Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
July 2011 Weight Loss Winner is Quiltin Chris! >

July 2011 Weight Loss Winner is Quiltin Chris!

July 2011 Weight Loss Winner is Quiltin Chris!

Old 07-17-2011, 08:13 AM

Purplemem, you surely know a few of my friends. My classmate Ida lives in Soldier and used to be the mayor there. Also Martha Federick who lives in Effingham with her husband, Roger, who is a minister. I think he is pastoring the church in Whiting now. I worked at the Horton Hospital until I retired last year. My how small the world is now because of the internet
I live on a farm between Everest and Effingham.
Hope we get a weather break soon. Yesterday was miserable. Hope you live somewhere a little cooler and less humid. Have a good week and God bless you for keeping this thread going.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:42 AM

I finally found time to read the last 6 pages of this thread. So many of you are dealing with much bigger problems than me. And so many of us are concerned about each one of you. Prayers are going out to all of you.
I know when I get stressed and overly tired my food intake goes haywire. It certainly has since July 1st. Well today starts a new week and I'm going back to writing down everything I eat and drinking water like crazy again. I usually weigh in on Tuesdays so maybe I can wash away a pound or two. Hubby is doing better and is getting more stuborn so we'll see how the week goes. :)
Old 07-17-2011, 09:55 AM

Thank you Xylie
Old 07-17-2011, 12:15 PM

boy, why is it this month is kicking us all to pretoria and back? just craziness! i'm not going to quit, and i am not going to give in. i AM losing weight. I AM in control. i AM continuing. it may just be the hardest month to run twice as fast to stay in the same place. frustrating and discouraging, but i believe i have made my position clear. one way or another--I AM LOSING WEIGHT> I AM IN CONTROL!
Old 07-17-2011, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by nancia
boy, why is it this month is kicking us all to pretoria and back?
Maybe it's the weather or the time of the year? Summer, vacations, heat waves, ....

I know I"m not doing very good this month. If I am good at recording my foods and keeping my calories around 1400-1500 a day, get 10,000 steps in and do other types of exercise 30 minutes 3-4 x a week I can lose weight.

But honestly it's too much to deal with. Always focusing on the food and activities and I get so tired....well, anyway that's my excuse.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by nancia
i went thru that whole feminism movement in the 60's and 70's, and i was bound and determined i would be able to do anything that didn't use a penis as a tool. so i fixed electric, plumbing. checkbook, plants, construction and later learned welding. but i also retained the power of a smile. i figured being liberated didn't mean i 'had' to do everything myself, it just meant i 'could' do it all. one of my guy friends told me i was the most conveniently liberated woman he knew. i could/ would do anything i chose to do and smiled at others and asked them to do the things i didn't want to do. well, what's the liberation in being locked into doing more things? there is a big difference in being able to do something and choosing not to, and being told you can't do it because you lack anatomy. never saw a guy pull out his whatsis to fix a car, have you?
xylie, you do these things because you know how and you need to. want to doesn't come into it, i bet. too bad those young guys aren't interested in learning survival skills. the power goes out, you have to rely on yourself, not your smart phone! so many skills are being taught to fewer and fewer people. they won't be totally lost because every generation has a group like us that take pride in being able to create, and be self-reliant. i feel bad for those who only feel the need to recharge their phones. it feels satisfying to say ' i did that'. and when we lose all of our extra weight we will be able to look back in pride and say 'i did that!' a few indiscretions may slow us but they can't stop us! i am losing. i am in control. i CAN do this! because i choose to!
Your right,I don't want to do these things.But am glad I can,cause it has saved us a ton of $$.You sound a lot like me.We need to be independent as we can.Well,back to losing weight.I got on the scales this morning and I'm back down to 164,so must of been water weight.So am happy about that.I kinda thought it was,but don't want to blame every little gain on the water,but most of the time it really is water retention.I am losing weight,I am losing weight,I am losing weight....Yes!!!!!!
Old 07-17-2011, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
At this point, I think I'd just pray in private and send a card after she passes. If your parting wasn't amicable, he could respond rudely and you don't need that. A card is harder to respond to - he would have to make an effort. Emails are easy - just hit reply.
I agree.They may or may not recipicate.A card or email is just letting them know your 'thinking' about them.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Fabricnut
Purplemem, you surely know a few of my friends. My classmate Ida lives in Soldier and used to be the mayor there. Also Martha Federick who lives in Effingham with her husband, Roger, who is a minister. I think he is pastoring the church in Whiting now. I worked at the Horton Hospital until I retired last year. My how small the world is now because of the internet
I live on a farm between Everest and Effingham.
Hope we get a weather break soon. Yesterday was miserable. Hope you live somewhere a little cooler and less humid. Have a good week and God bless you for keeping this thread going.
Ida knows me as Mary Jane Shewmake, my exhusband was her pastor and he was de-frocked for having an affair in the parsonage. Hopefully, she doesn't judge me on his actions.

I don't know Roger but I haven't lived in Kansas now for 10 years. David Allen at the bank is a close personal friend.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:23 PM

I just got around to looking at the only magazine I read anymore. My First magazine has a weight loss article about the Dukan Diet. It sounds a lot like Leann's diet that has been so successful. It honestly is more restrictive than the Atkins, but for shorter periods of time. I took the quiz online and it didn't like my goal weight. To further complicate things, it gave me my answer in stones, not pounds. One stone is 14 pounds. I'm sure it would jumpstart my weight loss if I could stick with it, but mostly meat for a prescribed length of time????? Four phrases - Attack, Cruise, Consolidation and Stabilization. Lots of meat and walk, walk, walk. H-m-m-m.

The dogs and I will be walking after dusk again today. Over 90 degrees with high humidity keeps me inside except for going to church and watering flowers. Red headed and fair skinned means the sun is not my friend. I have a red Oriental lily to plant, but it can wait a day or so.

I am losing weight and getting healthier!
Old 07-17-2011, 01:32 PM

MJ and crew, You women are amazing with what you've survived and kept your heads up. I had 40 years of almost perfect marriage to a very loving husband and five children with no major problems. Then 2 difficult years when the gambling became totally out of control, which led to lying, stealing, etc. I watched my father abuse my mother and knew I wasn't going to put up with any more malarky. I did a legal separation to keep my ex on my insurance, but he insisted on a divorce. Not a fun time, but so minor compared with some of you. I've been alone for 11 years, but not exactly alone as I have my wonderful family.

As I tell my 13 year old GD, put your shoulders back, your butt under you and smile. Good advice for all of us.