Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's next? >

What's next?

What's next?

Old 11-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Power Poster

Compared to what I thought I might do this year, the things I have actually done, started or finished are varied and surprising to me.
What I mean is, I have learned in the last 11 months that I am just not a start this project, keep on it, and see it through kind of person. No surprise there.
Some of the smaller projects got finished, more sewing type things, than quilting, and some quilt blocks sent to ppl for charity quilts, gifts, thinking of you, kind of projects.
I learned that I am not real ready to hop on big, big projects. At this stage of my experience, I could logically do it, but emotionally...and I am an emotional quilter,...emotionally, I am not comfortable yet, with queen size quilts.
I have really enjoyed all the smaller projects that I have done this year.
I am one of those ppl that needs to do a project, not talk about it, while in process, and when done, say, "I made this."
I do numbers on myself. I imagine I need to have it done a certain way, by a certain time, etc. That's not fun, and ends up feeling like work.
I'm really glad that I decided to "track" my habits for a year. What I have learned about myself as a quilter has been very beneficial.
Being in a group, even though we are online has definitely helped.
I have no one around me, that really wants to talk "quilt-talk". It's been awesome to have the choice to share, and to learn.
The year is not over, and I started a couple things for friends that I am going to finish. I have struggled over them, not bc they are so difficult, but bc I keep sabotaging my own self confidence. I want to talk quilt with quilters, but afraid to show quilters my stuff. It sounds silly, I know...no quilt police here. Of course not, their in my head!
But, I am going to finish those two projects and I will send them, and if they are shared, I'll live. That will be up to the recipients.
I really believe once those are done, I will be ready for some new projects I have in mind.
This has been a growing process, and I do feel that I have grown,...ah, but I am not done. "I" am a WIP, too! :wink:
Old 11-08-2009, 07:10 AM

Well put quitincrazy.

I learned a lot of things this year too. Made new blocks at levels I've never made before, finished my first big handquilting project (queen), and for the first time hand quilted somewhere that was not the ditch.

I love this board. I've met people here, though haven't been able to chat much since spring, and have learned countless things. I love the idea of a group and threads here are much cheaper than calling all of my quilting friends out of state and asking each of their opinions.

I'm a work in progress to, but I think I've made more strides this year than ever before. I'm still one of those that does not like having a ton of projects going at once. I want to finish what I start. Though I did figure out that if I have one project in the cutting stage, one in the piecing stage, and one in the quilting stage, I can still count that as one at a time!! :D :wink:

And quiltncrazy, you have had a lot of wonderful contributions to the quilting community that is this board.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

aww, :oops: I am so touched by your compliment, m!
I like to think although I don't produce at the same rate as some, I am still a busy little mouse, and never lazy!
If the things I do, help anybody besides me, then I will look back on this year with warm fuzzy feelings. This has been a productive year, just in many different ways.
I hope to continue the growth and production into 2010 too! :D
Old 01-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Power Poster

well, kiddo's, here we are: January 5th, 2010!
We have had a 2-0 in front of the year for nine years, but somehow, it's now a 20 (twenty)...makes it seem so modern, futuristic.
I don't make new years resolutions. Setting myself up to meet goals is just not something that works for me.
Having said that, I do ok, with saying what I 'hope' to accomplish this coming year.
If I can get a number of my WIP'S finished, and maybe squeeze in a few small things, spontaneously, to break up the process...keep out of a rut, so to speak...I'll be a happy camper.
Keeping track like this, all of last year was so helpful.
I learned about quilting from this board, but I learned about me 'as a quilter', from this thread :wink:
Melissa, I think if I ever get my many projects pared down, I will probably be happier working like you described.
Maybe having two or three at the most, but at different stages on each one. Not doing the same thing three times in a row.
I have reorganized and reorganized my sewing-cave over the years, so many times. Each time learning ways to become more efficient.
Currently, almost all my fabrics are on shelves, and most of the WIP's are on the shelves directly in front of my machine. I keep my shelves covered to protect my fabrics, and so I am not looking at all those projects and becoming overwhelmed.
Some of those are just 18' X 20" boxes, about 2 1/2" deep, holding the fabrics, uncut, for a particular person, with an idea in mind.
So, it would make the most sense to sew the cut ones first.
I'm actually looking forward to all this. I can't get them all done this year, but I can sure put a dent in it.
I'm never gonna stop quilt-dreaming, or adding to my projects, I just intend to not add as fast, or faster than I can create.
Space is on my side. I have almost run out, LOL! :lol:
So, I feel really good about 2009 and what i learned, shared and got done.
I'm hoping that I will feel just as good at the end of this year, and look back and say, "wow! I did it! I broke my old record, and got even more done this year, than I did last year!"
No matter, what, I've said it before, I plan to have fun, no matter how many quilts are cranked out. Learning to quilt more, with less stress. I accept that I am never going to quilt at the same rate as a lot of ppl, but as long as we are all happy, who cares? :mrgreen:
Old 01-05-2010, 04:15 PM

Working on a doll quilt.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:36 PM

Quiltncrazy,

I don't know if you ever found the 2010 thread, so I wanted to post it here for easy access for you.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-32911-2.htm#700399

I hope someday I can have my own quilt-cave with wips and such nice shelving...in the meantime, the room in my quilt-closet has gotten less and less as I accumulate more and more. I've tried to purchase a little bit more than I need for every project this past year and am almost looking at a stash. I did have a wonderful benefactress who sent me quite a treasure trove. I had more quilting accomplishments in 2009 than I ever have before. I think I might be exiting beginner/newbie quilter and be going onto "beginner/intermediate". :-)

I would love to see you work on those WIPS and you absolutely HAVE to post some pictures. We have to keep up on eachother's projects just like we would if we were in close demographic proximity!

May we all be forever in stitches, and may everyone have a blessed 2010!

~Melissa~