Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anybody made quilts and nobody wants them? >

Anybody made quilts and nobody wants them?

Anybody made quilts and nobody wants them?

Old 09-26-2011, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

All of my quilts so far have found a home and are well loved - if not always used. When I give a gift, I do not attach expectations to it. Of course I want people to ooooo and aaaaaah, but not all do. Some are more subtle. All I know is at that time: I feel good for having made the quilt and I feel good for having given it. That is generally enough for me.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
You can try and donate to Womens Shelters or homes for unwed mothers or troubled teens.

Plus - I'm sure there are people here that would love some. :) *hint!!* *hint*
yup...I will gladly give you my address. smile
Old 09-26-2011, 09:00 AM

donate to kids hospitals, churches, vets , nursing homes . they will be loved
Old 09-26-2011, 09:05 AM

All my family wants one. Since I have a large extended family I'll be busy for a long time.
One of the ladies in the guild who is a fabulous quilter made a beautiful quilt that no one in her family wanted (it didn't go with their decor). She gave it to a charity.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

After reading several of the responses, I agree there are many, many organizations that would love receive your quilts that were quilted with love. It hurts a little when we put so much time and effort into making a quilt and they don't seem to be appreciated. Don't give up, there will always be someone out there that will be the perfect match for one of your quilts.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:35 AM

You have a lovely reaction to this rejection to something you love to do. Don't let what anyone else says matter, and make quilts because you enjoy the hobby. I do, although my family really likes them and now appreciates the time and work required.

I do the same about writing family stories. I write because I enjoy writing and remembering and also love the friends I have made doing it. My family will like what appears or they won't, it doesn't matter for I like to do them.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:42 AM

I made a huge queen sized ohio stars quilt for my daughter for her birthday a couple of years ago. She comment how much she liked it and used it for about a month. Since then, she hasn't touched it and refuses to use it. She said that she doesn't want to ruin it. After all the work involved and cost of making the quilt, I wanted her to use it. I think it is sad that loved ones do not want homemade items.
Okay, I'll get off my soap box now...
Old 09-26-2011, 10:05 AM

Make as many quilts as your heart desires. Keep the ones you love and donate others to the needy, kids in hospitals, the police department and fire department sometimes like to have them on hand to give to those who have lost a home or a loved one. Your quilts WILL be loved, even if by someone you do not know personally.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by oldpiglady
I've only been into quilting for 3 1/2 yrs. When my Mom and sister found out...the first thing they told me was NOT to make anything for them! One Christmas I got brave. I made one for my sister that was very, very simple. All I did was buy fleece remnants, cut into 5" squares, and sewed them all back togther. I tied it because I didn't know what else to do. It had a flannel backing. She absolutely loved it!!! After a couple of months I was showing off another more involved top. She made sure she wasn't going to receive it... Months later, I made a modified log cabin quilt. Took it to Mom's and put it on her bed. Weeks later, my brother called asked if I could make him one just like it. So I grabbed another quilt I had finished. Cat blocks. Went to Mom's bed again, gave the first one to my brother and gave Mom the newer one. But I've been told "No more". I have made a dozen since. I promised my other brother he could have my very favorite for Christmas coming. Other than that...I keep making them and no one wants them. I find I love them so much when they are done, I just want to keep them anyway. Mom took hers off the bed because she wanted to save it. I put it back on the bed. The sad news is that now her mind is rapidly failing and she isn't even aware it is folded on the chair beside her bed. Hasn't a clue to use it. I usually just read all your posts. Have only commented a couple of times. But I so look forward to reading all the wonderful things you all have to say to each other . Just wanted to say thanks for the entertainment. Ha ha ha
I got to a similar spot in quilts more than more relatives, I donate to charities...hospitals, children ones or the soldiers coming homes, there are several sites to look at and choose by what you made (colors & size).
Good luck & keep learning new quilts. Kayrn
Old 09-26-2011, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by oldpiglady
Originally Posted by sammygirlqt
I agree keep them and enjoy them as long as you want to. I have the same thing in my family so I keep special ones for me and the others get donated to the Cancer Society for patients dealing with cancer. Just enjoy them like we do our fabric stashes.
thing is...after I spend so much time fingering and positioning each little piece, I really love them. Hard to think of just giving them away to someone knowing I will never see it again. Know what I mean?
I know what you mean, I feel the same way when I paint something. I think many people do not understand the love and labor that goes into a quilt. Maybe your's will figure it out later.