Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What are you biggest changes in quilting this year? >

What are you biggest changes in quilting this year?

What are you biggest changes in quilting this year?

Old 07-12-2012, 08:56 AM

I'm TRYING to concentrate on getting my UFO's (last count, about 21) LA'd and finished up. And every time I look at the calendar Christmas is closer! EEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!
Old 07-12-2012, 12:38 PM

I have been trying to finish UFO's too this year before starting any new projects. I do still buy for new projects though. I am breaking into batiks this year. I have always used more traditional quilting fabric until this year. I made my first quilt out of batiks and I just love them. I may never go back!
Old 07-12-2012, 01:02 PM

Several things. I have degenerative bone disease & also fibromyalgia so the past couple of years have been minus quilting of any kind. But I missed it so bad that now I'm easing back into it. It's hard because in the past, I was a going Jesse (as my Mother used to say) & could whip quilts out by the dozens (I donated one a month to both QOV & Project Linus in addition to the ones I made for my personal/gift use). Now it takes me forever because I have to take so many breaks (I just finished my first Jelly Roll Race). And getting good with that has been hard. That's not how I see myself, as sick, as disabled. But, related to that, I'm also being drawn more to quicker quilts & precuts (tho I have enough fabric in my stash to fill a fabric store easily). I also joined the board & that has been wonderful. I feel like I'm in a big group of friends & that's good. I get so many good ideas. I've also started buying more fabric than I have in the last couple of years. So, I guess the bottom line is, I'm back doing the thing I love to do the most (well, pretty close to the most).
Old 07-12-2012, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltngolfer View Post
I have been trying to finish UFO's too this year before starting any new projects. I do still buy for new projects though. I am breaking into batiks this year. I have always used more traditional quilting fabric until this year. I made my first quilt out of batiks and I just love them. I may never go back!
Oh, yeah... that, too. I didn't used to like batiks & only had a few but this year? Yikes! Katy bar the door (another one from my Mother)!!! It's all batiks, all the time!
Old 07-12-2012, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by momto5 View Post
I'm TRYING to concentrate on getting my UFO's (last count, about 21) LA'd and finished up. And every time I look at the calendar Christmas is closer! EEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!
That dawned on me a couple of days ago, too. Stop me if I'm wrong but wasn't it just Christmas like a little tiny while ago? LOL!
Old 07-12-2012, 01:22 PM

Haha.. Xmas is getting closer when I start seeing Halloween decorations in stores!
Old 07-12-2012, 02:05 PM

For me it has been working with my HQ Sweet Sixteen. We have been bonding and I love her more every time I use her. Named her Charlotte, for no particular reason. I have a long way to go to get really good at free motion quilting but it gets better with every quilt I do. If I only had some artistic talent it would be so much easier. I can't draw at all. I use Golden Treads paper for quilting templates and, of course, stencils. I can do some of the meandering type of over-all quilting and I like those a lot. The last quilt I did I was able to quilt the whole thing without starting and stopping.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:17 PM

This year, I have been taking quilt classes on line and have learned do many new skills.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:29 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

For me, I've been using bright and colorful fabric instead of florals and muted fabric. I have solids now! And I'm making a french braid with batiks...I swore I would never use batiks because I didn't like them, but now I think they are so pretty! So everything has changed for me.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:54 PM

More and more colors in my quilts. I think I have finally gotten some color confidence , and just go for it.. the more the better.