Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
What SMAD looks like (very picture heavy) >

What SMAD looks like (very picture heavy)

What SMAD looks like (very picture heavy)

Old 11-07-2013, 09:50 PM

Neat stuff! I have a few boxes with a similar look and similar latches -- one is for medical syringes and one is a Clark's mile end thread box. I think it's a common design from that era, but I've never seen one fitted for sewing machine attachments. The latches are somewhat flimsy and don't seem strong enough to hold something heavy like attachments (if one were to pick it up by the lid). Actually I've seen a lot of those broken latches -- I may even have one somewhere.

The hemmer that was in that box is great! The fork looks like it is offset in a different direction -- down instead of up. Maybe that's an illusion? Love that star cut-out. What does that foot say on it?

The only other wooden box for sewing attachments that I've seen is the W&W box. Does yours have the backwards "N" in "MachiNes"? Here's an example:
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1523...son-oak-sewing
I have a W&W box but my N is normal.

The feet with the "hooks" and bracket remind me of Davis VF attachments -- the shape of the wing nut and the design of the shank with the vertical hole in it. I don't have a Davis VF but I saw a video of one in action. The video is about binders on a few different machines. I think the Davis is nearer the end:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiOHh2yZ9gQ

There is another video by the same person in which she shows a fitted attachment drawer from a Singer 66 parlor cabinet (at about 5:50). Have you ever seen one of those?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtamX9dduC4
Old 11-07-2013, 11:51 PM

You have a lot of fun toys! It always starts with one of those boxes, and somehow they multiple. And treadling can be addictive. Have fun collecting and treadling!
Old 11-08-2013, 05:36 AM

I've discovered the "star" is for an old Domestic. I have one attachment for the Davis, the neat thing about them is none of them are Feet - because it's vertical feed, you never take the foot off. I've seen the attachment set and they all attach to the machine face - I've seen plenty of other hemmers that attach to the bed of the machine, but this is the only one I've seen where they attach to the machine head and hang down in front of the needle.

OMG - I had to run upstairs and look - and mine does have the backwards "N". I've never heard of that before.

I have another box that is the same - but does not have an engraved lid. It came with one of my older Singer treadles.

Last edited by Macybaby; 11-08-2013 at 05:50 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

Oh my...You are well supplied...You could start your own vintage shop....
Old 11-08-2013, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

At least you are organized! Couldn't have your level of addiction without being that organized.... So where are all the beautiful machines?
Old 11-08-2013, 08:05 AM

Organized? Right now they are spread all over my sewing room! Been so busy the last two months that anything that came in the door just got plopped down somewhere. At least now that our trip is past, I can settle in for the winter and figure out what I'm keeping and what needs to be passed on.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:51 AM

What an interesting collection and so complete! I envy the pinker I am still watching for one. I have gone to collecting thimbles and small sewing kits. They take up a lot less room!
Old 11-09-2013, 03:09 PM

Sheluma - thank you so much for posting those links to the videos! I did't realize that the hemmers had a screw that attached them to the foot rather than just sliding on! I went right to my box of extra parts and screws and found one for each of my puzzle boxes.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady View Post
Sheluma - thank you so much for posting those links to the videos! I did't realize that the hemmers had a screw that attached them to the foot rather than just sliding on! I went right to my box of extra parts and screws and found one for each of my puzzle boxes.
You're welcome! Glad you found the screws!