Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
February 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! >

February 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

February 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

Old 02-07-2012, 08:39 AM

The way I like eggplant the best Irishrose, is in parmesean! Instead of frying, bread it then spray it with a little cooking spray & bake until done then layer with sauce & cheese & bake- yum! I may have to do that myself! I have to go to the grocery store today so I'll look for something I've never tried. I'm a pretty good veggie eater so I have tried a lot.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem View Post
It's probably water weight. Maybe a bit of what you lost and what you are gaining back. Are you watching your salt intake? I consume way too much salt myself. Drink lots of water!
Gayle, I hope that's it! (: This morning that pound was gone and I hope it stays away! I have been too lean on water the past couple days, I'll be better today.

irishrose, I haven’t been using WW, but I do weigh, measure and track everything I eat -- the best use of the iPad yet! I use FitDay. I think my diet is good. I do not eat fast food and rarely eat processed foods anymore. I average around 1500 calories.

I don’t eat as many carbs, my average over the past six weeks is carbs at 27%. My fats are from mostly good sources: almonds and olive oil with occasional peanut butter or cheese although I eat dairy very sparingly. Over the past 40 days, my calories went over the 1500 range just once. I ate 1918 calories, including one glass of red wine. I didn’t eat junky food, I just ate more food. Maybe I need to cycle my calories a little bit to keep my metabolism guessing?

I honestly believe that the best thing I did was to quit drinking Diet Coke early in January. I didn’t anticipate it, but since then I’ve had no food cravings at all and a greatly diminished appetite.

Thanks for being there!

Last edited by AtHomeSewing; 02-07-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:55 AM

AtHomeSewing, you are definitely on the right track. Your food plan sounds perfect though I do think cycling would help if you reach a plateau. Congrats on giving up the Coke. I love the regular stuff and still want one occasionally, but with osteoporsis, it's not going to happen. Diet is worse than regular because artificial sugar makes your brain crave more sugar so it makes sense cutting it out reduced your cravings for other things.

Maggiemay, tonight I go out with my oldest daughter but eggplant will be on the menu tomorrow for sure. Then I'll check out the grocery for some other things I don't eat. I can try Brussel sprouts again. Pomegranate? Ugli fruit? I'm sure there are others.

I am losing weight and becoming healthier.
Judy
Old 02-07-2012, 10:20 AM

When I was at therapy yesterday, got on the scale and lost another pound. Since September I have lost a total of 42 lbs. I am excited that something finally kick started my weight lose even if it was cancer and losing a lung. LOL Since that happened I haven't had the appetite I did before. Some say it is because of the general anstheia (sp?) happening 3 times in 2 weeks, twice only 3 days apart. I will continue to my goal of 150, only 38 lbs to go. YEAH!!!!!

Keep up the good work ladies.

remember to drink your water, eat your protein and fruits and veggies. Try to eat within 1 hour of waking to kick start your metabolism
Old 02-07-2012, 10:27 AM

Greetings to everyone

I like the support and talk that goes around. We all need help in some way. I just got the results from the doctor and my cholestrol is high, blood pressure is high and the kidneys are looking worse. So I have to stop all anti-inflammatories, I don't know how I am going to handle that - I have arthritis in several joints. It hurts to walk all the time, but without the pills, I'm not sure what will happen. I need to exercise and lose weight (isn't that the answer to most things?). Since it hurts to walk and stand, exercising is difficult (I find it easy to make an excuse, but I know I can do some thing).

I know it is good to drink water, does anyone know how much it should be? I have problems with my eyes, so using the computer and sewing (the two things I love to do) are difficult, forgive me if I miss something and ask a question again or things like that.

Once again, thanks for the encouragement.

Chill
Old 02-07-2012, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
...then have a feast day periodically. Every five days seems to be about right for me. I'm betting that's why WW has adopted the extra points to be used once a week. ...
Can you tell me about how many additional calories the "feast"day" has been? If I start cycling, or adding in some days with more I need an idea about how many more calories I should plan to add in. Thanks for any info!
Old 02-07-2012, 11:09 AM

I have no clue how many calories I am consuming. The nutritionist did not have us try to count calories or carbohydrates. I really need to get a scale and see how I am doing. I need to lose about 100 lbs total. I am looking forward to being able to exercise again!!!
I have never tried canned black eyed Peas Jeanne. I think I have had them from Trader Joes in a refrigerated pack. I always just cook up my own. This way it is cheaper and I know what is in them. I buy a 1lb package of dried beans and soak them overnight. Then I cook them up with a smoked ham hock, a whole bulb of garlic, minced and a whole onion, minced. I do add salt to taste after they are almost all the way cooked. (almost 2-3 tsp) I like to eat them just as they are with a little bit of the cooking water in them.
I have not been good at drinking my water lately. I need to work on that one.
A different fruit or veggie, hmmmmmm don't know what I will try. I did recently discover Leeks and love them sliced up in my soups and such. Not a fan of eggplant. Hated Brussel Sprouts as a kid. Maybe if I get out to Trader Joes today (after babysitting my little grandbaby) I will see what I can try. I have really enjoyed cooking up Red, Yellow, and/or Orange Bell peppers with onion and garlic and whatever else. (not a fan of green) Most days I add Belll pepper, onions, broccoli and spinach to my eggs and then throw some fresh salsa on top. So Good!!!! And I get in over a cup of cooked veggies.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 02-07-2012, 03:29 PM

Hello Chill,

Eating whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables (especially the less starchy types), and lean meats can help eliminate inflammation. When inflammation goes down that makes everything feel better, it sure did for me! What’s amazing is that feeling a LOT better came after only FIVE days of eating healthy! And, I’m feeling even better every day. Get that processed stuff and highly refined carbs out of your diet and I’m sure that you’ll be healthier and feel so much better very soon.

It’s a lot easier if you have good things to eat on hand and ready to go. If you need ideas, I’d be happy to suggest lots of easy, quick to make good stuff, and I’m sure many others here have lots of good ideas.

This is completely do-able! (:

CINDY!!! Wow, 42 pounds! You go girl -- you are DOING it!~

I'm kind of stuck on the new fruit or veggie. I'm so not a big fan of veggies. I like certain ones, mostly not cooked. I'll think about this...
Old 02-07-2012, 04:43 PM

Greetings! New fruit or veg - hard one as I eat most everything. Maybe I will try one that I haven't had in a long time. Get to go out tomorrow night - friend will come sit with Mom for a couple hours. Plan to send the FQ to you Cindy and about 4 other packages that need to get out. Mom was up 5 times during the night, and I promised myself that for every time she is up I would drink a glass of water. By this morning I felt water logged. But got on the scale and stayed the same. Almost half way to my month goal, but it seems that I am slowing down now and it is frustrating after giving up the diet pops, sugars and junk. Oh well, my day will come.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by createfourpaws View Post
So far I have received 5 FQ's, from Maggiemay, meanmom, jholm, and PamH. the 5th is mine. Keep them coming. If you are going to be a little late getting it in the mail, just let me know.

I am loving the one coming in. A few I don't want to go anywhere. LOL Don't worry ladies I will send them on to the winner.

Have an awesome day. I am off to work today.
Sent mine out today.... PamS