Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What are you biggest changes in quilting this year? >

What are you biggest changes in quilting this year?

What are you biggest changes in quilting this year?

Old 07-12-2012, 03:08 PM

I quilted rarely a year ago, due to the demands of my job. I am now out of work on disability and quilt everyday, sometimes most of the day!! I am so glad to be able to make each of my 14 grandkids a quilt!! I am also getting more interested in scrappy quilts. I always hand quilt, but I now incorporate using stencils for patterns too. I eat, drink, talk and sleep quilting!!
Old 07-12-2012, 04:10 PM

For me it's applique.

I did a chemo quilt with raw edge fusible applique - including one applique piece that is over 5' tall (yes, that's 5 FEET), and the other applique objects were all letters. Both were firsts for me.

At the moment I'm appliqueing bunnies on a baby quilt. I'm using a modified technique by MUV where you machine stitch the applique using a stencil (thin paper) directly to the quilt back - no fusible or stabilizer. Then I'm doing a hand blanket stitch around the edges and I'm leaving about 1/2" of raw edge and raveling it. I'm also doing needle turn applique on some of the highlights of the bunnies (different shading of fur, pink inner ear, eyes - etc). Again ... all firsts.

I'm really liking the needle turn and because I hate hand work I thought I would regret the decision. But I like it. I'm headed off to a trade show on Saturday and I plan on bringing it with me to do some of the applique work. This particular trade show draws a large contingent of Amish and Mennonite folk ... so it will be interesting to see if any of the ladies comment on my applique and I would love them to look at and critique my work.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:16 PM

i learned to needle turn applique. i love it...
Old 07-12-2012, 04:43 PM

I am making a quilt for each of my grandchildren and great grandchildren. I have finished 2, have have 8 more to go. I spent last year making quilts for my children and my cousins. Now if I can just stay out of the hospital for a while maybe I can get them all done....
Old 07-12-2012, 05:46 PM

Due to other obligations I hardly did any quilting the first part of this year. But in the past 5 or 6 weeks I've actually tackled several UFOs, bringing each one to the next step (ie, top completed, sandwiched, quilting done, binding ready to go, etc) . Most still not totally complete, but upgraded to WIP status at least. LOL! Started some new projects too, including one throw done start to finish in only about a week's time and a tote done in one afternoon. Definitely a first for me! I'm doing much more machine quilting and venturing into trying something other than squiggly cross-hatch. Like the feeling of accomplishment!
Old 07-12-2012, 10:11 PM

I have finished a lot of things so far this year. The one I'm most proud of is finishing a private 45 hour Intelliquilter (computerized quilting) Class with Suzanne Moreno. It was a real commitment but I determined if I was going to have expensive equipment, I'd better be able to make the most of it. The next big step will be completing a 45 hour private digitizing class with her that will start in August. Sometimes I would like to draw my own designs. Finally I have started doing most of my piecing on the vintage machines we have been collecting. I especially love sewing on the treadle!
Old 07-14-2012, 02:59 AM

Oh wow! Where to begin! Last year I was still driving my big rig around the country & quilting whenever I could. I always had something to work on in the truck. Last one is GFG, which is 80% complete. This year, we had a fire destroy our shed out back & the insurance company paid for a new building, which my DH designated my sewing room! My health took a turn about the same time & I couldn't pass my DOT physical, so had to retire. WOOHOO! Thank you for that! I get to spend more time in the studio! I also purchased a longarm. Now, as well as collecting fabric, I collect thread for her. Seems I don't have enough. Joined the local guild, have finally done some swaps & enjoying every minute! How did I have time to drive that big rig?? I'm glad my health improved & I have time to enjoy my quilting!!
Old 07-14-2012, 03:34 AM

I'm doing more charity quilting this year. Also am trying to use my stash. I have been only buying what I absolutely NEED. Money is a little tighter this year than last. I also have been trying to clear up UFO's. I only have 3 left to finish, and plan to get them done this weekend. Then I am going to start my Christmas giving projects. I don't gift my family anymore, but gift to charities in their name. This year gets an earlier start on that.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:47 AM

With the continuing high prices of fabric, I have concentrated on shopping my stash more. Scrap quilts have always been a favorite, but I plan for them a bit more now, to get that last drop out of my scraps!
Old 07-14-2012, 04:10 AM

I keep trying and trying to get caught up!