Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 39 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 29 38 39 40 49 89 139 539 1039 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    **DROOL** That's a gorgeous cabinet! Old girl actually looks pretty nice too! I don't have any suggestions for you on the base of the machine, other than to smooth it down so that fabric doesn't catch on it, use an scratch retouch paint for autos for the bare areas, and just enjoy that old girl!!
    How NICE! :)

Blog Entries
    Terryl...Sophia is SWEET!!

I'll try to get a tute done soon on attachments...they can be fun to play with! :)

You have a ruffler, a pintuck, I see a zipper foot, a quilting foot, a seam gauge....lots of goodies there! :)

Miss Minnie also came with a lot of attachments in mint condition, I just forgot to photograph them. I'm totally estatic with Miss Minnie, I had to give her a test drive IMMEDIATELY upon seeing her :-D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terryl
    Miss Minnie also came with a lot of attachments in mint condition, I just forgot to photograph them. I'm totally estatic with Miss Minnie, I had to give her a test drive IMMEDIATELY upon seeing her :-D
    :) I saw the box in one of the photos....have fun with her!

I finally found a number on my Brunswick treadle sewing machine. The number 23112410 with what looks to be a y or 4 over the top the number. can you give me any more information? I read this section daily and have looked at every web site mentioned and have found nothing.

Banned
    That was probably one of the most expensive machines sold by Sears at the time. The cabinet is absolutely gorgeous and I love all of the details that went into it. This is one of my wish list machines and cabinets! I just hate the bed has the damage on it but you can paint the bed and not the entire machine so it will not stand out like a sore thumb.

But never the less I love it and I say you did very well on your purchase!!!!

Billy

EC
    Charlee, a tute on the attachments sounds like a hoot! My DH does "clean-outs" for one of the local real estate groups prior to home sales and has come home with a number of "finds". One was a Featherweight, one a treadle. He has also come across a number of boxes with attachments, and friends have given me ones that used to belong to their mothers. I've tried out a couple and they can be a lot of fun. Will be looking forward to a tutorial, as some of them I don't even recognize.

Not that you don't already have enough going on!!!!

The copy of the catalog page I got with Miss Minnie, listed her priced at $23.20 in 1908!!!!! That was big bucks back then. Do you know anything about the Minnesota machine? I've never heard of that brand. Of course all I ever knew about treadles were the Singers my grandmother had.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Terryl
    The copy of the catalog page I got with Miss Minnie, listed her priced at $23.20 in 1908!!!!! That was big bucks back then. Do you know anything about the Minnesota machine? I've never heard of that brand. Of course all I ever knew about treadles were the Singers my grandmother had.
    Here is some reading material I think you will find interesting. This is a quote from the Sears archives.......

"Richard Sears had been selling sewing machines by mail as early as 1889 under the name of Henry Hoverson & Co. However, the earliest record of an organized sewing machine department, showing Sears own brand name machine, the Minnesota (named in honor of his native state), appeared in the 1894 catalog (p.172). The introductory page in the section reads “Sewing Machine Headquarters,” and includes detailed copy about the entire line.

Although Minnesota was our primary sewing machine trade name for many years, some of Sears yearly models also included the Iowa and the Burdick. The catalog offered many nationally known machines, such as Singer and Franklin. As far as we can determine, the Burdick sewing machine first appeared in the 1899 Spring catalog and their last appearance was in Spring 1903. The Edgemere sewing machine appeared in the catalog from Fall 1900 through the Spring 1903.

The brand name Kenmore appeared for the first time in the 1913 Fall catalog, on a four-drawer drop head sewing machine, but the name was dropped in the Fall of 1919, and did not appear again until 1934. At that time, it was re-introduced and sold concurrently with the Minnesota until World War II. During this period materials were scarce and sewing machines were dropped from the catalog. After the war, the Minnesota was discarded and replaced by Kenmore.

As a matter of interest, “Send No Money” reports that the first order received at the Dallas, Texas M.O. Branch in November 1906, was for the highest priced Minnesota sewing machine.

