.