Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
February 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! >

February 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

February 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

Old 02-08-2012, 02:37 PM

Ideas about meals & snacks...the best thing I do for myself is to be prepared- make sure you have low cal/point things to eat so you don't grab just anything when you get hungry. I like to have pre cut veggies & lettuce on hand, hard boiled eggs to snack on & for added protein. I make a low cal veggie soup by sauteing lots of my favorite veggies & simmering them in some tomatoes (I like RoTel best) & chicken broth. One of my favorite low cal meals is stir fry over brown rice. I fry up a bunch of veggies (carrots, broccoli, snow peas, zucchini), add some chicken & sauce of some kind.

I love the Emeralds 100 calorie almond packs. I usually don't go for the 100 cal packs, but I love these for a quick snack that has some protein & fiber. They fit nice in my purse too! WW frozen Chocolate Raspberry ice cream bars for 80 cal-YUM!! I also like Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches for 140 cals. It's nice to have something that tastes so good for not too high of calories.

There are so many good sources of recipes on the internet- you won't have any trouble finding some! Here is one I use

http://www.skinnytaste.com/

I didn't find any new fun procuce to try at the grocery store yesterday, but I was at Super Walmart & didn't really expect to find anything too unusual there! I'll try to hit Trader Joes & see it they have anything new that's worth trying.

I have walked 7 miles so far this month!
Old 02-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Maggiemay View Post
The way I like eggplant the best Irishrose, is in parmesean! Instead of frying, bread it then spray it with a little cooking spray & bake until done then layer with sauce & cheese & bake- yum! I may have to do that myself! I have to go to the grocery store today so I'll look for something I've never tried. I'm a pretty good veggie eater so I have tried a lot.
My mama used to make eggplant parmasiana,I didn't like it then. I eat alot of foods now that I didn't like as a kid. I would like to try it again. Can you all tell me how to pick out a ripe eggplant. Is it by color,firmness,stem dryness or color??? Thanks for any help on this,Mary
Old 02-08-2012, 03:40 PM

HMMMMMMM! Try a new vegetable? We tried colhrabi ( don't know how to spell it) a couple of days ago. It was edible but I don't think I would make it again. I never used to eat cooked spinach or brussel sprouts. But find I like them now. We have a store here called Jungle Jims that has pretty much any exotic ingredient you would like. Some days I could swear I am the only english speaking person in the store. It is huge and totally unique. They have an aisle for each country. We have tried all kinds of weird things from there. My Japanese DIL was thrilled that she could find everything she needed there to make some Japanese dishes for us.
Irishrose you said you love fires but hate to make them. My sister just converted her wood fireplace to gas, they love it. Cindy great loss. WOW. My weight seems to be stuck. I have upped my exercise and have been weighing and measuring everything to check my portion size. Hopefully I will be down on Saturday.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:50 PM

I went out and bought a scale today. It is showing a possible 3.5 lb loss since the first of the month. We will really see how I am doing when I go to my Dr next Thursday.

It's not quite new, but I bought some Sugar Snap Peas yesterday and so tonight I think I will do a stir-fry with the peas, carrots, onions, broccoli, some asparagus, green onions and then toss in some stir-fried chicken and serve on top of some whole wheat spaghetti noodles. I will probably toss in some kind of bean so I can get my "beans" in for the day. I have some Pinto, kidney, garbanzo and Anasazi beans all cooked up in the fridge right now.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 02-08-2012, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
HMMMMMMM! Try a new vegetable? We tried colhrabi ( don't know how to spell it) a couple of days ago. It was edible but I don't think I would make it again. I never used to eat cooked spinach or brussel sprouts. But find I like them now. We have a store here called Jungle Jims that has pretty much any exotic ingredient you would like. Some days I could swear I am the only english speaking person in the store. It is huge and totally unique. They have an aisle for each country. We have tried all kinds of weird things from there. My Japanese DIL was thrilled that she could find everything she needed there to make some Japanese dishes for us.
Irishrose you said you love fires but hate to make them. My sister just converted her wood fireplace to gas, they love it. Cindy great loss. WOW. My weight seems to be stuck. I have upped my exercise and have been weighing and measuring everything to check my portion size. Hopefully I will be down on Saturday.
I love Kolrabi I eat it raw. don't care for it cooked. Have you tried bok choy? It grows on a stalk like celery but is more of a spinach taste. It is used in oriental cooking.It's very good in stir fry.I just had a artichoke. I love them. Well everyone have a good day.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:53 PM

I should have picked up some Bok Choy yesterday, that would have been good in my stir fry. I just got done cutting up all my veggies, grated some fresh ginger and minced some fresh garlic. I cut up the chicken thighs and have them "marinating" in a little olive oil and some of the garlic and ginger. Just waiting for the right time to start cooking. The Bok Choy would have fit in perfectly!!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 02-08-2012, 04:54 PM

I should have picked up some Bok Choy yesterday, that would have been good in my stir fry. I just got done cutting up all my veggies, grated some fresh ginger and minced some fresh garlic. I cut up the chicken thighs and have them "marinating" in a little olive oil and some of the garlic and ginger. Just waiting for the right time to start cooking. The Bok Choy would have fit in perfectly!!

Actually it was snow peas that I bought and not the Sugar Snap.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:45 PM

My new veggie choice for this week is kale. I picked up some today and checker looked at it and asked me what it was. I'm planning on making a kale soup tomorrow. I've got a baby blanket to embroider too so it's going to be a full day. I take a water bottle with me that's got a slice of lemon in it and lots of ice. I really like cold water so that helps lots. My herb tea is usually iced too. Having soups that I can fix quickly help make my meals more manageable and keeps me from straying from my program. I posted my FQ today.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:21 PM

Well,hello girls.I haven't been on in a while,as my hubby and I were in the hospital,but not at the same time.Just about tho.His was heart failure and 9 pounds of water they drained off,and mine was a huge bout of heaving for 2 days straight,and finely went to the ER,and they kept me for 3 days.They wanted to keep me longer,but I had to get home to take care of my hubby who is 85 and almost blind and was running out of the meds I had done up.I found out I have a GIANT ulcer and a thick stomach lining. due to the diclofenic and meloxicam I took for my antiflamitory.So am on ulcer meds and also found out I have kidney stones,thus that's why my back hurts like crap.So,other than falling apart,I'm still at 175 pounds.Gained 15 over christmas with all the nice neighbors we have.And I feel bloated.YUK!But we're on the mend.We just don't have time to get down,but I guess it's our way of catching up on much needed rest.But that hospital was like a jail.I hated it.Plus they starved me for 5 days they only gave me liquids.I thought I was going to die from starvation.Plus the IV port is killing me where they had the IV.It's still sore and has a hard lump where the vein is.They did have to change it one night really fast,so don't know what happened.So,that's what I been doing.Just haven't felt good in a long time.I see you gals are doing good tho.In fact your all doing great.That's good.I hope to get my 15 pounds back off,and get back down to my 160 where I been all spring and summer and fall.I know I can do it,cause I done it before.I lost 95 pounds,so know how,just got to get back on track and off the cakes and sweets.(my fault,I knew better)Anyway,congrats on all your weight loss.Your all doing great.Keep it up.It does pay off,I'm proof.Went from 250 down to 160.Now up 15 pounds,but that's ok.I'll get er off and keep going this time.So,lets get er done gals.It's time to wave good by (as nancia says) to those extra pounds we been packin around!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-09-2012, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by meanmom View Post

My gosh it's a small world. When you said JJs I knew you had to live somewhere around Fairfield Ohio. That's where my parents live. I haven't been back in years but have been to JJs many times. My dad told me they had kept expanding.