Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along! >

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Old 12-16-2013, 04:18 PM

I will be doing pieced if you chose to do applique that is ok too, I think at least one round with some applique looks quiet stunning I personally am not so grand at it so thus no applique for me. I will be posting a simple center to use as an option and you again will be able to use any center you chose. There are a couple ideas for 24.5 inch blocks and oodles for 12.5 inch blocks in quilterscache.com. Also aboutquilting.com has quiet a few 12.5 inch blocks that you can easily double the size and make a 24.5 inch block. If you chose to do a panel some are rectangular.. you can work with that if you make sure you start with divisible block. If you take your square center and at some point want it to end up rectangular you can add a wider border on top and bottom and thus changing the shape. We will discuss this more about the third month in. Choices choices choices! if you like you can do as Jaba has done and come up with a couple options. Jan, I love that blue indian colored center. It really pops out at you when you show it like this in a picture. I saw it today said it was so pretty and the other on instantly caught my eye. Now seeing in photo print wow its the sure fire winner. You would love playing with that! and I would love watching it grow into a full grown quilt!
Old 12-16-2013, 05:01 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]452063[/ATTACH]

this is one center I have made, a theme based on my Moms favorite things.. memory quilt. these were her favorite flowers.
Attached Thumbnails 1510547_751293908218111_1467389200_n.jpg  
Old 12-16-2013, 05:02 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]452065[/ATTACH] this one could be a quilt for my grandchild, a .. sunny day quilt
Attached Thumbnails 994990_751293868218115_64993724_n.jpg  
Old 12-16-2013, 05:05 PM

so you see you can chose to do a very difficult center if you like or you can do something simplier. its up to you! and you can use a panel which pretty much couldn't be easier if you wanted it to be! so play to your own ability. I know that round after round even a simple center can be very detailed and colorful. I said before scrappy might just work great. I am using scraps in the yellow quilt, mixing them with white and think I can come up with a pretty rainbow quilt for my grand child. The other one will require some fabric purchases to get the desired combinations. I will have to ponder which one to use here and which to use in another round robin I am in.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:14 PM

Please count me in. I will follow along and post when I can. I may not start exactly on the 1st. But I will look at my fabric and make a block and post it when I get it finished. Thank-you both for having this quilt along. Bye for now and happy sewing.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:19 PM

This sounds like fun! I'm going to join in and see what I can come up with too Thanks for this 'Brat and Jaba
Old 12-16-2013, 05:20 PM

I like the yellow one too brat, it could be stunning! After you left today I found this funky blue. I've never done a blue and "green"...what do you all think?[ATTACH=CONFIG]452067[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dscf1742.jpg  
Old 12-16-2013, 05:51 PM

Oh my goodness just saw this I told myself I was not going to start any new quilts in 2014 as my UFO list is out of hand but this sounds so fun. I am in can't wait until January 1st now decisions I have a couple of ideas we will see which one is the chosen starter.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:59 PM

welcome Christine! we cant wait to see what you might come up with!

Jaba wow that is one cool block. I think its so wild it could really work. however, wishing you would use that blue and brown jewelry southwestern quilt block that one just says USE ME! lol ok do two what the heck. or three you move so fast you could have three going at one time..
Old 12-16-2013, 06:25 PM

Thanks for the confidence brat, Bill just looked at them and told me that turquoise and gold medallion type quilt WAS staying at this house. I was surprised, think he likes it a lot too!! After all, when we went to Billings the other day and were in the Bernina quilt shop, he picked out the gold and brown fabric and said you need to get this too. So nice to have a hubby that likes your hobby!

Last edited by jaba; 12-16-2013 at 06:27 PM.