Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How Did You Meet Your Spouse >

How Did You Meet Your Spouse

How Did You Meet Your Spouse

Old 04-16-2010, 04:30 AM

I met my hubby by inviting him to a party at my home...he was a friend of the fellow that I really wanted to be sure to have attend, so thinking if I invited boy #2, boy #1 would surely come along.

Three years later, that (important) boy #1 was an usher in Boy #2 and my wedding and that was 53 years ago this month.......

Who woulda' thought !!!!!!!!

maryjane
Old 04-16-2010, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

I met mine when he became my son's Big Brother (of Big Brothers and Sisters of Houston). after a year, we started "dating" at the request of my son. baseball games, bowling, etc. He's 20 yrs older than I am but we've been married almost 30 yrs now. grouchy old man!! he, he.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:29 AM

My co-worker set me up with his next-door-neighbor. 1st date went okay, however it took me a few days to return his call for a 2nd date (cold feet). When I finally did call him back he had to dig through the garbage for my phone number - he had written me off. We've been married 11 years now. It's been good, bad & ugly but we are still together.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:44 AM

I had just bought my first computer and didn't have a clue on how to use it beyond turning it on. My niece invited me to her chat channel on mIRC where I met lots of smart, strange, weird and funny people. One in particular really got my attention. Our personalities clicked as soon as we met. I was just coming out of a long marriage that had taken a very bad turn and was not remotely interested in any new romantic relationships but was very happy to make new friends. Stephen was in Georgia and I was in New York. He was 14 years younger than me. Nevertheless, we got along great and after many months of chatting online we finally decided to meet in person. We spent the next couple of years visiting each other every few months and then mutually decided that it would be way better if we didn't have 900 miles between us. My two grown children (Tim was 18 and Hilary was 21) decided to make the move with me. We had a wonderful southern wedding hosted by his Mom and Dad and have been happily married for almost eight years now!

JoAnn & Stephen, West Point, NY
[ATTACH=CONFIG]62587[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-62582.jpe  
Old 04-16-2010, 11:05 AM

I took the job my husband left when he enlisted in the army during WWII. He had worked in the payroll department and since I just graduated high school, needed a job and was able to get that one. Many of the people there suggested that I write to him but thinking I was a 'hotshot' said "no"
that he can write to me first, but that never happened. After a few years, he came home and came to visit his old friends and that's when I met him It was at their annual Christmas party at a big restaurant, and not having a car, he offered to take me home. That's where it started and still lucky for me still continues. We went out together for four years as he went on to college and then got married. It's been 60 years for us...he's still my rock, love of my life, my everything. God has been so good to us.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:36 AM

Okay, I love my story, so I am going to tell! :-D

I was an oiler on the Washington State Ferries in 1981 during a labor dispute and shutdown. My watch partners and I got in trouble being over zealous with, shall we say…certain aspects of the vessel shutdown. Actually we were in a LOT of trouble.

The chief engineer, my boss, was married with two kids and a wife, the assistant engineer, the same. The other oiler had just closed on his first real estate deal. I was in my mid 20s, single with only a car payment. None could afford to lose a job, except...me. I hatched a plan to see if I could take the focus off the others on our watch.

First I tried my own union, but was pretty much just shut out…that’s when I began to realize just how much trouble we were in. Someone there told me that several law enforcement agencies were trying to locate all of us. The shutdown was media frenzy since it involved public transportation. Next I went to the engineer’s union, walked up to the counter and asked to meet with one of the union's officials. I expected some crotchety old guy to come out and lecture me because he was so busy, and because we had been so stupid, and OMG just because I was a girl! :shock: As luck would have it the “old guys” were out of the office. Instead here comes a young, good looking guy in a suit. Great, just great…I had been working all night during the shutdown, dirty from the engine room, grease under my nails and diesel still in my hair. Totally and completely embarrassing. :oops:

It was crazy busy in there yet he listened intently to my story, and of my concern for the engineers. During our conversation the secretary raced up practically gasping, “The Governor’s on the phone”. His eyes didn’t leave mine as he continued our conversation. The secretary, who had spent a long career in the office tapped her pencil urgently on the counter at him, “Tom! Governor Spellman is on the phone. Not staff, THE Governor!” Seemingly without a concern, still holding my gaze he said, “Alice, I’m talking to the lady, the Governor can hold.” And he did.

Five months later we were married.

Years later, DH left the union and actually works on the ferries now. He tells me that he still hears about our story passing through the engine rooms around the fleet, some 29 years later.

So, if you’ve stayed with me this long, you may be wondering besides getting the guy, how did all of our jobs fare. Well, we all got to keep our jobs, it wasn’t exactly an easy process, but it was another adventure.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:56 AM

well he was supposed to be a one night stand :twisted: I guess 14 years later that night still isn't over :oops:
Old 04-16-2010, 08:04 PM
Banned

I was buying land that I was going to build a home on eventually and the attorney I used his Paralegal always answered the phone and helped me when I had a question. After going into the office and seeing her I was very enamored to say the least. She was a hot older redhead and I told her that we needed to get to know each other better and asked her for a phone number. She blew me off (or so I thought) and when the papers were all signed and everything was cleared I had a sticky note with her number on it.

I was 19 and she was 32, but she has always look 10 years younger than she is. We were married not long after wards and well the rest is history. We built our first home together on my land and it was paid for the day we moved into it.

26 years we have been married and its been the best years of her life!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Funny thing was when she hit her mid forties you could then tell there was an age difference between us and you should have seen some of the looks we would get at the country club from the newer members that didn't know us well yet. The women her age were looking at her like I was her boy toy and they used to try and hit on me or ask if I had friends that were available. :lol: :lol: :lol: When they found out we had been married for as long as we were they were all jealous of her.

Dont think she didn't play that to her favor.......

Billy
Old 04-16-2010, 11:13 PM

My family had just moved to NJ from MI. It was my first trip to the shore. A new friend suggested getting a group to go. As it turned out no one went except me and this guy. When it was time to go, he forgot to bring his tennis shoes to wear. Off we go back to his house to get his shoes. He roomed with three other guys at the time. As we got out of the car, one of his roomies came to the door and held it open for me. While Chuck went to get his shoes, I started talking to him. It was instant attraction.

I didn't see John again for a few months, altho' we talked on the phone several times. Our "official" first date was July 3, 1983. I was barely 19, he was 26. We were married Nov. 30th, 1984, parents in May '86, May '87 and July '88. It's been quite a ride and three kids, one SIL , and, well, the mirror is playing some *tricks* on us now, I can't imagine being with anyone but John.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:58 PM

I was a divorced Mom in 76 and met the asst mgr of a lg grocery store. Didn't like him right off the bat. Kept running into him and got to know him well & decided he was really a nice guy. He had never been married before. We married in 78, he adopted my children and we had 1 son together. Have just had our 32nd anniversary & I think I will keep him. He totally supports my quilting & fabric collecting. He loves going to Quilt Shows and probably buys more than I do & he is my LA'er.