Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EQ5 - Users Discussion >

EQ5 - Users Discussion

EQ5 - Users Discussion

Old 02-02-2014, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

i have used mine so many times, it has paid for itself over and over. i've not found a need to upgrade.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:34 AM

I had some trouble finding this discussion, I wish EQ could a topic on the homepage or at least sticky somewhere that would make it easy to find! I love EQ5 and haven't found a good reason to upgrade, what new features the others offered I just didn't think they would help me that much. If I ever upgrade the computer, I'll probably have no choice!

I'm no designer but love the challenge of seeing a photo of a quilt and being able to come up with a pattern. I have all the EQ5 books(was lucky enough to find them "used" on Amazon when the newer version started coming out) but found what helped me the most was doing the Skylights lessons from the EQ website. I think I downloaded it about a year before they removed it but it helped me learn how to look at a quilt and figure out what the block configuration was. I particularily liked how the Lessons took you from one step of the design process to the next, instead what the books are like that you have jump from this chapter to maybe the end of the book to find what you are supposed to do next. I find that very confusing and very hard to retain what I learned.

Hope everyone will share more what they are doing. Does anyone know how to change PJ5 file to one that could be posted here. Would love to show my latest project! Take care, Chris
Old 02-02-2014, 10:52 AM
Power Poster

I finally got the kinks out of the monthly library that is downloadable off of the EQ website. Has anybody tried using the fabric?? I have yet to find a method for if I am looking for a particular color or print, I can find it quickly rather then having to search thru each month. The only negative comment I can make about EQ is the limitation on the number of blocks used in a border or the number of strips in designing a Bargello. As long as you are the registered owner (and you CAN BE even if you bought it used), the technical support will still answer your questions. But that is what I think this thread is for. Posting your questions and having fellow users being able to help you. Lets all have fun EQing !!!
Old 02-02-2014, 11:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Chris48 View Post
I had some trouble finding this discussion, I wish EQ could a topic on the homepage or at least sticky somewhere that would make it easy to find! I love EQ5 and haven't found a good reason to upgrade, what new features the others offered I just didn't think they would help me that much. If I ever upgrade the computer, I'll probably have no choice!

I'm no designer but love the challenge of seeing a photo of a quilt and being able to come up with a pattern. I have all the EQ5 books(was lucky enough to find them "used" on Amazon when the newer version started coming out) but found what helped me the most was doing the Skylights lessons from the EQ website. I think I downloaded it about a year before they removed it but it helped me learn how to look at a quilt and figure out what the block configuration was. I particularily liked how the Lessons took you from one step of the design process to the next, instead what the books are like that you have jump from this chapter to maybe the end of the book to find what you are supposed to do next. I find that very confusing and very hard to retain what I learned.

Hope everyone will share more what they are doing. Does anyone know how to change PJ5 file to one that could be posted here. Would love to show my latest project! Take care, Chris
in EQ5 you can use the export snapshot. this is a little camera icon. Click on it and you will see a magnifying glass with an x in the middle. Position the x over the upper left corner of your quilt. Draw it down to the lower right hand corner and let go. a small menu will pop up. you can click on save to clipboard. then open Paint and click on paste. You'll see Paste or Paste from. Click on paste and it will put your quilt on paint. Click on the menu and then click on save. Make sure you change the file type to jpeg. and save it to a file in your computer.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:07 PM

Thanks, Rhonda! I will give this try. I'm trying to get the quilt cut out for tomorrow's quilt workshop. And since I'm not watching the game(my dh might but not me!) maybe I can try this later. Chris
Old 02-02-2014, 08:38 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]460298[/ATTACH]Well, I've learned something new today! Thank you Rhonda!!! It's taken me almost two yrs to get up the nerve to attempt this quilt. In Apr 2012, I had seen a photo of a similar(say that because nothing is exactly)quilt in the Country Sampler magazine. I had posted question asking for help to identify the block, was told that Quilter's Cache had a block called DoubleZ but that block had pinwheel in the center. The quilt I was wanted to make didn't but was told the center block could be the center block from Broken Dishes. So I have decided to call my block Crosses and Broken Dishes. If the block is turned on point, the print fabrics make a cross.

There are 25 pieced blocks and 16 solid and triangles along the edges. I have twelve fabric, three prints of red, blue, green, and brown with off white to finish the pieced blocks. I'm going to repeat each fabric twice with a third repeat in red; and plan to use it in the center of the quilt. The solid block is fabric that is mottled dark gray. I didn't like black with the fabrics but thought the dark gray was a better choice. In the magazine photo, the blocks were done in different colors of polka dot fabric and solid blocks were black.

Hope everyone has a great week ahead. We should be having nice normal weather for a change, last week it was snowing and hard freezes several nights in a row. Take care, Chris
Attached Thumbnails crossesandbrokendishes.jpg  
Old 02-02-2014, 08:44 PM

I thought I'd mention, I did get in touch with the lady who the article in the magazine was about, to ask if she knew the name of the block. She didn't know so that is why I thought it was okay for me to name it. If anyone knows what the block might be called please let me know. Would rather call it by the right name! Chris
Old 02-02-2014, 09:12 PM
Power Poster

I have found unless it is a copyrighted pattern you can name it anything you want. You do need to be wary of posting pictures on here of any copyrighted patterns you didn't create.

I do mostly traditional and I gave up long ago on trying to find the names of blocks.LOL

I'm glad you learned something new! I'm always learning new things too. It's a journey with no end thank goodness!! Can you imagine some day saying well I've learned it all? Nothing more to learn! LOL
Old 02-02-2014, 09:14 PM
Power Poster

I do wish there was one big site where you could post a picture of the quilt block and get an answer of what the name is. LOL An image library with a search button would be great!
Old 02-03-2014, 12:43 PM
Power Poster

I just bought an old copy of Blockbase. Haven't figure out how to search. Does anybody have a new version that they could search for Chris48 block. It is really an interesting block. Have you noticed that in the print section you can select to paper piece a block or get rotary cutting direction???