A portable hand sewing machine, the New Queen, was offered in the Fall 1899 catalog at $9.90 for the first time. This machine had a patent automatic hand gear, nickel-plating and a patent positive stitch regulator. A full set of accessories came with this machine without additional cost. In the 1903 Fall catalog, the first name brand Minnesota portable machine was shown at $5.95 without a cover, and $7.95 including a bent wood cover. This machine had a detachable hand attachment and a full set of accessories free of charge with the order. A Kenmore portable was first offered in the 1913 Fall catalog. It sold for $6.75 with complete accessories and a wood cover.

In the 1918 Spring catalog, Sears introduced its first electric portable called the Franklin Portable priced at $38.75.

The zig-zag sewing heads were used for many years in Europe and commercial types were used in the U.S. It is only since the end of World War II, that these machines had been offered for domestic use in the U.S. The zig-zag sewing machine line consists of manually operated and automatic heads.

Sewing Machines with "Sears, Roebuck and Co." on treadle grillwork

As far as we can determine, the first appearance was in Fall, 1899 on the Iowa sewing machine only. In Spring, 1906 on the Model F Minnesota sewing machine only. In Fall 1907, it appeared only on the Homan Model and did so until Spring 1913, the last appearance."

Billy

Blog Entries
    Wow, Terryl, that is the most beautiful parlor cabinet i have seen. How beautiful it is just closed up. Sometimes I find it hard to figure out how I want to display: machine in or up and ready to be used. With yours, the choice would be difficult. Enjoy her!

Aren't the designers clever in their arrangement of how everything fits and works. I love their ingenuity.

I have been following the tutorial and admit to wondering if I can do this. But I have also looked closely at my 15-91 and besides being full of oily cobwebs and oily dust in every crack and crevice, I found a section of the wiring to the foot pedal has some cracks with the insulation fall off. I'm not too worried about that because it needs a new foot pedal anyway so I can buy that whole thing on that great website that SherriB gave a link for. But I also saw on that link the kind of gunked up grease that is likely to be inside of the machine and needs to be removed... and fresh put in. Why did I think that just because it looked pretty and had parts that moved easily that it should be "good to go?" And speaking of gunked up grease, a tube of partially used Singer motor lubricant is in one of the drawers. Is it likely that this tube is still okay to use?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Terryl...Sophia is SWEET!!

I'll try to get a tute done soon on attachments...they can be fun to play with! :)

You have a ruffler, a pintuck, I see a zipper foot, a quilting foot, a seam gauge....lots of goodies there! :)
    Oh, great, Charlee. Didn't know you were planning to do a tute on attachments. Several of my machines came with a lot of attachments, i.e. Singer 15-91 and my White Rotary for two of them. My White Rotary came with two zipper feet. One for the left side and then one for the right side. Must have been before they made one that you could slide to the left and right, right?

Thanks! :wink: I will looking forward to it. :-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Melody
    And speaking of gunked up grease, a tube of partially used Singer motor lubricant is in one of the drawers. Is it likely that this tube is still okay to use?
    Squeeze a bit out on your fingertip...if it's very thick and "hard" to push around, I wouldn't use it...otherwise it should be ok.

Thanks. It's soft and smooths on my finger easily, looks a little like vaseline but not greasy. I'm not opposed to buying new at all, just wondering if it's still available and if using this old tube is okay if it isn't available. Maybe I should have said, what do I buy as a replacement for this tube?

Blog Entries
    It's still available, and it shouldn't hurt anything to use this tube as well! :)

I don't have a Singer dealer close by, didn't want to wait to order it, and so I bought some White Lithium grease at Lowe's that's used for power tools...seems to be working fine!

Thanks! I appreciate soooo much the advice I'm getting here.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    It's still available, and it shouldn't hurt anything to use this tube as well! :)

I don't have a Singer dealer close by, didn't want to wait to order it, and so I bought some White Lithium grease at Lowe's that's used for power tools...seems to be working fine!
    I read this on Sew-Classic Blog about using white lithium grease

"After 50 to 70 years the grease that lubricates the motor bearings and the gear drive gets very dirty, breaks down and sometimes even cakes up. It’s best to completely remove this old grease, clean the bearings, lubricating wicks and worm gear and them replace the grease. In order to do a through job, I have found it's best to remove the motor armature completely.

