Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The fws pony club  update  photo - discussion - completed page >

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

Old 03-06-2013, 08:30 AM

JanieW, dgs is four; will be five end of May...cannot believe dd has been married six years this June!! Of our three children, dd Cindy is the only one married and with a grand child: a son. Another PC has graciously let me 'adopt' her 3 young darling grand daughters, I have thoroughly enjoyed her stories back. Which reminds me, Easter is coming up and I need to get a box started to send to them.

Will Friday ever come??? DD is a electronic engineer, worked with Compact, and with Lockheed Martin on programming space shuttle to Mars (the one which worked) then retired to be a wife and Mother. Several companies has tried to recruit her, but she is enjoying her stay-at-home Mom work. So she has build dh a new computer and is bringing it out to him from Lincoln, NE...with dgs. Her dh is also an electronic engineer, often traveling on weekends, North, East and West for his company...a division of Dell. He is thee prefect son-in-law, I think, really caring for his family, and taking an active role in caring for their son. DD has many projects that I completed and gifted her with, and she still has them after all these years and several moves later...dating back to her teenage years.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:31 AM

The tut I sent has a controlled scrappy hence the red triangles. Don't be afraid to use a lot of different scraps having only the muslin and red square constant. The one I started had a different color family in each round I.e. four different green, four different reds, etc. if you are now making the block using only one color with the muslin, DON'T change a thing. If you look at Mirabelle's quilt, where the blocks join can have four different colors so don't worry about the color of the triangles. I've had a big dose of Bonnie Hunter and there are some beautiful scrappy quilts and this is an opportunity for any of you to dip into that bag of scraps that are too good to throw away but you don't have a project for. I intended for this block to be a very undemanding block and could never have dreamed it would have gotten this much attention.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:01 AM

Thanks, GardenGal, for teaching me a lot more about the pineapple block and how easy it can be; I never dreamed of doing this block before. I always heard they were a lot of work and hard to get right. Directions will get stored in a safe place to retain longer and try again. It is a great day when you have to opportunity to learn something new.

New block I am working on its coming out to the measurements it should. Maybe there is a small pineapple quilt coming from scraps here.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:59 PM

So glad I could help with this one, now I am off to the LQS to finish a quilt. We had heavy rain last night and we still have this monsoonal trough sitting off the coast, the weather people are saying next week it could develop into a cyclone, definitely hoping that is not the case.
Have a great day everyone
Old 03-06-2013, 01:59 PM

Has anyone begun to work on Carrie's friendship circle? Mine is coming out to 13 inches and I don't know how to adjust the size on my printer.
PC quilt all bordered and I plan to bind tomorrow. I can see the finish!!!
Old 03-06-2013, 02:10 PM

I haven't made my own block, so I am not much help on that one specifically, but have printed others from quilters cache...was your test square 1" when you printed the template?

When I go to the "print template" link it opens a window with the template. If I then click on "file" and "print preview" I can found "scale" and click on "custom"...I noticed on mine it said 95% even though I had it set to print at 100%, so changed it to 105 under custom for a different block and the "test square" came out right....I haven't tried with the Friendship Circle yet though...hope this makes sense!
Old 03-06-2013, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by carriem View Post
I haven't made my own block, so I am not much help on that one specifically, but have printed others from quilters cache...was your test square 1" when you printed the template?

When I go to the "print template" link it opens a window with the template. If I then click on "file" and "print preview" I can found "scale" and click on "custom"...I noticed on mine it said 95% even though I had it set to print at 100%, so changed it to 105 under custom for a different block and the "test square" came out right....I haven't tried with the Friendship Circle yet though...hope this makes sense!
Yes it makes sense. I've not had a problem before so I didn't check it real close but now I see that it's about 2 threads off all around. Wouldn't think it would make that much difference would you?
Old 03-06-2013, 03:01 PM

Ggal--I am sure it will be just fine. I am not too picky!!
Old 03-06-2013, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by carriem View Post
Ggal--I am sure it will be just fine. I am not too picky!!
I'll try to reprint it from my laptop. Cutting the block down after you get it will make the circle flat in places.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:42 PM

What friendship circle???? Don't think I have heard about that one; but then I do not do circles...with quilt patterns.