Another name for Grandma?

Old 04-30-2011, 11:02 AM

were o call by a nick name wheneu were a kid. my name was reneau[renee] but was called nana for short well it stuck so that what my gds,gdd calls me wonted to be mema
but got stuck with nana
Old 04-30-2011, 11:10 AM
Banned

Oma......it is German
Old 04-30-2011, 11:33 AM

My sons kids call my husband and I grandma and grandpa. The other grandparents are called papaw and omi. My youngest grandson calls us the boy grandpa and the girl grandpa. I think it would be hard for you to decide what to put on the quilt. Guess I would just sign your name and let the child decide what she wants to call you when she gets older.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:39 AM

My sister-in-law goes by the name Marmie. Her granddaughters call her that and my own granddaughter calls her Aunt Marmie. It's pretty cute. another friend goes by Oma (German). Me - I'm just plain Grandma. I wanted to be Grammy but Noah started calling me Nama and then it went to Mammy - that's when it changed to Grandma!
Old 04-30-2011, 11:46 AM

Mam, Nana, granny, grammy.
Keep in mind the child WILL choose a name for you.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:46 AM

We called the grandmothers Grandama Millie and Grandma Betty. Then when my youngest was about 3, he made the connection that there was a "Betty Lou" in Sesame Street and he had a Grandma Betty. So he started calling her Betty Lou and it stuck for all the granchildren. She LOVED it! Grandma Millie just morphed into Grandma, so it all worked out.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:52 AM

Know a lady who only has one grandchild and DGD calls her Grandy------thought that one different.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:56 PM
sap

my grnds wanted to call both gramdmothers on both sides grandma. so I'm grandma shirley n my dil is grandma eva. works for me
Old 04-30-2011, 01:21 PM
Power Poster

We are Grandma and Grandpa (DH is stepdad to my sons but kids don't care), DIL parents are Nana and Zeyda, and my ex and wife are Pops and Grand JoAnn. Seems like we all picked our names and no one objected. I've heard Bubba, Bubbie, Meemaw, Mawmaw, Mimi, MaMA (accent on last MA) Ganny, Granny, etc. One of my friend's grandchildren call her Blondie!! Let us know what gets decided!
Old 04-30-2011, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by JulieR
Originally Posted by Mamagus
Matt has already told his dad that his Mom's new husband will NOT be "Poppy-Kevin". So that leaves me wondering if that was a hint... I will not be "Nanny Lori".
Was the comment intended to reassure your DH that HE is the grandparent they wish to honor, not the new guy? Maybe they don't like Kevin, or his mom was snotty about it. Maybe it has nothing to do with you at all.

I say just ask. Acknowledge you aren't the biological grandma but you'd love to have a relationship with their child, and what would they like you to go by? You aren't being pushy about it, just giving them the opportunity to make the decision themselves.

Whatever they decide, as others have said it isn't really important in the long run. What is important is having a good relationship with all of them.
Amen Sister! I was going to suggest you send the parents a note or email (so you don't put them on the spot - we know how hormonal Moms-to-be are!) and tell them how excited you are, that you realize you're not the 'real' grandma (that will be up to you and the baby!), and just ask how they would like you to refer to yourself.

I was in your shoes 15 years ago, my SD and I had a pretty good relationship but I was still the step. My sweet MIL told her to give me a chance, and SD said her heart melted the first time she saw me hold the baby and my smile was as big as her Daddy's. Four kids later we are Grammy and PaPaw.

Just love the baby, ask Mom what you can do to help, don't offer advice unless asked - it will be OK :-)