I have seen machines where someone used a lithium based grease on the machines, and it was always hard - like brittle hunks of cement which have to be scraped and chipped off of the parts. So, I always caution against using a lithium base grease for this application."

The website has a lot of information. http://blog.sew-classic.com

I love old singer machines and am looking to purchase one. I would like a workhorse to use on a regular basis. Just need straight stitch and reverse. Is there a model you experts would suggest. I was bidding on a 66-16 and quit at $100.00. I have heard the featherweights are cute, but not as dependable and worry free as others?????

Just a quick question. I have a Singer Touch and Sew, Model 600. My daughter got it for me a while back and thought maybe I could use it. It is in a nice cabinet. I have not plugged it in yet although it appears to be complete. The thing I worry about is that the bottom part is really bowed out. Like maybe it was sitting over a heater vent and the heat maybe warped it.

So, my question is, is it worth trying to fix, or should I just get rid of it and put a better, perhaps older machine in the cabinet?

Blog Entries
    I love seeing all the old machines!!

Before I plug in my 15-91, I want to have it checked. Would a Singer repair shop be able to do this? There is a sewing machine repair shop that has been in our city for ages. Would you all feel comfortable taking one of your machines there?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SherriB
    I love seeing all the old machines!!

Before I plug in my 15-91, I want to have it checked. Would a Singer repair shop be able to do this? There is a sewing machine repair shop that has been in our city for ages. Would you all feel comfortable taking one of your machines there?
    Yes I would take it to the one thats been there for all those years. They have probably seen it all and that is a good thing when it comes to these older machines!!!

Billy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Katia
    Just a quick question. I have a Singer Touch and Sew, Model 600. My daughter got it for me a while back and thought maybe I could use it. It is in a nice cabinet. I have not plugged it in yet although it appears to be complete. The thing I worry about is that the bottom part is really bowed out. Like maybe it was sitting over a heater vent and the heat maybe warped it.

So, my question is, is it worth trying to fix, or should I just get rid of it and put a better, perhaps older machine in the cabinet?
    Try it out and see, you might be pleasantly surprised!! I try to fix them all but thats just me!!

Billy

Hello my name is Lisa and I am a sewing machine addict. I am going to have to block myself from Craig's list. I think I am getting okay deals, but now have more then a years work I think. Sorry I cannot get pictures of the machines and cabinets. I live alone and cannot afford to hurt my back again getting them out of the car. I will have to get a friend over to help. So three to add to the work pile and come up with names.

Domestic Series 153 Serial #153-127675, cabinet needs to be refinished but solid ($50). Has buttonhole attachment, other attachments and manuals.

Singer Model 15 ($70) that showed pictures of a few days ago with I think it is called the Gingerbread decals. The cabinet will need major work as half the laminate is gone on the top. The machine looks like someone tried to paint the bed, there was black paint over part of serial number #G3294489, 25,000 alloted October 29, 1913. The paint on the bed has lots of crazing, but decals are pristine. Bag of feet attachments in the drawer.

And 3rd - Singer serial # 260 6332 then large space and 45332. Picture below shows most decals gone and paint on bed missing, shuttle doors rusted shut. The coffin top cabinet needs resurfacing and the coffin top is missing one side. ($45)

No more buying until I have one up and running. The whole idea was to try a treadle machine. :?

CAn you help me id this machine?
    Name:  Attachment-68814.jpe
Views: 213
Size:  51.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by phyllis b
    I love old singer machines and am looking to purchase one. I would like a workhorse to use on a regular basis. Just need straight stitch and reverse. Is there a model you experts would suggest. I was bidding on a 66-16 and quit at $100.00. I have heard the featherweights are cute, but not as dependable and worry free as others?????
    You really can not go wrong with a 66, but you can get them all day long for under $50. If you need a back tack feature try finding a Model 15 either a Japanese version like what I have or a Singer. I swear by mine and it is my go to machine with drop feed dogs and all.

Billy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you for the quick reply. I just love this board...Thanks again.

Page 39 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 29 38 39 40 49 89 139 539 1039 ... LastLast