Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-24-2010, 05:18 PM

have not done that yet, thanks
Old 07-24-2010, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Karen
Originally Posted by Kitzone
Karen,
I think the cabinet is great and your machine looks like it is in very good condition. You made a good choice. You'll really be surprised at how much she'll cleanup and the decals will be even more beautiful. Let us know how you get along with those Tuts.
Thank you Kitzone!

Where can I get a owners manual at? I tried google and came up with nothing. I didn't realize there was so much to learn!
Karen,
See if any on this website matches your machine:

http://www.ismacs.net/newhome/manuals.html

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Judy
Old 07-24-2010, 06:13 PM

My oh my! Leaha, Overlander and Nursie...What a collection of sewing machines you've posted. I'd not have a problem bringing any of these home (All the while grinning like a Cheshire Cat).

Thank you for sharing your treasures!
Old 07-24-2010, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Scotlass
Originally Posted by nursie76
Originally Posted by Scotlass
Oh my goodness, what a beauty....looks like Maisie is a perfect candidate for Billy's kerosene bath and polishing Tute.....those decals will just pop and she will shine with pride. Have fun!
I was telling my DH that he needed to look at Billy's tute. One question, doesn't the kerosene harm the decals?
I was really careful at first too, Billy said the kerosene won't take the decals off and it doesn't. I still would start carefully and begin in an area where it really won't show and when you get to the polishing part just follow his directions and use gentle circular motions and lots of cotton balls. You will be amazed how much crud will come off of her and how beautiful she will be when you are finished.

Scotlass
I know your husband will read the tutes carefully, just a note...the kerosene is really needed to get all the old oil/varnish out of the workings, but you can't help but get it on the outside of the machine, just wipe it off everyonce in a while during the bath part and your decals should be just fine. Good Luck, it takes patience, but so worth it!
Old 07-24-2010, 06:34 PM

I want to share pictures of my New Home! I thought it needed a belt, but it doesn't! I need help finding a owners manual for her and then get her cleaned and oiled and she is ready to go!

You all have some very beautiful machines! I have 6 right now and when I get my sewing room addition I plan on getting more!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-71560.jpe  
Old 07-24-2010, 06:34 PM

Thanks for that tip, I was thinking that the whole machine was submerged.... :oops:
Old 07-24-2010, 06:49 PM
Power Poster

Karen, your NH is beautiful. It looks just like the machine I learned to sew on. I wish I still had it...
Old 07-24-2010, 06:50 PM

Yes, I printed out the manual, but I'd still like to find the new Manual that is suppose to be out on how to care for the vintage treadles.

I got my machine all cleaned up and put a new belt on it along with the rubber thingy that makes the bobbin wind. I got a bobbin wound -- geeze what a funny little bobbin case and bobbin! So off I went to try and sew -- not so much -- I can't seem to get a rhythm going and all I do is go back and forth and break thread!

I think the machine needs a new check spring thing -- the spring keeps jumping above the little stop thing on the side of the tension disk then the thread comes out?

I love the machine, but I need a LOT of practice sewing -- treadling is not easy!

Nancy
Old 07-24-2010, 06:53 PM

Wow! Leaha, Nursie & Karen - awesome machines. I've seen so many of the chat room group showing off their finds I just couldn't help myself. Had to give this White Rotary a good home. I won't know till Monday when the tech gets back from a show how long it will take before she can even look at Brownie. I work at the shop, but only on Friday's so I'll probably be leaning over her shoulder the whole time. :) Can't wait to try him out. (this is definitely a male machine - he whispered to me when I saw him "take me home") :)
Old 07-24-2010, 07:55 PM

There are so many of you to thank for your thoughts and prayers. Miz Johnny, Billy, Kitzone, Crossstitcher, AnnaQuilts, Howard, & SewExtreme. I really appreciate you all thinking of me during this very trying time. Will do my best to recover quickly so I can get back here. I know I will miss the board and you here on VSMS. I will give you all an update as soon as I'm able, in the meantime I know you are thinking of me and praying for me and it really means the world to me. This board and all of you are just THE ABSOLUTE GREATEST!!! THANKS AGAIN!
Doug