Another name for Grandma?

Old 04-30-2011, 05:26 AM

When my first grandchild was born, he had so many grands on both sides of the family so the two grandmothers - Marge became Mimi and Dorothy became Dede. The grandfathers and great-grandfathers became Papa Ted, Papa Bill, Papa Joe, etc. The great-grandmothers received a deviation from their actual names - Betty became Bobbie, etc... all names which were easily said by a small child. Only the older of the great-grandparents received the titles of Grandma and Grandpa with their last names. This name calling continued on to my now adult granddaughter with a different set of grands on one side and it's so special to be someone's Dede.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:36 AM

I have a stepson and someday (many years from now I hope!) I know I am going to be thrilled to become a grandma. Will this be your first "grandchild"? When you talk to your husband's son, be sure to express your joy and excitement for this new baby. Draw him into the conversation and the decision of what you'll be called. Perhaps the comment about his stepfather was the stepfather's call. I've certainly known women who say "I am NOT going to be called grandma!", and this man may have that same mindset. I also had an aunt who said her step-grandshildren could not call her grandma, but she softened with time. :-) So, that comment may have nothing to do with you.

Think about what your stepson and his girlfriend call their grandparents. So often, we tend to encourage our children to call our parents a same or similar name as we used for our grandparents. Personally, I expect that I'll be called "Maw-Maw" just as my mother was. However, I'll be equally pleased with Nana, Grandma or just about anything except Granny or Nanny, lol. I have a friend whose children called her mother Grandy. I always thought that was cute.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:43 AM

My son and daughter asked me what i wanted to be called
her mother was going to be grandma and I wanted to be nana. to me its less confusing for the kids.I only had 1 grandparent growing up so it wasnt an issue.But if you have several grandparents and ggrandparents,it would be hard for the kids to keep them seperate in thier brain unless they are different or attach another name with it such a grandma susan or grandpa joe
Understand what i mean?
Old 04-30-2011, 05:45 AM

Why not just ask them and explain why.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

Mama...I have a friend whose grands call her "Bella"...I think that has a pretty ring to it and isn't to "grandmotherly" that they would object to it.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:56 AM

I am in a similar circumstance and I am Nanny all the other names were taken and my own grandchildren call me Nanny also. It is nice to have your own "name"
Old 04-30-2011, 06:00 AM

Not sure how this one came about, but my 1st grandbaby, a boy, started calling me NomNom as soon as he started talking. He also started calling my husband, his maternal grandpa, Bumpa. Both of the names have stuck and 4 years and another grandbaby later we are still NomNom and Bumpa. I LOVE it!!!
Old 04-30-2011, 06:04 AM

since my grandsons have so many grandparents and greats as well, I am nana to my gsons....and when my daughter had steps sons i was also nana.....grammy is what my one daughter calles my mom and when my other dd writes about her grandparents (my folks) she calls them gpeeps lol so there are lots of ways to call the grandparents... and kids will always find their own names for you and as long as they love and hug and kiss on you etc will answer to whatever i am called...
Old 04-30-2011, 06:06 AM

LOVE comes in so many names......My neice called my folks Grandma & Granda Sheba...& the other Grandparents GP & GM Tinker...those were the names of their dogs...she did the names by herself when she was a tiny girl. Made sense to me
Old 04-30-2011, 06:15 AM

It was much simpler when I was a child. Grandmas & Grandpas were "Grandma & Grandpa (insert last name)". Aunts & Uncles were "Aunt or Uncle(insert first name)". Plain & simple. Even for my Grandpa Gxxxx, who technically was a step-grandfather.