Wow, I saved one!! Advice?

Old 02-02-2022, 05:45 AM

Default Wow, I saved one!! Advice?

My kids bought a place and the place was loaded with junk. So much. Anyway, tucked inside a very ugly green sewing cabinet was a Singer dark green/light green machine. No power cord. But I liked her right away and the only other option was going to the dump (I know, yikes). Anyway, I've got her on a shelf, did some research and found out she is a 1956 15-125 which is the very same machine as a 15-91 (or I believe that is what my research indicated). This is exciting as I know those are great machines, just didn't realize I was lucky enough to find one. From an online source, I was able to purchase a power cord. Plugged her in and she runs! How I love that sound! Also I was able to purchase a printed owner's manual. Now I need advice. Do I oil as shown in manual? Do I take anything apart (I really am apprehensive about that part). What is the best thing to do for this machine? I"m thrilled to own this machine and I'd really like to set it up to run. Any and all advice greatly welcomed!!
Old 02-02-2022, 06:23 AM

I would oil where it says to oil. If it calls to take the machine apart I too would be cautious. There are some very skilled people here who know a great deal about this machine. I am sure they will jump in and advise you on what to do.
Old 02-02-2022, 07:19 AM

Could you post some pictures?

Here are picture instructions from Ourworkbench:

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Another way to post pictures can be found at 2021/2022, 2.5” Birthday Swap

Or simply - Make sure pictures are smaller than 2MB
Click on red "Reply" button
Click on the paper clip icon
Click browse - choose picture/s. (only 5 allowed per post)
Once they show up as being loaded, Scroll over to the right side and click on "Upload"
After the pictures show up as being attached, you can close that window and go back to the screen to finish posting your post.
Old 02-03-2022, 07:16 AM

Thank you, Joe

Yes, oil as instructed. You will probably want to clean the bobbin area and maybe behind the face plate. Many of us would take off the tension, bobbin winder and some other parts to clean and polish as needed. Be sure to take pictures as carefully taking apart. The bobbin winder can be kind of tricky as there are springs in them. The tension assembly can also be put back together incorrectly.

It is nice that you have an owner's manual.

In addition to oiling as instructed, I would suggest cleaning the bobbin area. The needle plate is fairly straight forward to remove so you can clean underneath and the feed dogs. Thread properly and test sew.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 02-03-2022, 11:26 AM

Congrats on your find. Like everyone has said, oil it everywhere the manual shows to oil. Clean and polish anywhere you can get to easily. Cleaning under the needle area where often there is copious amounts of lint is a great idea. I've never messed with a 15-125, but it should be about the same as a 15-91. Once you've cleaned and oiled everything, sew with it and listen to it. If everything moves easily and quietly, I'd quit there and enjoy it.

You will find a few videos on the 15-125 on youtube, but many more on the 15-91 telling how to clean, oil and refurbish. The 15-125 is a 15-91 in a new body. The insides should be about the same.

bkay
Old 02-07-2022, 05:03 PM

Sorry I am late. I would add oil under the bed , behind teh faceplate anyplace that metal rubs metal.
Looks like the one on the right?

https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...653-561421.jpg
Old 02-07-2022, 05:04 PM

Also take off the round cover that the light is mounted on. Lots of metal to meatl places under it that could use oil'
Old 02-15-2022, 05:04 PM

Great save---I would add this bit of advice. I just got a Singer 15-91 up and running that I bought last summer. If your machine is very similar to the 15-91 with the potted motor, then you might want to keep reading. If not then the following info might not apply. There are 2 little motor grease "cups" that you need to fill with motor grease----not oil----grease. Luckily I had a small tube of this that came with the machine that was vintage--original Singer motor grease. I thought the machine was running great until I kept trying it out with different stitch lengths and then the motor just kept getting slower and slower and slower. SO I did something that we all should remember to do. I read the manual. These grease cups are very important to the potted motors since they are direct drive not belt driven. I cleaned out the cups, and squeezed in some in (kinda reminded me of giving our cocker spaniel ear drops....I squeezed in some but no idea how much or if enough, to much etc). I then began sewing and the machine was still very very slow. But as the grease melted and coated the necessary parts it began to go faster and faster and faster. Now it is running so well. BUT......I dodged a bullet. Had I not put the grease in, the motor could have burned up. Just something to check if your machine does indeed have a potted motor like the 15-91.
Old 02-16-2022, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Heathermom2opmc View Post
Great save---I would add this bit of advice. I just got a Singer 15-91 up and running that I bought last summer. If your machine is very similar to the 15-91 with the potted motor, then you might want to keep reading. If not then the following info might not apply. There are 2 little motor grease "cups" that you need to fill with motor grease----not oil----grease. Luckily I had a small tube of this that came with the machine that was vintage--original Singer motor grease. I thought the machine was running great until I kept trying it out with different stitch lengths and then the motor just kept getting slower and slower and slower. SO I did something that we all should remember to do. I read the manual. These grease cups are very important to the potted motors since they are direct drive not belt driven. I cleaned out the cups, and squeezed in some in (kinda reminded me of giving our cocker spaniel ear drops....I squeezed in some but no idea how much or if enough, to much etc). I then began sewing and the machine was still very very slow. But as the grease melted and coated the necessary parts it began to go faster and faster and faster. Now it is running so well. BUT......I dodged a bullet. Had I not put the grease in, the motor could have burned up. Just something to check if your machine does indeed have a potted motor like the 15-91.
On the 15-91, the grease cups are particularly hard to get to. The 201-2 was easier to get to the cups, rather replace the cups. I almost never got the tops back on on cups of the 15-91. (I really wished I had John and Janey's invention that turns the machine upside down at that point.)

Use Vaseline to fill the "grease" cups, as the singer grease is no longer available. Vaseline has a melting point that is close to the one required for the machine. It is widely recommended for that purpose. I used a clean syringe that I had left over from doggie medicine.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 02-16-2022 at 06:30 AM.
Old 02-16-2022, 07:36 AM

I was going to raid the bobbin and bobbin case from my 15-125 today to try in a 15-91. whoops. The arm on the 125 is a different angle than the 91. Rats