Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Table next to sewing machine... >

Table next to sewing machine...

Table next to sewing machine...

Old 11-01-2014, 03:25 AM
Administrator

you are definitely not the only one.
i need lots of elbow room when i work.

i sacrificed my dining area to create my work space.
i used two hollow-core doors; DIY legs; created an L.
my computer equipment and a set of drawers sit in one direction.
the L to my right is for sewing. my machine sits at the "bottom" right corner.
when it's clear, i have more than 6 feet to my left.
during top construction, that's where i lay out my pieces.
while quilting or binding, i lay the quilt to the left.
that's all the space i need if i'm working on anything smaller than a queen.

i got the doors on sale; the overall expense was low ...
unless you factor in the cost of a lost dining room.
and the fact that the whole setup is butt ugly.
functional ... but definitely not attractive. LOL

i have no idea what i'd do if i ever decided to throw a dinner party.
wait til summer and do it outdoors, i guess. LOL LOL LOL
Old 11-01-2014, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Julienm1 View Post
I always look when someone posts their new or reorganized sewing room. But what I've noticed no one except me, it seems, needs a table next to the sewing machine.

Just the two of us now so we eat at the kitchen island so the dining room is MINE, kinda. My sewing table nests into the corner, table at my right elbow, swivel chair. Table serves as cutting table, surface for laying out bocks, cut fabric ready to be sewn etc.

Am I the only one that needs extra space close by?
I bought the neatest chair at Target - it is called a Bungee chair - it is so comfortable and I can wheel around my area for my sewing. I have my sewing table next to my sewing machine, but it is attached one to the other. I have another little table behind where I sew and I can just whip myself around and there is my area for ironing with a board that I have around 2x2-1/2' where I can iron my pieces and form the design, etc. Needless to say I need more than one table. Also, I have my new Yamaha keyboard where, when I just want to take a break, I'll slide over on my bungee chair and play some hymns in the organ mode or work on my Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven in the piano mode. Wonderful invention, the Yamaha keyboard. I love it. Found a wonderful Methodist Hymnal that has the song "Let There Be Peace on Earth" and it literally restores my soul. Of course I have my old Lutheran Hymnal that I prize with my life and I play from that also.

Back to the table - the more tables, the more moving room with the chair on wheels, the better I can work with everything right at hand and my space is very small. I sort of work inside a circle. But I love it. Everything is where it is supposed to be and I can still see the birds feeding outside, or eventually watch a "major snowstorm in the City of St. Paul".

I figured out that in a house with 744 square feet, we make do. Imagine us in one of those Tiny Houses (on cable tv). There was one tiny house where a woman was a quilter - Boy, talk about making do in a little home that is about 4-500 square feet, if that!!!!! As long as I know where everything is, I'm a happy camper, but lose one thing, I am like the Tasmanian Devil! Gotta find it - Gotta find it!!!!!!!

Have a great day - and eat the rest of that candy up before someone else does!!!!! Edie
Old 11-01-2014, 04:42 AM

I like having a table beside my sewing machine table. When I was using a larger space I had 2, made a "U" shaped work space. Now I just have a small TV table but it comes in handy.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:51 AM

When I had my house built almost 20 years ago, my contractor had a white kitchen countertop that wasn't needed in another project. When I told him one of the bedrooms was a sewing room, he gave it to me, so I have a nice long area that I keep all 6 machines/sergers on, but I still have to use my dining room table when I FMG! I always leave my ironing board up in the sewing room at sitting level which gives me additional work space, too!
Old 11-01-2014, 04:55 AM

I have a wooden tv tray to my right that holds all of the things I need also. I figured out that need early on in my quilting. I've rearranged my room so many times until I finally found the best way that works for me. It is interesting to read the different arrangements that work for different quilters.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:25 AM

Absolutely LOVE your arrangement with your keyboard as a closeby option! That's so cool!!!

I have a Sew-Ezi table that can be moved easily for more space (or it's up against a bookshelf). It faces the window, which I love. Everyone's arrangements of adding a table beside or behind the sewing machine are understandable. Limited space limits my desire and ability to easily quilt larger projects. And a LAQ machine isn't an option. So, I need consider creating extra counter space and moving my Sew-Ezi table around to where a folding table can be set beside it for more project space. That 'might' be possible if I put the ironing board up to the window and use all floor space for this set up. Maybe. It's a way to solve the quilting space problem.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:37 AM
Power Poster

I have a 30x72" folding table that my portable machine sits on and I also use it for my cutting table. It is against one wall. Above that is a 3 shelves. I was using a card table but it was not stable enough and my machine would bounce with every stitch. DH put a board under to stabilize it. Shortly after is when we got the 30x72 table. My 401 desk cabinet sits in front of the large window and butts up against the folding table. I practiced the other day on a stained sheet and old mattress pad ($8.00 at discount store). I found if I put a couple tv trays behind the 401 and with the folding table and card table next to me it worked great for quilting a queen sized quilt. I have on the opposite side of the room about 2-3 feet away a work bench that was put up about 12 years ago for other crafting. The piece of wood I used to keep my portable from bouncing is perfect size for small ironing board. I get my big ironing board out when I pre iron my stash after washing and when I need to starch. I butt it up against my bench and cover the bench with a flannel table cloth so I don't get overspray starch on the bench and stash. It also give me extra space for large pieces to be ironed. My stash is on comic boards nearby and in clear containers on the floor under the bench. All of this fits in a 8x9 room. The work bench has a couple drawers and cabinets underneath. Everything is labeled. I would rather be able to glance and see what is where instead of dig through everything. Most of my equipment other than my 401 can be put/folded away quickly. We bought an inflatable bed for overnight guests. There will be plenty of space for any guests to put their bags on the bench and they will be able to hang coats in the closet. Haven't had any guests for awhile and I know someone is about due. I keep trying to downsize but realize I just need to reorganize!
Old 11-01-2014, 05:46 AM

I have a Koala sewing cabinet, all opened up/extended, and to the left of me butted up against my Koala cabinet is a 30x72" table. On it, I have my Martelli roundabout with the ironing surface so that I can swivel around right to it to press and cut. The table also holds pieces that I'm working on.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:50 AM
Jim

The table with my machine and "stuff" is 36 x 72, I have an additional table to my right that is the same size to hold the weight of the quilt, when binding or quilting
Old 11-01-2014, 06:27 AM

Lol, this is probably the only time this room was this clean, but am lucky enough to have TWO tables, and right now a third in my bedroom that is always clear, I use it when I am basting
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg