Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Beginner Project Suggestions >

Beginner Project Suggestions

Beginner Project Suggestions

Old 11-30-2016, 07:32 PM

Welcome from NJ! While I agree with most others that the patterns you have initially chosen can be challenging, I'm also of the belief that you should make something you like! Out of those 2, I would probably start with the triangle one despite the bias edges - starch is your friend! Unless you have a garment construction background the curves on the other quilt might be more of a challenge than you are currently ready.

I also agree with starting with a baby or lap-sized quilt to start so as to not be overwhelmed with sheer size of your project.

Personally, I would not recommend starting with pre-cuts as they can have their own set of challenges in addition to not gaining the learning/experience of cutting fabric in general. Then again, I'm just not a fan of pre-cuts but have used them when expedient. I prefer yardage and cutting to size as needed.

Yes, rulers will slip. Get some rubbery stick-on dots for your rulers. Put one in each corner. Works a charm. They can usually be picked up reasonably at your local hardware store or JoAnn's also carries them. Well worth the investment.

Best advice I can offer beyond the above - when purchasing rulers, purchase all the same brand. If you are going to go with the triangle quilt as your first project, you'll probably need a Creative Grids triangle ruler. If that is what is recommended - then purchase all of your other basic rulers in the same brand as they tend to measure differently among brands. You'll progress and flow as time passes but at least start out with a couple of basic of the same. Or at least use the same brand throughout a single project.

Remember this is supposed to be fun. Just enjoy the process and forget the race!
Old 11-30-2016, 09:06 PM

bkay, You did a wonderful job! You should be proud of yourself. Thank you for the links. I'll check them out.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:11 PM

Thank you Geri. I'm familiar with MSQC and aware of their YouTube channel. But it sounds like I need to do some binge viewing! As for Eleanor Burns, thank you for the recommendation.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mdegenhart View Post
We did a crib-sized sampler quilt that had lots of difficult techniques, including triangles, templates, flying geese, hand applique, curved seams and Y-seams. If you love it and can sew you can do it. I might not start with circles though
Thank you for the vote of confidence. I concur that the circles are more daunting after a second look.

I'm not put off by a challenge. It's really a matter of perspective and recognition that more difficult projects will take a wee bit longer. That's all.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:18 PM

I really appreciate the quilt design names. It helps a great deal when I'm researching. Thank you for the recommendations.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
While I agree with most others that the patterns you have initially chosen can be challenging, I'm also of the belief that you should make something you like! Out of those 2, I would probably start with the triangle one despite the bias edges - starch is your friend! Unless you have a garment construction background the curves on the other quilt might be more of a challenge than you are currently ready.
Truth be told, I had no interest in quilting until I came upon her designs. I can't explain it. The aesthetic is definitely appealing, but there's something else. I just like them. And I could see them in my home. I think that's important.

I also agree with starting with a baby or lap-sized quilt to start so as to not be overwhelmed with sheer size of your project.
I believe the smaller size will be much easier to navigate.

Personally, I would not recommend starting with pre-cuts as they can have their own set of challenges in addition to not gaining the learning/experience of cutting fabric in general. Then again, I'm just not a fan of pre-cuts but have used them when expedient. I prefer yardage and cutting to size as needed.
I picked up several Omnigrip rulers last week of various sizes (both small and large) along with 3 Olfa rotary cutters. I already had a very large cutting mat. The rulers felt quite solid and that was the selling point. They were on sale and I had a $50 coupon. It was quite a deal.

Thank you for the encouraging words.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:52 PM
Power Poster

Hi newbie, glad you are getting into this quilting thing. There is a lot to learn when you first start. From folding and cutting the fabric, to proper pressing, sewing a consistent 1/4" seam, matching points....the list goes on. When you combine all of this with a difficult pattern it can be overwhelming. I would recommend that you start with a pattern that has squares (or rectangles). The DP9 or Disappearing 9-patch is still one of my go-to patterns. It goes fast and you can get great results with good fabric selection.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:47 AM

Pictures of your proposed projects aren't showing up on my end so have no comment on those. If you have no experience, I suggest a 4 patch or 9 patch with alternating plain squares and keep your project small so you don't become overwhelmed. Rail Fence is another easy one. Love the Warm Wishes, too. But keep your first projects simple until you get familiar with 1/4" seams, etc. Do find someone who has experience and some expectation of "perfection" to help you through the beginning stages. Learn how to match seams, have points on stars--that sort of thing. You won't be sorry later as your finished projects will look better.

Once you get the hang of it--try making pinwheels or a Friendship Star using half square triangles. Those are fun, too.

Last edited by illinois; 12-01-2016 at 03:49 AM. Reason: another suggestion
Old 12-01-2016, 04:06 AM

Welcome to the QB Sarah...it sounds like you've found a lot of resources already including Craftsy. I have purchased several classes over the years which have helped me in my quilting journey. Turning Twenty was one of my first projects and I think Yellow Brick Road is also an easy pattern for a lap or throw size. Just remember to enjoy the ride. : )
Old 12-01-2016, 04:07 AM

For a beginner, you can't beat the Craftsy.com classes, most of all for the reason, once you pay for a class, it is yours forever, you can go back over and over as many times as necessary. When learning closing the binding ends, I literally replayed it 10 seconds at a time over and over, but by gosh, I got it. Be sure you select a beginners class and never pay full price, in time they ALWAYS come on sale, usually not all at the same time, so watch for the one you want. Good luck, you will love it.