Another name for Grandma?

Old 04-29-2011, 08:13 AM

I'd go for Nonni, it would probably be one of the first sounds baby will make! I was always Mamaw until the grands got closer to school age, starting around 3 or 4 I began calling myself Grandma most of the time, and by the time they were in school, that is what they called me. Once in awhile they say Mamaw. My grandma refusd to be called Granny, same for my Mom, and I didnt like it either. My MIL went by MIMI to her daughters kids and grands, but my children called her Grandma Dell. My sister's G-grands called her Grandma-great.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by JulieR
Originally Posted by Mamagus
Matt has already told his dad that his Mom's new husband will NOT be "Poppy-Kevin". So that leaves me wondering if that was a hint... I will not be "Nanny Lori".
Was the comment intended to reassure your DH that HE is the grandparent they wish to honor, not the new guy? Maybe they don't like Kevin, or his mom was snotty about it. Maybe it has nothing to do with you at all.

I say just ask. Acknowledge you aren't the biological grandma but you'd love to have a relationship with their child, and what would they like you to go by? You aren't being pushy about it, just giving them the opportunity to make the decision themselves.

Whatever they decide, as others have said it isn't really important in the long run. What is important is having a good relationship with all of them.
I agree with this. And who knows, Matt may very well welcome & appreciate you asking him. I know this is what I will do when/if my 2 stepkids have children. I can think of a dozen different things I could be called, but in the end it is what the kids want that I will want.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:31 AM

My mother goes by many names from her grandchildren. Each family calls her something else. "Grammie, Grandma, G-G, Big Mama and Nana"
Old 04-29-2011, 08:32 AM

MIMI is my 'name' and spoiling is my game!!! lol
Old 04-29-2011, 08:36 AM

Since you and your stepson seem to have a good relationship. I would talk to him and tell him how excited I for them and while I would never want to take away from his mother's relationship with the child I would also like to have one (after all a child can never have enough people to love it and I would remind him of that). Then I would ask him if he's thought of what they will call me when speaking to the child since you would like to have a special name. I'm Nana to all my grandchildren...step or birth. My name is Dianna so one of the steps calls me Nana Fadana since she has trouble with putting Nana and Dianna together. makes me smile every time I think of it! Anyway, be open and honest with him about your feelings and it'll all work out.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:39 AM

When my stepdaughter was PG I had a talk w/her. I told her that I was going by Nana w/my son's DD and would also like it if her's called me that too IF her DM wasn't going to use it. She said Nana was fine w/her. We have a very good relationship.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:30 AM

We raised our two grnadkids and they called and still do call me HUNEY because that is what my DH calls me...They are in their 20's and still call me that, so do 2 others that grew up near us at the same time...
Old 04-29-2011, 10:10 AM

GRANDMOM for me. I only have 1 grandchild and my son was trying to teach her to say grandmother and she kept coming up with grandmom and it stuck. She's going to make me great grandmom in Aug. with a little boy. I think he will call me the same.

sassy granny
Old 04-29-2011, 10:36 AM

Maybe he doesn't like his mom's new b/f. Ask him what he wants the baby to call you.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:50 AM

My son married a girl with two 4 year old twins. They call me by my first name. My grandson calls me grandma. I would suggest you ask your step son or his wife how they would like the quilt to be signed.