Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machines Plus >

Sewing Machines Plus

Sewing Machines Plus

Old 06-11-2015, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Maybe this is a naive question, but won't dealers help support the machine no matter where you bought it? At least enough to get you in touch with the manufacturer, etc?

Otherwise, it sort of sounds like if you buy a longarm you better not ever move to a new area or you're out of luck.
OK if you just spent 10 Grand on a machine and it didn't run right do you want to have to jump through hoops to get it running? Wait for days before you get a call back? Be expected to fix your own machine via telephone instructions? Struggle with setup for days before you realize the retailer shipped a wrong part? (these are all scenarios I found when googling complaints) I know I don't.

How about on line retailers who say the warrantee is void if you purchase via the internet? (I did find a BBB complaint that said that)

If you buy a LA from a local dealer and move someplace and the machine is still under warrantee then yes, you will need to contact the manufacturer directly for support or they will help you find a new local dealer to support you. If the machine is no longer under warrantee then it totally depends on the tech support of the manufacturer. So one really needs to do their homework. The tech support for my machine is beyond compare. 24-7-365 phone support. But it is really nice to have the backup of a local, reputable dealer. And I loved having them come right to my home to deliver it and set it up at no additional cost to me. I was up and running the day my machine came home. That can't always be said for on line purchases of LA machines.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:40 PM

I bought from a local dealer (about 50 or so miles away) and she was a great deal of help. My DH is good at putting things together so he assembled the frame and set it all up. He made calls to our dealer if he had a problem and also to the manufacturer, who was very helpful also, great company. So customer service is very important. A LA is so different from a DM and often needs adjustments. There is quite a learning curve.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:53 PM

I bought my Sweet Sixteen from them & no problems at all setting it up! Sewed great right from the first stitch!! Very nice company!
Old 06-12-2015, 03:44 AM

I agree with whats being said above about local support on your 1st LA. I purchased a used LA from another state. Although they were good people to deal with, there was no support at all. I have a Queen Quilter 18, made by Tin Lizzie. I did have some issues in the beginning & Tin Lizzie was able to talk me through the issues. They've been great with customer service. But, I would have been better off having bought locally with set up, training & troubleshooting. Now that I have much more experience in troubleshooting & a local person who can come to the house & do repairs on any LA, I wouldn't hesitate to buy online for a better set up.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:02 AM

I've bought lots of things from them, including 2 machines. Before I bought the machines, I checked with my local dealer first re: $$$ and he could not come even close to the price that Sewing Machines Plus quoted. I've given my local guy lots and lots of business over the years so do not feel an iota of guilt when I can save money by buying from an on-line dealer.

I've been very satisfied with dealing with Sewing Machines Plus. I just ordered and received 2 small items; one of them was out-of-stock and a lady from SMP called me and said it was on back order, so I should not worry if I didn't get it for a while. They sent the one item immediately and the back-ordered item about a week later. Very good service. Another time I did not get all the 'free items' promised me with the purchase of a machine; I called their toll-free number and the items were shipped right away.

On the other hand, the machines I bought from them were very basic; for a complex system, I would much prefer to buy locally. You cannot buy really expensive stuff on-line from SMP; those machines, etc., are bought in-store only.

Last edited by weezie; 06-12-2015 at 04:07 AM.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:55 AM

If you're talking about the company in San Marcos, CA, I bought an 18" Tin Lizzie from them several years ago when we lived in CA about 80 miles from them. We had to set it up ourselves, by that I mean my husband did it. They weren't very good in response time when we needed help. I've found in looking for parts/accessories, there are several places that have better prices. The Sales Dept. is quick to respond, not so much the Tech. I'd go with a local company 'cause if you have to have service, you don't want to ship. You'll need a lot of training so you can do most of the maintenance/repairs yourself. I still wish I had gotten a bigger throat machine because although it says 18" you won't be able to do even a 12" square in one go. Good luck.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:56 AM

I have use them for parts. They were great to deal with.

I agree with some of the other posters however - a reputable local dealer might be worth a few more dollars when it comes to training, support and repair.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:09 AM

I am glad you asked this question.. I look at their website alot but I have not purchased anything from the. Now that I hear others have I may venture a purchase That being said, I love my local dealer and I would be afraid to purchase a machine from some place far away. Yes a dealer is a dealer and will work on the machine, but I can't help but understand if they put their customers ahead of other customers...
Old 06-12-2015, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
Yes a dealer is a dealer and will work on the machine, but I can't help but understand if they put their customers ahead of other customers...
many will not do warranty work at no charge unless you bought your machine from them.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:49 AM

I bought my Janome 7700 from them. Good price and no problems with delivery. However, I am sorry I didn't pay more and buy locally. There are very few dealers in NYC and the few that exist are hard to get to. Even with that said, I know I underutilize my machine because I have so many features that are not clear to me. (Another note to self - quit overbuying!) I had a notable problem once and they were terrific about a replacement and one other time, I couldn't get something to sew properly, I was given to a sewing expert who helped me. They may offer more customer service than I ever pursued so if you do buy from them, see what they can offer you with help at home. On the other hand, if you have a local shop, it really is worth the few dollars more to be able to run in and ask for help. Enjoy whatever you purchase.