Another name for Grandma?

Old 04-30-2011, 07:17 AM

Normally the first grandchild will decide on what you will be called; you don't really have much of a say, unless you are very persistant.

However, what about your board name, 'Mamagus'? I really like that...

My name is Kathy, and I was not yet married to my husband when our first granddaughter was born, and since all his adult children called me Kathy, & the first granddaughter had difficulty saying that when she started talking, she called me 'Kaky', which is what all the rest of the grandchildren have called me, and I love it. It is definitely unique...
Old 04-30-2011, 07:25 AM

I have a Granny, Mammy, I'm G-Ma to 2 DGC and Grammy to the youngest.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:39 AM

my great grand daughter calls me----- mam ma .
Old 04-30-2011, 07:40 AM

Could you do the label with "Made with love for my grandson (or granddaughter) and then sign your own name. That way it doesn't have to be decided now. Many times the child will come up with their own nickname for a loved grandparent.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:05 AM

All of my grand kids call my husband grandpa and all of his grand kids call me grandma Cookie.

Cookie
Old 04-30-2011, 08:05 AM

There are several books out with alternative names for grandparents. So look online or go to the library. One is "You can call me Hoppy". I personally wanted to see what my granddaughter would end up calling me, but my son called me Mammy till I chose one.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mamagus
My husband's son and his girlfriend are soon going to be parents.
From that first line can you tell I don't really have a role in this? I want to be a grandma to this child and have made the quilt, ordered the crib, bought oodles of clothing for her... They live over halfway across the country, so I won't get to see her very much.

Matt has already told his dad that his Mom's new husband will NOT be "Poppy-Kevin". So that leaves me wondering if that was a hint... I will not be "Nanny Lori".
Amazing how unnecessarily hurtful people can be. What would it hurt for step-parents to be included in the grandparent names?

I have 3 daughters and my DH has 3 daughters and 1 son. So far only my oldest daughter has given us a granddaughter. She calls me Nonie and my DH is BoomPa. Her other grandmother is Paka (her name is Pat and this is what my DGD came up with on her own). Her two other grandfathers are Granddad and PopPop.

If my DD had tried to have my DGD call my DH by his first name, she certainly would have heard from me that she was being an immature, hurtful brat and that would NOT be happening. I'm so glad I didn't have to go there with her, but I won't tolerate that kind of intentional rudeness.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:21 AM

My grandkids call me grammy. If we message online I am G-ma. My friends grands called her mimi. Three of the grands also have a nana, a memaw, and a grandma on their other side of the family. I don't really care what they call me as long as I can spend time with them and be there when needed.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:27 AM
pal

My wonderful DIL asked me what I would like to be called when she and my son decided to marry, then, again, when they were pregnant.

Why don't you decide what you would like to be called and suggest it to them.

How 'bout "Mamagus"?
Old 04-30-2011, 08:38 AM

I didn't really care to tell you the truth. As long as it wasn't memaw. Sorry but I just couldn't stand the sound of it. My granddaughter ended up calling me dama so that was fine with me. And besides it raised people's eyebrows a bit and I liked that. lol
If I actually had chosen I would have liked nana but all the rest call me grandma.