Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Vent: Joann's Store >

Vent: Joann's Store

Vent: Joann's Store

Old 06-14-2010, 10:28 AM

Our JoAnne's store is up/down, one day you go in and swear you will never come back, the next time you get treated like a queen! They are one of the few around here and their coupons make it worth the hassle, but I do avoid one certain lady at the cutting table!
Old 06-14-2010, 10:28 AM

On Apr 26 I ordered a large (96 pounds) part from Sears. Delivery was to be May 7. Kept trying until May 17 and finally cancelled order. Part was delivered on May 27. Called Sears for them to have UPS pick up return. Promised 3 days - June 3 called again - promised 3 days. June 7 called Sears Corporate in IL. Told them to pick up immediately or part was going on street with trash. June 8 part was picked up by UPS.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:37 AM

The experience at JA seems to be universal. I have gone there many times and to several and gotten terrible service. I used to work for Hancock's but they fired me because I believe they did not like customer service I gave. I believe that customer service is the most important part of any business. I guess that it is not to the companies
Old 06-14-2010, 10:47 AM

I'm so sorry you had such an awful experience. Hopefully there are other fabric stores in your area.
I feel kind of bad now, living close to one of the good Joann's and a clean, friendly Walmart. I didn't go into the Joann's for 2 years because of a car accident, and when I did go in the gal came from around the cutting counter and gave me the biggest hug, after mentioning to me she hadn't seen me in awhile, I wasn't going to mention it. I've been going to that Joann's since I was 10 (I'm 52 now), even though it's location has periodically changed. We joke they even put in the newer overpass over the highway so I could get to Joann's faster!
It's probably like a lot of places, only as good as the people they employ.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by RugosaB
I'm so sorry you had such an awful experience. Hopefully there are other fabric stores in your area.
I feel kind of bad now, living close to one of the good Joann's and a clean, friendly Walmart. I didn't go into the Joann's for 2 years because of a car accident, and when I did go in the gal came from around the cutting counter and gave me the biggest hug, after mentioning to me she hadn't seen me in awhile, I wasn't going to mention it. I've been going to that Joann's since I was 10 (I'm 52 now), even though it's location has periodically changed. We joke they even put in the newer overpass over the highway so I could get to Joann's faster!
It's probably like a lot of places, only as good as the people they employ.
I think that must be the answer to the whole situation, and the people who advise letting the company know when the service is poor could be absolutely right. I'm sure they have had complaints, but like the old adage says, 'It's hard to get good help these days!!'
Old 06-14-2010, 11:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Crafty1
What went wrong? Hum, in a nutshell...

Well, 1) as always the price on the bolt was different than what the register says.

2) Then the attitude of the person cutting the fabric, she gave me looks like she has to cut all of them. Meanwhile, one lady had like 10 bolts of fleece, and another had like 20 bolts, so my few bolts wasn't that much of a bother to cut.

3) Left and loaded the car and checked my receipt and guess what, my receipt was wrong, once again, wrong!

4) Go back in and the lady who rang me up said she is on break and someone else will change it (she was outside talking on the phone).

5) the manager took my receipt, huffed and puffed and said she couldn't help me because the register automatically does the discounts. She wouldn't listen to me explain what the lady who rang me up did. I said, every time I come here there's always something. She looked at me and said, well, I can't help you.

So I walked out saying I'm done, then the lady who is still break asked if it was fixed. I said no, and told her what the manager said, and she said that's not right, I would fix it for you but I'm still on break.

What a horrible morning it was.
It took 2 years to figure this out?

Not trying to be a smart butt but the third time is a charm with me. I went to the JoAnns here and looked around noticed pretty much what you have said and I just turned and left. I never bought the first thing there. The Hancock Fabrics will take the JA coupons and the service there is superb.

I guess from me having to deal with straightening messes out like this I have no tolerance for poor customer service.

Billy
Old 06-14-2010, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Crafty1
To make a long story short, this morning I went there and left, once again so mad and upset, that I will not ever shop there again. I am so done with that store it's not even funny. I'm still so mad and upset that I'm still shaking as I type. Two years I've been shopping there, two years I've walked out upset, two years is long enough.

Ebay and I are best friends as well as the dealer I got my sewing machine from (they offer 20% off all regular priced items), I'd have to drive farther to the LQS, and the classified's here.

I'm sorry, but I just can't find the right words at this time, I'm not even sure what I wrote makes sense. Thanks for letting me vent.
I'm not a fan of Joann Fabrics myself! I worked there for a month, during their remodel. The Corporate office was constantly in to check things...

I was on the morning crew for the remodel, and the night crew ALWAYS left us a mess to clean up, before the customers came... And the night crew always complained about us doing stuff that we did not do!

OH! And then they'll have a sale, and when it ends, they don't remove the signs.

I wonder, did you have a woman named Helene cut your fabric... lol... of course not, but I know what you mean about the fabric cutters being so rude. Helene, she works at the Joanns by me, is a b**ch. So is Rebecca, I only liked two of them. And half the time they don't even cut the fabric right! Talk about untrained.

OH! They let me go at the end of the remodel since they didn't have anymore positions. My dbil was hired on, which I'm happy he was, especially since he has a baby to support plus my sister as well... not that he gets decent hours. But then, there are people who are working there, that were not on the night crew or the morning crew... and started working about a week or two after the remodel... so NO POSITIONS MY A**!!!

I only go there if I absolutely have to... I've told my mother that we will have to start going to Hancock fabrics, I'm not going to Joanns... I'm done with them.

I have online sites that I can get fabric from as well.. and if I need to see what it looks like person, I can order a swatch of the fabric.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:14 PM

They tried that on me so I've begun to make the most expensive purchase first, take it to the car and come back to finishup, IF I want to finish

Originally Posted by tortoisethreads
I hear ya on that one. I like to use those 40% off coupons on lots of yrds of solids. I always tell them tho use it on that- what do they do? They use the coupon for my kid's packs of gum! I'm kind of an ebay girl now!
Old 06-14-2010, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by GrammaNancy
You are Absolutely NOT alone. Joanne's can be a nightmare. For one thing corporate is so cheep, even on big sales they never have enough help and what they have is usually poorly trained. I speak from experience as years ago I worked there. As soon as someone was well trained they offered a tiny raise. Mine was 13cents. I quit! I was teaching classes for them, and that raise really said just how much they appreciated their help.
We have two stores about the same distance away one north, one south. I will go north. But never again south, I leave just like you, shaking and disgusted.
Right on the money! (no pun intended) I worked there too. JoAnn corporate does not value the fabrics enough to train staff. Our JoAnn was allowed 4 hours to train a new hire- for everything, including register!!!
Years ago we were rigorously trained. That was before "retailers" ran the company!
Old 06-14-2010, 12:22 PM

Wow, my Joann's is nice. I wouldn't put up with any garbage anyway. I would phone the head office and the manager would not have gotten off that easy....anyway, I am one to check them as they cut...while she cuts and puts it in the machine, I will repeat the price to her and so on, just to make sure as I can cancel right then and there if anything. I have it already all added up in my head when I check out more or less...I like joann's for the muslin and some things where I can used my 40% coupon as you can't beat it...

They wouldn't dare use my coupon on anything other than I tell them lol. I do shop for most of my fabric at Handcocks of Paducha, when they have a big sale on.