Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What are you biggest changes in quilting this year? >

What are you biggest changes in quilting this year?

What are you biggest changes in quilting this year?

Old 07-12-2012, 06:03 AM

Default What are you biggest changes in quilting this year?

What has been the biggest changes and differences in your quilting world this year? Thought it would interesting to compare.

Last year at this time I was looking at the larger, bright patterned fabric and some of what I would consider a minimalistic/modern pattern and thinking......why bother? Absolutely did not appeal to me. What a difference a year makes! I'm still a traditionalist but what fun to work out of your comfort level.

Also, never seriously considering making a quilt out of solid fabrics. Saw some wonderfully inspiring quilts here on QB and made one for myself. Just love it.

Last, with the closing of my favorite LQS, I have been forced to rely on my stash and buy on the internet. Sometimes it's pure blind faith that the fabric is accurately depicted. Connecting Threads has become my new BFF. I look to them to provide great thread and affordable fabric and I have not been disappointed.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:37 AM

I began quilting with an introduction class over thirty years ago, took a long hiatus and began again just a little over a year ago through the encouragement of a very dear friend. I just love it and don‘t know where I would be without quilting as part of my life; I wish I had never stopped! In the past year I have completed three quilts and have been working by hand on a king-sized Cathedral Window quilt. I have grown immensely in my knowledge and skills as a direct result of the board and all you wonderful quilters sharing your ideas, talents, tips, photos, etc. I have become more comfortable in all aspects of my quilting, both hand and machine and it has brought sheer joy into my life…..thank you one and all!
Old 07-12-2012, 06:38 AM

Mastering FMQ. Well not mastering but at least learning to use my long arm that I've had for 8 yrs. Also would like to do "Thinking Out of The Box' quilt.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

This year I am trying to complete some UFO's and use things from my stash. While cleaning my closet found some things that I didn't even realize were there, imagine that? I also like Connecting Threads for fabric and thread. Live 50+ miles to the closet fabric store so it's just easier for me cuz it doesn't take long to order $50 to get free shipping.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:40 AM

I've only dabbled in quilting in the past; so the big change for me this year is that I really got bitten hard by the bug and have converted my "craft room" into a "sewing room" and my stash has exploded from just one lonely tote to shelves jammed full! Prior to this year I only had made some small wall hangings and a handful of whole-cloth type baby quilts, all spread out over about 10 years. So far this year I've completely finished 3 quilts and as of yesterday I have 5 pieced tops finished & waiting to be quilted! Kaboom!
Old 07-12-2012, 06:42 AM

using a longarm for more than meandering and loop-dee-loops.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:33 AM

I joined a techniques class, a paper piecing club, I've learned how to & love doing paper piecing & I've stretched my comfort level with more shades of orange & green. It's a huge change from blues & browns. I think I'm less afraid of trying a more advanced pattern or do my own thing. :-) Even with the FMQ!!
Old 07-12-2012, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

The mid-arm sitdown quilting machine (HQ Sweet 16) is on the UPS truck out for delivery TODAY. Guess that will mean BIG changes in my quilting. I've also changed the way I use thread in quilting. I used to want to hide my quilting with matching thread, but I have gotten braver and actually used thread that shows.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:42 AM

I had been occupied mostly with knitting for the past 9 yrs (first grandchild born) but slowly my interest returned to quilting which is my first love in any craft. The biggest change for me this year is I recently purchased a quilting machine and I am waiting for the quilt frame to arrrive any day now. I can't wait to start machine quilting on some of the quilt tops that have been waiting for a few years to be done!! My Dear Jane quilt is among them. I will need to practice of course but I am really excited with the thought of machine quilting my own quilts other than by hand and stitch in the ditch which I've done for years.

Last edited by nygal; 07-12-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:55 AM

Deciding that I am worth spending $$ on better grade fabric. My stash is filled with "bargains". Well I figured out that a bargain is not a bargain if it just sits in the closet.