Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-25-2012, 11:45 AM

I'm sorry Nanna-Up_North, I just noticed your questions in the Machine Photos thread! I wasn't ignoring you, honest!

For the Köhler, I wasn't able to follow Glenn's tutorials. The machine and cabinet both were coated with something other than shellac or varnish. Some kind of water based Poly is what Glenn figured. So the machine got cleaned, painted the dings and chips, and coated with TR3 car polish. It still needs some work on it, and when I have time, I will put more coats on it.
The cabinet got a complete strip down except for the door, which the spousal unit was very protective of and insisted that I leave alone. (I didn't, but more on that in just a line or two) I had to glue on the strip on the base of the cabinet that the lid attached to, as it had broken off from someone opening the lid and not supporting it. I also had to glue the legs on the front, which are 3 pieces of wood, back together. Those got the "glue on the business card" run between the pieces of wood and then clamped for 24 hours. I completely stripped the cabinet using a chemical stripper, and sanded it down. I stained it with Black Walnut stain, and then used shellac to finish it. I still haven't waxed it yet.

Thanks for asking, and I'm sorry I didn't see it sooner!
Old 06-25-2012, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
If Lily was at my shop she would be looking for mice in there - one cabinet I have came complete with a big honkin' nest down there.
Miss Annie the West Highland White terrier is my mouser. She thinks rabbits are tasty too. Lily is cute, glad I have dogs; they just lay on the floor when I'm working on a machine.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:08 PM

Charlee, would you please elaborate on the "glue on the business card" method of regluing? I'm picturing it as a method to apply glue in an area where you can't squeeze glue in. Maybe a substitute for a syringe? I have some areas of veneer that have lifted and this might be a good method to use. Thanks!

Jan
Old 06-25-2012, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
Miss Annie the West Highland White terrier is my mouser. She thinks rabbits are tasty too. Lily is cute, glad I have dogs; they just lay on the floor when I'm working on a machine.
My dogs lay on my feet or where I'll trip over them when I move but they do not see cabinets as spaces to investigate and possbily sleep in. Thanks for thinking Lily is cute - we all agree on that in the house. Not so cute when she's up a tree and can't get down. Spent the night up in the tree and then we used the chain saw method to get her out of the tree. She was awfully upset with us too for ignoring her all night when we got her down.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by jpete523 View Post
Charlee, would you please elaborate on the "glue on the business card" method of regluing? I'm picturing it as a method to apply glue in an area where you can't squeeze glue in. Maybe a substitute for a syringe? I have some areas of veneer that have lifted and this might be a good method to use. Thanks!

Jan
Jan, unless I'd have torn those legs the rest of the way apart, there was no way to just squeeze the glue into the cracks, so I put a thin line of glue over the cracks between the wood and used a business card to "push" the glue into the cracks. I repeated it 3 or 4 times until I felt I had enough glue to do some good, then clamped the pieces together, used a damp cloth and wiped off the extra glue that squeezed back out. When it was dry, I sanded to make sure that the external glue was gone before I stained the wood.

I can see that working for veneer!
Old 06-25-2012, 03:01 PM

Charlee, that's a great idea! I usually use an artist's pallet knife...wouldn't have to wash a business card!
Old 06-25-2012, 03:07 PM
Power Poster

I bought a 301 a few weeks ago so I thought I would clean it up. I got it all cleaned up - really impacted with lint... Then I thought I would test it - wound up a bobbin... when I put it in the case the whole thing flipped out of my hand - the bobbin went one way and the case went the other. I found the bobbin right away. The bobbin case... Well, I cleaned the floor in every direction. Moved piles of junk. Got out the light. Looked under stuff then I looked over stuff and around stuff... sifted through the trash can. ATE LUNCH... ggggrrrrrrr. Got a broom out again. Swept the far corners and under things it couldn't be under but needed sweeping out..... Put some stuff away. Got distracted a hundred times. Found the cord that I was hunting for for a week - the one that would have tested Nancy's Pfaff machine... Ok. sigh.... WHERE CAN A BOBBIN CASE GO???? I looked under the wall, in the door frame - there are gaps in there... I have a telescoping magnet thingy so I dug around until I found it. Then I ran it under and around everywhere - collected all kinds of stuff EW that shop is dirty. No bobbin case. I went around the room again. Finally I ran it around the table leg of the industrial machine I need to get re-homed... that little 301 bobbin case was stuck inside the table leg. Go figure - that thing had to really spin to get hung up there.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:15 PM

Okay, I picked up the Necchi Supernova, that my sister, with help from Monica, got for me. It is Super heavy!! It is dirty with the usually dust, grime, etc. If you look past that, It looks to be in very nice condition, a very unique base that it sits on, which adds to the weight. She also picked up a manual, a Necchi accessory box, Necchi bobbins, an extra Necchi bobbin case. There are two foot controls; will have to see which one works.
If it was not for you Monica, I would not have this machine, once again Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails necchi.jpg  
Old 06-25-2012, 03:21 PM

Here are two more pictures of everything. Didn't take a picture of the 2nd level of the accessory box, full of feet etc. My sister was excited by the matching little Green Necchi Screwdriver!
Attached Thumbnails cams.jpg   stuff.jpg  
Old 06-25-2012, 03:22 PM

I do not need another machine, but I love that moveable plate on the Supernova. If it sews as well as my plain little BF, you'll be pleased. That's a good looking machine.