Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 01-05-2011, 10:26 AM

Thanks Elle! :D I am in one BOM with a different quilt shop and the other pattern is in the book I just received!!
Old 01-05-2011, 11:08 AM

Which ones are you doing then Meredith
Old 01-05-2011, 11:27 AM

I am in the BOM for My Renaissance. There is a pillow design and a wall hanging in the book, I may plan those later after Stargazer Jane is finished! :D The other BOM is the Floral with the light background, the pattern is also in the book, that will be much later... :wink:
Old 01-05-2011, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by wilhelmina
I'm having second thoughts about the AOTH too, as I can't decide a good method to avoid all the needle hand thread work and it is such a large part of the overall look of this quilt...

Elle, you might want to look at some of the William Morris designs. I have recently fallen for them and received a book I had on order yesterday, I love everything in the book!
The site I posted here a few pages back, where the AOTH had won a prize (had a different border to the original) was all done by machine - it can be satin stitched, or buttonhole stitched, so no hand sewing unless you want to sew the curly bits in yellow by hand

All stitched by machine (satin stitch) and it looks good to me:
http://cherylquilts.com/affairs_of_the_heart.htm
Old 01-05-2011, 12:24 PM

I am in the BOM for My Renaissance. There is a pillow design and a wall hanging in the book, I may plan those later after Stargazer Jane is finished! :D The other BOM is the Floral with the light background, the pattern is also in the book, that will be much later... :wink:
Just looked at My Renaissance, thats is a beautiful one too. there areseveral quilts on that site that I like.

Elle
Old 01-05-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
The site I posted here a few pages back, where the AOTH had won a prize (had a different border to the original) was all done by machine - it can be satin stitched, or buttonhole stitched, so no hand sewing unless you want to sew the curly bits in yellow by hand

Thanks Lesley, its those curly bits in yellow that are giving me pause, I cannot sew that much by hand. Initially, I thought I would do something modified by machine...

It is a BEAUTIFUL quilt! I had just about decided I would use a cream background with reds and pinks, although I have a lovely bundle of batiks I purchased at a quilt show last year that want to be used! :lol:
Old 01-05-2011, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lacelady

Thanks Lesley, its those curly bits in yellow that are giving me pause, I cannot sew that much by hand. Initially, I thought I would do something modified by machine...

It is a BEAUTIFUL quilt! I had just about decided I would use a cream background with reds and pinks, although I have a lovely bundle of batiks I purchased at a quilt show last year that want to be used! :lol:
Do you have a 'hand stitch' on your machine? It sort of stitches three stitches on top of each other before going on to the next one - if so, you could use that. Or you could use a thicker thread in your bobbin, and machine from the back. You would have to mark the back of your block doing it that way, but it's perfectly possible. You could also use your machine to couch a thicker thread from the front, with a very find zig zag. It helps if you have a foot with a hole in it just in front of the needle that you can thread the thicker thread (or fine ribbon) through, so that it arrives just under the needle as you zig zag over. Part of the fun of these quilts is the challenge of doing something you haven't ever tried before.

I think all the DJers were in that situation a year ago, there was a lot of fear and trepidation, especially from those who had never hand appliqued, but they have all done beautiful work, even if it was a learning curve. That is what this board was all about, lots of help and encouragement.

I love the idea of your colour scheme too - it would look so different and pretty.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:55 PM

Lesley, Yes, I have a Bernina with a wonderful library of stitches, its all those small curves and heart shapes...I will play around a bit more and maybe try to stitch the curvy parts as practice on one of the busy blocks. Reds and pinks with all those hearts just seemed a natural. The black background is stunning, but my black trim on my Baby Jane is just about enough black for a while.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:07 PM

I am waiting on my aoth book. Should have it soon. I will be doing it in needle turn applique. It's my passion. Oh gosh...and some are backing out already :( I haven't decided if I will do the aoth in the black backround...or a tonal cream. It will be scrappy not batiks. I don't have many batiks. I have so many projects going. I started the Vintage Valentine quilt by Vintage Spools. Had that pattern for a couple of years. I am on the BOM Swap here. Also worked on the BOM 2011 on here and worked all afternoon on and finished my paper pieced church for it! Never did paper piecing before. I enjoyed it after I caught on! May do some of my Dear Jane blocks in paper piece now. Yes, doing the DJ too!! I could go on....I work on one project and think about another! I have the All Around the Town pattern too that I would like to start. I see someone has it as their Avatar :thumbup: I have a few quilts that need to be finished with hand quilting. My husband doesn't understand why I stay up in my "room" so long :roll: Ok rambled enough! Catch up again soon!
Old 01-05-2011, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

OK, I think the scallop question got lost in the AOTH discussion. (we really do need to start a new thread even just for the discussion! :shock:- we are very chatty about all things aren't we??:lol:!) I know that Lesley did hers by sewing them individually (I'm pretty sure) as she said they would match up easier. I am planning to use a long strip and then cut the scallops as I think it will be easier for me...but I could change my mind at any time- I'm a girl~ afterall!

I'm still planning to do the AOTH as I think I will like it better with different fabs. I loved it on line..when I got the book, I wasn't impressed with the close ups of the blocks or fabric choices..but I think I will like it AND it will give me some hand work that I think I will need this spring/summer. Whatever you choose to work on Elle and Meredith...I hope you will share them with us! (We'll just take over Lesley's thread...hahahahahahh!!!!!)