Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1st Longarm Experience - GRRRRRRRR >

1st Longarm Experience - GRRRRRRRR

1st Longarm Experience - GRRRRRRRR

Old 12-03-2010, 07:00 AM

I made a large laptop quilt for my bestfriend. Was xtra carefully that everything lined up, seams completely flat. Ironed everything perfect to send out. My co-worker's wife did longarm quilting and had "years of experience". Fine, only needed a simple meandering all over pattern.
Spoke to her explaining (3 times) that I wanted a medium stipple (not large) also wrote this as instructions when she received the quilt. She finished the quilt and brought it to me at work (where customers were milling around). I nearly flipped, what did she do-LARGE stippling that goes at an angle on the quilt rather than across making the blocks look alittle lumpy. I couldn't really complain and made out that I liked it. Not only that, now that I look at it she has a FOLD OF BATTING SEWN IN THE QUILT so there is a lump that is about 38" . How could that happen if she had loaded it correctly? She even told me how true and flat my quilt was and how "easy it was for her to load". I am so MAD and I paid for this!!!! The good news is my friend is not a quilter and you can't really see the lump. She probably won't notice it's there-BUT I WILL.

Do you think I should tell her this happened so she pays closer attention. Or just chalk it up to a learning experience???? I guess I'm bad, and should have meet with her to explain my thoughts, but I thought with such a simple design it would be OK. Thanks for letting me vent!!! :(
Old 12-03-2010, 07:06 AM

welll when this fold issue has happened on my long-arm.. it was because my fabric for the backing wasn't tight enough. Sorry for your disapointment.. I understand your being mad.. Personally I would apperciate someone telling me they weren't happy so I could improve myself next time... just my thoughts here. Maybe give you discount next time.. we all are learning this craft day by day. Another thing is what is small to one person might not be small to another.. maybe next time be more specific like a meander no larger than 6' or something ... once again just my thoughts.

I am sure she will love the quilt... but I do TOTALLY understand your frustration!
Old 12-03-2010, 07:16 AM

I understand your hesitation to say anything in front of others - but as a paying customer you have every right to honestly express your opinion - I agree that everyones version of sizes vary - I would definitely tell her...this is a great learning experience for both of you ... always see samples of work and she sould have patterns you could look at. Its so frustrating to take so much time and effort into getting the quilt just right only to have it "ruined" in your eyes. You are right though - your friend probably wont even notice unless you point it out to her...dont ruin the special quilt by pointing out what is wrong with it lol It was made especially for your friend from you and she will cherish it for that reason!!!
Old 12-03-2010, 07:16 AM

I agree with you in that I should have explained myself better (this is why I haven't said anything to her). But the lump to me is unacceptable. I know things happen and I'm sure she would correct it. She'd have to remove the stitches in 1/2 of the quilt as it's in the middle (of course). I don't know if I'd have time to do the binding once I got it back in time to ship for Xmas, so she will receive it as is. Thank you for your thoughts. I think I'll write her a note and give it to her hubby when I go to work.

Have a wonderful holiday!! :-D
Old 12-03-2010, 07:23 AM

I would tell her in a nice way that there must have been a miscommunication. I would also tell her that there is a fold. Be nice, but she needs to know. I would be upset too.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:31 AM

So sorry you had a bad experience like this. Since size can be a subjective thing ("Large", "Medium", "Small" ), I have a pic of meandering examples that I show customers with a ruler laid across it for scale so they can see what my interpretation of those sizes means. I think and hope it helps to avoid miscommunication. If I were you, though, I would definitely tell her about the fold since it indicates a lack of attention to the tautness of the backing and/or batting.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:32 AM

Its always good to keep an open communication going, everyone can learn from that. I always try and do my best on any quilt I take in and encourage first timers to come on in! We all talk and I lay their quilt, backing and battings out on my table and discuss the options and even draw pictures or use pattern examples I have, fill out my intake sheet, thread type/color, what areas get what treatment, trimming...etc. Quilts we get in the mail?-- I lay them out and call you to discuss an apple to apple approach while I've got my beady little eyes on it. just insurance that we are all on the same sheet of music. If you've taken the time and obvious love and care to produce the quilt top, I want it right for you!
I would appreciate your comments if I did something wrong as I will try and fix or make you happy any way I can with in reason. Sincerely--Dave B.

Another P.S.-ever think of something after you push post?LOL

I have had batting that has its own lumps, but there again-laying it out you should see those problems--take the time to do it! Can only help and avoid bad situations.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:43 AM

I'm new at Longarming -- so I've learned from the posts. Just want to say that I laid out my last customer's quilt and I ALWAYS run my hand over it before I start sewing. Halfway thru, I felt a large fold -- lump. I loosened the top and ran my hand up to get the fold out. It's not hard....and in my opinion, had your quilter done that she could have fixed the problem!

Another rule I have --- we DISCUSS the end result in private...not in your office. Don't take deliveries to your place of work. Just tell her the boss won't allow it. LOL

I'd be disappointed, too......Obviously, you won't be using her again!
Old 12-03-2010, 07:49 AM

Thank you all for your comments. You are right about checking the batting. I did do that when I cut it to take to her. The lump is only on one side. Something must have happened when she loaded it.

I would have thought she would have seen it (I did right away) as it's 3 thicknesses of batting. OOOOO well - it's done.

On to the next one!!! :thumbup:
Old 12-03-2010, 07:50 AM

Dee, I like your saying! Cool--Dave B.