Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
This Weekend’s Yardsaling Finds >

This Weekend’s Yardsaling Finds

This Weekend’s Yardsaling Finds

Old 05-19-2014, 06:50 AM

Default This Weekend’s Yardsaling Finds

I only saw one sewing machine item at yardsales this weekend, a Singer Touch & Sew in a nice cabinet with matching compartment stool, but I didn’t get it. It was a nice cabinet & stool, but I don’t have room for any more cabinets unless I want to pitch one out to make room for it. I’ve given away nicer ones because they don’t sell very well around here.

I did pick up a 3-footed twin-tank air compressor at a store-closing sale that works, although it doesn’t set up straight. I’ll try to make a replacement foot out of an old pair of flip-flops. It’s the type that requires large suction cup-like pads under it to keep it from vibrating all over the place. Maybe three of them will hold it if the 4th foot is a soft rubber pad.

I’ll use it to replace the small paint sprayer compressor that I’ve been using to refill my air tank for the small amount of compressed air that I use when cleaning sewing machines. I like keeping the pressure down to about 50 pounds instead of the 110+ pressure that compressors normally build, and the air tank has more capacity to last me longer.

Last weekend, I found a couple of coil springs that I may be able to use to fashion broken obsolete bobbin winder frame springs out of, and a wooden handle that I might be able to use when I cobble together a hand crank for my big Adler. I think maybe it’s off of an old cooking pot of some kind, but it’s round and has a round rod going through the center of it that’s threaded on the end, so it should rotate like a crank.

You find anything?

CD in Oklahoma
Old 05-19-2014, 08:34 AM

I didn't have much luck this weekend. I did see some sort of old metal Singer in a case that was for sale but it didn't interest me. The woman said she was downsizing and had more machines but didn't know where they were. I left her my name and phone number and asked her to call me if she finds them and I would love to take a look-see.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:14 AM

Major score here. I stopped at a church rummage sale and picked up a pack of vintage class 66 bobbins for $.25. There were only 3 of the 4 present but it made me happy.
Sometimes it's the little things.
Rodney
Old 05-19-2014, 10:25 AM

Yard sales ....... around here ....... bwahahahahahahahahahaha

Joe
Old 05-19-2014, 01:18 PM

Nothing around here, either.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:28 PM

It can be pretty hit or miss. We have plenty around here but good ones are a different story. Sewing and sewing machines aren't my only interests. I'm also into old cameras though not actively anymore, old woodworking tools and antiques in general. I try not to think of how many boxes of old shoes and broken plastic toys I've seen while looking for something good. I've been a garage sale nut since before I could drive. My mom liked them and my uncle would take me sometimes too. He was a huge fishing reel collector before he passed and he used to go to a lot of sales looking for them.
Rodney
Old 05-19-2014, 01:33 PM

I didn't see a single sewing machine, did get a couple of skeins of sock yarn for 50 cents.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:31 PM

I checked out an antique mall looking for old machines. Found one Singer FW for $550, one for $299 and an old White Treadle also for $295. I passed on all three. Nice place though.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:51 PM

Saw a week old posting on Craigslist for a wooden card/sewing table- $10. Crummy pic, but it Was indeed a Featherweight table. Some rust on the metal legs and hinges, and top needs refinishing, but for $15 gas and table marked down to $5- it was well worth the trip. I have a 301 table and the rare 2 legged extension- also awaiting a Spa day, so someday I will get "a round tuit".
Old 05-20-2014, 07:12 AM

Red face

*** I found 3 pieces of fabric at bargain prices:

*** Brown/beige/pink floral 6.75 yds. marked $2.50 (original sticker price of $10.13)
*** Brown with musical notes 4 yds. marked $2.50 (original sticker price of $8.10)
*** Red floral 1 1/2 yds. marked $0.25
*** All for $4.00
*** Think I did OK.

Last edited by jbj137; 05-20-2014 at 07:14 AM.