Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
What SMAD looks like (very picture heavy) >

What SMAD looks like (very picture heavy)

What SMAD looks like (very picture heavy)

Old 11-07-2013, 07:29 AM

I have the monogram templates in the blue and white box. I got them because I thought that all the templates fit all the machines, that they would fit the Singer Deluxe Monogrammer. They don't - I ordered another one with the monogrammer and found that they are Kenmore and they seem to fit only specific types of Kenmore machines. So someday they will be leaving my herd of accessories to head to eBay. I my love them, but I don't have room any more machines! (Unless it's a really pretty hand crank!)
Attached Thumbnails monogram-templates.jpg   kenmore-monogrammer.jpg  

Last edited by deplaylady; 11-07-2013 at 07:31 AM. Reason: pictures
Old 11-07-2013, 07:30 AM

Monroe, I'm not sure which Kenmore we are looking for. I know it will be a 158-XXX model, and it will be one that also takes cams. The neat thing about this style machine is it takes a very wide throat plate, and has a lever underneath that "powers" a lot of the attachments. Most machines take attachments with a lever that hooks over the needle screw and goes up and down with the needle to operate the unit (like zigzaggers, buttonholers, rufflers and others). Ok - so I want the machine because it takes really neat attachments! I've gone from buying attachments for my machines to looking for Machines to go with attachments!

I've got a few people I'm got to dig out some items for - I'm not near as organized as I'd like to be, and I really don't intend to keep a lot of extras around.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

Wow, really awesome!!!!
Old 11-07-2013, 08:25 AM

Unless you're buying and selling, I'd say, get a life! another life without all that "stuff"....HAhahaha....BUT, if you're using some of it... go for it!

Not that I'm a pessimist, but I always think... what would happen to that "stuff" if I dropped dead tomorrow? My husband wouldn't know one thing about it; my kids would just throw it all out... maybe put an ad in the paper, but they are too busy for eBay and all my other friends have enough of their own "stuff", but I'm sure they would be offered mine.

I'm at a stage where I'm paring down... there is just no need for clutter or excess or collections (and I've had my collections of stuff in the past).

Good luck with your hobby.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Monroe, I'm not sure which Kenmore we are looking for. I know it will be a 158-XXX model, and it will be one that also takes cams.
I had a 158.19412 here that took those cams. I think there were 3 books in total. Cams, Monogrammer, and attachments. Maybe a 4th. There are others, but I"m sure of that model in particular. Just helping you narrow down the search
Old 11-07-2013, 10:08 AM

I also have a stack of accessories that I brought with us to Fl . What is not really needed here I am getting rid off.
Don't really expect to give away free but will go cheap. I am starting to think like cpfrog. It started with me few yrs ago when I wanted a puzzle box. Still don't have one but looking to buy.
One lady had a box with her treadle but wanted to sell both together. In a trailer I don't have room for a treadle but then lady changed her mind and kept them. So if anyone has a nice looking puzzle box I am interested because I saw one originally that had NOTHING in it and wondered what it was used for ---then I found out .

Promised myself I will sort these pieces and sell somehow this winter season so they can be used and appreciated rather than in bags under the bed.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I'd dearly love to get a crinkle finish Singer box.
I'll start looking for them then. I got outbid on a(nother) puzzle box last night - some day I'll have one.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:29 PM

Wow, what a hoard! I have a few motley vintage collections in addition to sewing machines -- telephones, sewing books/booklets, linens, and some more that I'm blocking out. So far I haven't caught the "attachment disorder", aside from wanting a few more items (like the single and two-thread embroidery attachments). Luckily I don't feel the need to have duplicate sets for each machine, or to have an original manual for each machine. My out-of-control addiction was vintage sewing notions, especially vintage bias tape. It started because 100% cotton bias tape is hard to find. I bought a shoe box-full on ebay, and it turned out that many of them were oddball brands. I did a little research on them and found an article about vintage bias tape by textile historian Joan Kiplinger, and I blame her for the addiction that ensued. My quest was to have every brand and every fabric type ever made. "New" brands were always popping up so collecting was always interesting and fun, but it was never-ending, which was good and bad at the same time. It got to the point where I had to buy big lots just to get one pack! That had to stop. I do still collect but much more slowly now. I'm getting to the point where the collections are just too much work to maintain -- finding room, organizing, keeping the textiles stored properly, and dusting all the time. The dusting is a real drag. I am planning to "deaccession" some things, but so far I've sold one thimble. Could I have sold anything smaller?! (Luckily I don't collect thimbles -- I just had one worth selling.)

Anyway...Back to your SMAD -- I have a question about a box pictured in your first post. It is a purple-lined wooden box in the lower left corner of the last picture. What is that box?
Old 11-07-2013, 06:03 PM

Shelia - I'm not sure what that box is for. It had an assortment of attachments in it, but I don't know if any of them were what it came with. The latch is broken though

This is one unique piece that came in the box (the rest were Singer and Greist that I know didn't come with it originally) - I love the star! However the fork is too wide to fit correctly in the box.

The closest I have to that style is this box

The bar is exactly the same in both boxes, though the location is different.

Here is another interesting set - I think this may be for an early White vibrating shuttle machine.

I love the way the feet hook into the bracket.

Part of what makes this so fun is you never know what might be hiding inside a box - this one was rather nondescript

And had all sorts of goodies in it - funny part, only one is a Greist foot that would have originally come with a container like this.

And here is another assortment that came in a box they would never have been in originally.

When they are mixed sets like this and the seller does not wish to take the time to figure them out and advertise them correctly - they can sell for way, way cheaper. The down side - I easily spend a few hours a day searching out items like this, but I don't watch TV or movies, so this is how I spend my "screen time".

Here is my latest - another item to go with my Gold Greist set.

It won't matter if my kids toss the whole lot when I'm gone - they can do what they want with their Inheritance, I'm doing what I want to do with mine. And that is part of the fun of it all, and I sure my Dad would approve. He was a stamp collector, and loved the oddball/interesting, and didn't have very many high end expensive ones, so he'd love my collection of odd ball/interesting attachments. Besides, I'm only 52, I'll worry about downsizing in another 20 years or so!
Old 11-07-2013, 06:05 PM

Remember this foot? When lined up correctly you can tell the needle will go between the forks.

And it has a screw and hole for a guide - so I figure it's safe to assume it's a quilting foot.