Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I hurt my machine's feelings! Ha, ha... >

I hurt my machine's feelings! Ha, ha...

I hurt my machine's feelings! Ha, ha...

Old 02-09-2017, 07:42 AM

Default I hurt my machine's feelings! Ha, ha...

Hi everybody,
So I went to a class to learn to make fabric bowls. My Janome was not a happy camper. The clothesline got stuck under my presser foot and wouldn't budge. My up and down lever wouldn't work. I was pretty frustrated. Some other people were also having issues. Some talk started about big machines at home and I looked at mine and thought this is my big machine! (My other machine is a Featherweight).
Caught up in the moment, I started thinking of those big machines. (Truth be told, I have been thinking of upgrading for some time). But just to make a fabric bowl? I don't think so. My machine that looks so good at home looked so small in that big church hall...and who knew there are tension controls for presser feet? I sure didn't.
Also, where would a new machine live? We live in one place for part of the year and another for the other part.
Maybe I should just keep trucking with what I have. I do know that I am getting fed up with packing my machine up with all the other stuff to sew on a table height that isn't comfortable and, then, not getting anything done.
I tried a very nice lady's 6600 to get the feel for how making a fabric bowl should feel like. It was a very nice machine but didn't seem to have a very big throat.
So I may need to spend some extra time with my machine today...some satisfying, productive time.
Any one else ever feel like this?
Old 02-09-2017, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
who knew there are tension controls for presser feet?
Can you explain this a bit more? I have 7 machines and have never heard of this. Is it possible you're talking about the presser foot pressure?
Old 02-09-2017, 09:56 AM

Do you mean regulating the pressure on the presser foot?
Old 02-09-2017, 10:14 AM
Power Poster

Yes sometimes I think of getting a heavy duty machine. I do have my mother's old singer 99 in the garage, but I have never used her. I have thought about making those baskets and now I know to get her out when I do. So thanks for that. Are you going to show your basket?

I was thinking maybe a walking foot would be of some use too. ??? With all that bulk it seems to me it would be a good helper.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 02-09-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:27 AM

Hmm, I've made a few of those using "small" machines and they worked fine. Perhaps the rope was to thick, or your needle wasn't the correct one for that project, stitches to small...could have been any of those or combo of......if your present machine does everything else you ask of it, just take rope bowls off your list......
Old 02-09-2017, 10:34 AM

Aw, I'm sorry your class didn't go well. I hate it when my machine doesn't want to learn what I want to!

Have you wanted a bigger machine before? If not, then I maybe don't start looking just because of on fabric bowl. Will your life be incomplete if you can't make those bowls? If not, stick with what you have. If you've wanted a bigger machine before, though, then maybe think about it.

You mention packing up to sew on a table height that isn't comfortable. Have you considered getting a little folding table to take to classes/retreats? I know a couple people that use them, and find it worthwhile. Here's one; there are plenty more out there, from a variety of suppliers.

https://www.amazon.com/Arrow-Sewing-...+machine+table

I sewed on a table like this for 2 years while at university; it lowered the machine, and folded up nice an small for my teensy apartment. It would be easy to take to sewing classes. https://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-2824...justable+table

I think you've got the right idea, spending some quality time with your machine. I wish I was doing that today; my machine looks at me with sad eyes every time I sit at my sewing table and mark papers instead of sewing. Get something done, and hopefully it will all seem better.
<3
Old 02-09-2017, 10:50 AM

I have eight machines. I can't seem to get rid of one because each machine does one thing much better than any of the other seven. Having said that, the newer machines make most things easier to work with. I just wanted to do more stuff. Some of those really big machines do everything including the kitchen sink. The down side for me is that they tend to be complicated to use. They often try to merge a computer with the sewing machine. I had purchased a bigger Bernina last year and it took forever for me to find the right screen to do what I wanted to do. On my old Bernina, there was a button right there on the front of the machine. I ended up trading it in for a Babylock. The model I got has a bigger throat than any of the other machines I have and is perfect for quilting. So if you think one of the newer machines would enhance your sewing pleasure, why not get one? You may just need to take one machine with you when you travel between places. Beside, you only live once. Lick the bowl.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:51 PM

I love love my big machines. It does everything. I have never regretted its purchase. Suprisingly thought my little cheap machine has been a tough little trooped has done everything I have asked of it. I also use it all the time so it may be your machine just isn't powerful enough. I have had 4 brothers and 1 babylock, cheap and high quality, and they are all different. some of my cheap brothers can't handle thickness while others can and even my pricey babylock could not handle what my pricey brother can so it is all dependent of the motor power. Needle type and size also play a very significant role and people sometimes discount a machine when they really were not using the correct needle. I don't feel my big machines were complicated at all to learn, but I have used a viking which was easy to use and a Bernina which was not so ease of use is really brand specific when talking high end machines. I used all mine direct from box no classes needed but the lovely thing about big machines is you grow with them. I have had my biggest machine for over 4 years and I still learn new things about it to love. If you really liked the 6600 I would look at the janome 9400 as that is one amazing machine that even turned my eye and I am truly a brother-made kind of gal
Old 02-09-2017, 05:25 PM

Yes, some of the smaller machines had a dial on the top that regulated the pressure of the presser foot. I had never heard of such a thing. I was supposed to zig zag so I'm not sure if I could use my walking foot. I didn't get anything done. The little round base got completely stuck under the foot and I had to tug and tug to get it out. I was so afraid I was going to break my machine. The table idea is a good one. I'm just not feeling much desire to take many classes right now. Ironically, when I was teaching, I loved taking classes. Now that I'm retired, I'm happy to sew at home! Go figure!
I really don't have a burning desire to make these. It just looked like fun. Some of those bowls are very nice. After talking to a friend today who doesn't sew but does do other crafts, I realized I could take a class at our state quilt show where machines are provided, if only to try out a bigger machine. Then I could try out a different model and maybe take advantage of a discount after the class.
I really appreciate all of you taking the time to share your thoughts with me.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:07 PM

I sew with a Janome 625 e and make bowls and mats all the time. I use 3/8" and 1/4" rope. Have not had a problem. I would have to take my favorite machine with me. I would miss it too much to be without it.