Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How Did You Meet Your Spouse >

How Did You Meet Your Spouse

How Did You Meet Your Spouse

Old 04-15-2010, 11:46 AM

In 1988 I was happily separated from my abusive husband raising 3 young children and working for an answering service. My job for one of the companies that we answered for was to wake up the guys for very early jobs. One of the guys asked if I would go have coffee with him the next time it rained him out and I said I would knowing full well that I really would not be interested in doing anything of the kind. A few days later I woke him up but his job was rained out and he called me back to see if we could go have coffee and of course I told him I couldn't do it. This went on for 2 weeks and everytime I would say no. Finally he said if I didn't meet him he was never going to get to work and so I did. I found out that we had alot in common - both separated and each had 3 children. Now after 22 years we have 7 children together and 13 grandchildren and intend to keep living happily ever after.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:55 AM
Power Poster

We met Memorial Day 1961 on the S.S. Admiral cruising on the Mississippi River in front of St. Louis. Were married 12-30-61, 48 years last Dec. I was 16, him 20. Who would have thought being so young it would last so long? 3 Grown kids, 6 Grandkids and 1 Great Granddaughter, another Great Grand expected in Oct. The secret is to make a commitment one another and stayed commited, will include everything else.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:55 AM
Power Poster

We met Memorial Day 1961 on the S.S. Admiral cruising on the Mississippi River in front of St. Louis. Were married 12-30-61, 48 years last Dec. I was 16, him 20. Who would have thought being so young it would last so long? 3 Grown kids, 6 Grandkids and 1 Great Granddaughter, another Great Grand expected in Oct. The secret is to make a commitment one another and stayed commited, will include everything else.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:57 AM

We also met at church; I had just turned 40, divorced, exploring the fact that I had realized newfound feelings. She was 37, single for a while after a bad breakup. We introduced ourselves and she tells everbody I wouldn't let go of her hand (she didn't pull away!!!). We had a Holy Union the following December, 1986; Florida still doesn't recognize same-sex marriage but nonetheless, we are more married than others married legally. We have had lots of fun, lots of chaos, 2 kids, one grand, 3 greats, and we still are in love after all this time. There, I said it again....
Old 04-15-2010, 11:59 AM
Banned

At the back fence.

O.k. let me explain.

We were each married and moved in next to each other the same month. We all introduced ourselves, from the start his wife and I didn't become friends, even with our kids being about the same age!

Some years later my marriage failed (spousal abuse) and I moved out on my own to a neighboring town, went back to college and got a better job.

Then I saw him - again-. 4 years after I had moved away. He told me he and his wife were getting a divorce. I nearly fell on the ground. I never thought they'd be in that boat.

Anyway, I told him if he wanted to talk or aa home cooked meal to give me a call.

About a year later we were together, but not married. 7 years later we married. 6 years later we divorced.(He will be the first to tell anyone that he was 'stupid' and left). He moved to another state, I moved to another town. 5 years after that we reconnected. and then remarried a year later.

We are about to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary, or is it our 11th? Or do we celebrate from when we first got together - 24 years ago? (We originally met 32 years ago!)

True love will find you - no matter what you are doing, going through, waiting for, and usually hit you when you are not looking.

Congrats to all those who have found their mate, and to those who have not..... God has a plan.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:12 PM

We met in high school, but didn't date until after high school. We've known one another 40 years.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:58 PM

I met my hubby through my EX best friend!
She really wanted him back but kept putting me in the middle of them. Which meant we talked more then they talked!!! oopps!
But it was my first week at college and the Friday was my 19th birthday so he asked me if he could buy me my first 'legal' drink. I said sure! Needless to say she and I don't talk anymore but to be honest I think I got the better of the two anyway!! We met in 1992, married in 1997 and are going strong! Two beautiful girls that I would not trade for anything!
Old 04-15-2010, 02:35 PM

I was my honey's apartment manager.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:39 PM

I was introduced to Rich by the man I was engaged to at the time. Rich was his best friend. After our engagement ended....Rich and I became friends and the rest is history. We will be married 36 years in June.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:36 PM

I love reading all the stories.