Another name for Grandma?

Old 04-30-2011, 03:56 AM

I would ask the son and girlfriend first what they would like the baby to call you, or maybe wait until the baby is born to ask, then sign the quilt. These things can get pretty sensitive sometimes. You sound like a wonderful potential grandma, so you will probably get to pick the name you want.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:00 AM

If you have any German heritage, you could be called Oma which is German for Grandma. That is what I am called.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:20 AM

What's wrong with being called "grandma?" I wanted to be called that. Didnt' want to be called Mammaw of all things.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:23 AM

Suggest you discuss it with him first and then decide. However, if you're not to be called 'Grandma'do you consider it disrespectful to be called by your name? As long as the child is not disrespectful, I think that is the best solution. All of my friend's children called me by my name because I was the one who felt uncomfortable being called 'Auntie' by those who were not really related to me. It worked and made it easier for them to transition when they became teenagers and adults.
(It's better than the Polish word for Grandma - 'Babcia'= old,old woman/lady...).
Old 04-30-2011, 04:28 AM

Being 1/2 German, I am partial to Oma for Grandma and Opa for Grandpa! Edie
Old 04-30-2011, 05:06 AM

I even have one that calls me sugar. Mostly I am called Nana,but do also answer to Grammy.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:09 AM

My niece when she was little called my mom nayka I am not sure how to spell it, or even where she picked it up from, all the other little ones called Mom grandma. You pronounce it neigh-ka (not kay) Naaa hooked on phonics did not work for me) LOL
Old 04-30-2011, 05:13 AM

My daughter's granddaughter calls her GrandmaDee or GrandmaBear when they are teasing each other. I noticed that your avatar name is "mamagus". How about GrandmaGee. Or as one of our members is called "GeeGee". My great granddaughter calls me Nonnie and she called her other GGmother "GiGi". We loved that. Short for Great Grandma.

I think I voter for GeeGee or GiGi or GG. Love that!

My step grandchildren all call me grandma and their blood grandma is called grandmama. It works for us.

This little tike may find a name for you that no one else has thought of. He/she will have quite a few names to figure out. Make it easy for him/her.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:14 AM

I had the same problem with my DH's sons being the 2nd wife. But when DH's oldest son and DIL were expecting Lucas, I called DS and asked if it would be alright to sign the quilt label as Grandma Kathi. After all, Lucas was going to be born knowing Papaw and I as his grandparents and DS said that would be perfectly fine. I think it helps to ask first makes them feel that you are taking their feelings into consideration and it will certainly let them know that you genuinely will love this new baby and that you care about them, too. If I hadn't asked, I think it could have been a very embarassing moment when they opened Lucas's quilt at the baby shower!!!

Kathi in PA
Old 04-30-2011, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mamagus
My husband's son and his girlfriend are soon going to be parents.
From that first line can you tell I don't really have a role in this? I want to be a grandma to this child and have made the quilt, ordered the crib, bought oodles of clothing for her... They live over halfway accross the country, so I won't get to see her very much.

Matt has already told his dad that his Mom's new husband will NOT be "Poppy-Kevin". So that leaves me wondering if that was a hint... I will not be "Nanny Lori".

My darlings call me "Gama". I love hearing them say it.

Is there another name besides Nan or Grandma that I could sign the quilt with? Something that everyone can live with?

Incidentally I do have a good relationship with Matt. He calls here and we chat for several minutes before he asks for his dad. I figure that's pretty good for someone I first met when he was 18 years old...