Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome Artistic Quilter 18 >

Janome Artistic Quilter 18

Janome Artistic Quilter 18

Old 04-08-2013, 02:50 AM

I agree about the owners manual. It just gives the basics ,not very detailed.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:01 PM

I have had a viking 18 x 8 for about 3 years. Had lots of trouble at 1st, but is now working quite well. The main problem was lack of knowledge and support. Mine was a bobbin problem and once it got solved, which took months, it is a very nice machine. The manual is crap, but I found that Tin Lizzie is the same and started watching you tube videos on the Tin Lizzie and learned lots.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:11 PM

I also wanted to mention that I watched a video on You tube. Search on www.youtube.com for Taking the stress out of long arm quilting by Jamie Wallen. I watched that and I did as he suggested with setting the bobbin tension. Never had the machine work so good. I think I had the bobbin tension too tight.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:26 PM

Default Purchased the Janome Artistic 18

I bit the bullet and purchase a Janome Artistic 18. It is to be delivered and set-up the middle of June. So if anyone has any words of wisdom to share with me, I would be most appreciative. Does any one use pantos or groovy boards? Does anyone have the Quilt Motion with their system? I am not a creative person so I am thinking of purchasing the Quilt Motion robotics as well. Thanks for any info Artistic 18 owners have to offer.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:10 AM

Hi Donna,

I'm an Artistic 18 owner (had posts earlier in this thread). My words of wisdom - patience. I had problems with 2 machines before getting one that wasn't a dud. I'm not to the point where I 'LOVE' it yet, but our relationship is improving (lol). I've done about 8 small charity quilts (still not feeling comfortable enough to quilt one of my own) but I've been happy with the results. I've used pantos - but with this machine, you'll definitely want to keep an eye on what's going on at the needle too. I've also done a limited amount of ruler work (clam shell template from Handiquilter). Again - good enough on charity quilts for infants. I can't see myself ever quilting for hire - but I don't know if that's because of the machine or my skills. Good luck with your new machine. Keep us posted and let us know how you enjoy it.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:11 AM

Thanks for the words of wisdom. Like you I do not plan on quilting for others, since I do not like being on a schedule. I am quilting as a hobby for me. I know I will need lots of practice. I do not have an artistic bone in my body. And I am retired so I have all the time (not really) in the world for time an patience.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:00 PM

I meant to post this several months ago, but forgot. I bought my A=18 about a year ago, but kept having problems with the jog button. Then several other aggravations started including a bobbin winder that didn't work right and temperamental tension. Bottom line is I took it back to the dealer and demanded that it be fixed or my money refunded. I had talked with them several times re. these issues, but the repairs didn't work.

They reset the timing, fixed the bobbin winder, but could not get the jog switch to work. After numerous calls with the main headquarters and their techs they figured out the wiring harness was bad. It was all replaced and now my machine seems to be working right. They had the machine for three weeks waiting for parts. Since I was right at the warranty Janome tried to make me pay, but my dealer stood up for me and everything was covered. Since this experience I learned from another longarmer that someone she knows had the same problem, so they researched it. Apparently this is an issue that has come up a number of times. Linda seemed to think Tin Lizzie has this issue also. Anyway if you have a jog switch problem, talk to you dealer asap. Mine started off with occasional problems then progressed to 100% not working, then the stitch length started acting up. One day out of the blue it made a pop sound and wouldn't stitch at all. That was when I lost it!!!! Donna C
Old 06-25-2013, 02:45 PM

I was reading this thread last night and decided that I needed to come back and make a comment. In April this year I commented on all the problems I had with my 18 x 8 Viking (Made by Tin Lizzie) but felt confident that it was finally working well. I used it about 2 weeks ago and while quilting it all a sudden broke a needle and froze up to the point that I couldn't even get it to move with the hand wheel. It is back in the shop. I for one would not recommend any machine that is made by Tin Lizzie. After four years of spending more time in the shop then here, I think mine is junk.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:55 AM

It looks like I'm late to the party.... I so wish I had read this thread before buying my AQ18 - having so many problems just setting the entire thing up because (1) lack of instructions that apply to my machine/frame/QM combination, (2) lack of all parts needed to put it together for my combination that was sold to me in a package deal - I call and say I'm missing this/that and then I have to wait about a week for UPS to deliver, (3) initially a week delay in receiving the Gracie frame - the only thing that went together nicely, and (4) had to return QuiltMotion and get a new one - supposedly straight from Janome to retailer, then right out to me without opening. I get it, there are NO disks, instructions, NOTHING but parts (and 2 critical bolts weren't included) so it sits, waiting for Monday when I can call...

I've yet to even turn on the AQ18! Please, Dear Lord, let the machine work properly!

I really hated to make the first loan payment without even plugging in the machine! But, it's done. Moving on...

First question... how do you get the encoders to roll 100% of the time? Sometimes they roll, then stop rolling. I do have a washer between encoder and carriage, so it's not touching the carriage. Wondering what's causing it to be so "tight" and drag?

Any help would be a great thing!
Old 06-10-2014, 05:33 PM

czechprincess, did you get it to work right? I have a Bernina frame and am planning to purchase an Artistic Quilter. I won't get it if there is that much trouble to use.