Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what would you do if your daughter came home and said you ex is getting married and ? >

what would you do if your daughter came home and said you ex is getting married and ?

what would you do if your daughter came home and said you ex is getting married and ?

Old 11-27-2011, 06:48 AM

No way!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-27-2011, 06:55 AM

I think you should help your daughter and enjoy the time you spend with her on it. Don't do it for her. But, guide her along the way. It takes a big person to be able to do something like this and I know you've got to be that person or your daughter wouldn't ask you to do it. Enjoy the time you spend with your daughter and if you get to feeling "catty" about it, just remember they "have to use it" and she can't get rid of it. heheheheh!
Old 11-27-2011, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
i would help her- it is her father- and she certainly has the right to make him something special if that's what she wants- it really has nothing to do with you- other than her need with some quilting assistance/guidance- think of it as a project you are helping your daughter with---what she does with it when she is finished is up to her.
Yep, I'm in total agreement.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:09 AM

i would have to agree. As much as i can hold a grudge. I would enjoy working with my daughter no matter what the project. I had a kinda same dilemma as i was asked to help my daughter make a quilt for a LOSER of a boyfriend and I did. Never regretted it. (the quilt lasted longer than the boyfriend when he left she went back to his mother and got the quilt and she still has it) It just shows that the quilt was more important than the boyfriend.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:14 AM

I would do it because you are above holding a gruge, and the best part will be when your daughter tells them that you helped her, then the ball will be in their court as to whether the she will let him use it. Enjoy the time with you daughter, you will be teaching her more than you realize like getting on with your life and not dwelling on bad memories, as one day she might be in the same position, though we all hope not.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:14 AM

The operative word here is HELP her. It would be a act of love for her to put aside any negative fellings about your EX and help her make a quilt. It could also help her learn a lesson about generosity and forgiveness (forgiving EXs) I have an EX and do not really like him but would help my daughter if she asked. Have fun working with you daughtyer!
Old 11-27-2011, 07:15 AM

ROL -- I'm laughing because my daughter asked me if I'd make her father's bride's wedding bouquet!!!!! LOL LOL I helped her make one, but I don't think the bride used it. It IS hard, but as the others say --you're doing it for your daughter. Think of it as a customer's quilt. BTW -- my daughter and I have a wonderful relationship to this day......... Bite your tongue and enjoy the process, you won't be sorry.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:16 AM

You are helping your daughter! so what if it is for the ex.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:34 AM

I wouldn't take her to a quilting class, she is asking you to help her and you would look so great in her eyes that you helped her do something for her dad. A child is the one that suffers in a divorce more than you even know and this will help her a lot to know you are not a bitter person. Enjoy making a quilt with your daughter!

Cookie64

Last edited by Cookie64; 11-27-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae View Post
I would not make it. I would teach her how to make the quilt if she doesn't already know, and let her make it. It is a gift from her, and I think she should make it.
I agree with what Sadiemae has said. I would not make it either, just guide her along. Have her buy the fabrics she wishes to use. It's a gift from her to her father. It's a relationship between mother and daughter that will be made stronger. You might also consider a lap quilt for him. What ever your feelings for your X, he's still your daughters father