Another name for Grandma?

Old 04-30-2011, 01:40 PM

I have asked my step children (all adults) to call me Laura. When my husbands grandchildren started coming I remained Laura. So I signed all quilts from Grampa and Laura. Works good for us :-D
Old 04-30-2011, 02:05 PM

we have a friend (whose parents have little to do with the grandkids)--and because hubby is a big part of their lives, the call him "g-pa", and refer to me as "g-ma". it gives them the family feel they need without really treading on anybody's toes.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by dd
When my grandson was born we had a terrible time trying to decide what we would be called. My husband was easy everyone started calling him pappy. Everything I wanted to be called and had thought about for years my SIL's family had taken, both Granny and Mom-mom. So I went with Grandmom after my grandmother. Then my grown son started calling me Gam-Gam. OK, whatever. Then it was changed to Gammy. Like jbud2 said, "As long as she says 'I love you' - I don't care what she calls me!!" Now that he is actually talking he just started calling me dd and it stuck ~ hence the screen name.

More like story. I can't remember what the kids called me at first. Whatever, it became MiMaw with the 3rd one and morphed into OhMa with the great grand children. I never had any control over what they wanted to call me.
froggyintexas

My friend at work goes by G-ma or just G. I liked that too. For some reason her g-daughter also calls her monkey.lol We haven't figured that one out yet.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:16 PM
Power Poster

Maybe ask Matt and also let him know that you would not mind being called grandma. It sounds like you have a good relationship. I have one living grand child, Juliet, and I am her bubu, grandma in her biological mother's language. She is not biologically related to me or DH. My adoptive son fathered her and that was the extend of the relationship. She lives far away but I see her occasionally on skype and sent her things. I am very greatful that her bio mother is receptive to us. I hope your story has a good ending. My mother was oma and I intend to take that name for some of my other grand children or grandma. What ever the kids or grand kids decide. The relationship is more important to me then the title.

Here is my precious grand baby girl, Juliet.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]191203[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-191197.jpe  
Old 04-30-2011, 02:48 PM

If you are on good terms with your step son ask him what they would like you to be called. Tell them that you want to be a Grandma. Let them help you decide. This could open up a new avenue for you with your step son and DIL.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:53 PM

Gran or Granny, maybe would be nice
Old 04-30-2011, 02:57 PM

In my family, grandparents were: Bestefar and Bestemar. These are Danish for grandfather and grandmother. We also had Nanny, Pappy, Grammy, and Granddad.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:02 PM

[quote=Kathi in PA]I had the same problem with my DH's sons being the 2nd wife. But when DH's oldest son and DIL were expecting Lucas, I called DS and asked if it would be alright to sign the quilt label as Grandma Kathi. After all, Lucas was going to be born knowing Papaw and I as his grandparents and DS said that would be perfectly fine. I think it helps to ask first makes them feel that you are taking their feelings into consideration and it will certainly let them know that you genuinely will love this new baby and that you care about them, too. If I hadn't asked, I think it could have been a very embarassing moment when they opened Lucas's quilt at the baby shower!!!

I would go with this advice. Ask them. For now I think you are wondering how to sign the quilt (and good for you for making a label.) In the end, it seems the grandkids call us what they like. My 4 year old DGD now differentiates between her two sets of grandparents by saying grandma Joey or grandma Lucy which are our dogs names!
It is so much fun seeing what they come up with.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:04 PM

We called our grandparents nanny and popsey, and now my kids call my mom mom-mom
Old 04-30-2011, 03:09 PM

Call your husband's son and discuss this very topic with him before you sign the quilt. Give him some suggestions of how you would like to be called, "Nonni", "Grammie" ... whatever. Also, remember that however names are told to a child, sometimes they come up with their own creative interpretations of who you, and also the mother and father should be addressed. My sister's only child (son) called her "Mee Maw" (rhymes with law). He called himself "Me Me". And his father became "Papi."