Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-10-2011, 06:19 PM

I have a 185J that's supposed to arrive on Friday from shopgoodwill.com. I'm hoping that it arrives all in one piece. I can't wait to look up the date and sew on it. Glad to hear it comes apart easily for cleaning.[/quote]

I am glad someone here got that machine! I had a long argument with myself about bidding on it, but I have my eye on another machine.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
I have a 185J that's supposed to arrive on Friday from shopgoodwill.com. I'm hoping that it arrives all in one piece. I can't wait to look up the date and sew on it. Glad to hear it comes apart easily for cleaning.
I am glad someone here got that machine! I had a long argument with myself about bidding on it, but I have my eye on another machine.[/quote]

Me too. (I'm glad you got it Betty!!!) I'm just up to my eyeballs in poison ivy. This is now the third time this summer. AND I broke my baby toe. AND I have extra work I'm suppose to do.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
What can you tell me about the Spartan. I am going to look at one tomorrow. The lady told me that it was made around the war and it is a 3/4 size machine. She does not have the manuel nor any attatchments. She did say that it is a work horse. The add says the cabinet needs to be refinished. She wants $90 for it. I feel that is way to high, any feed back before I go look at it tomorrow morning? Kathie
If I recall correctly the Spartan is a stripped down version of a 99, made in the 1960s. $90 is way too much with no manual or attachments and the cabinet is bad.
Sharon W.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:27 PM
Banned

What can you tell me about the Spartan. I am going to look at one tomorrow. The lady told me that it was made around the war and it is a 3/4 size machine. She does not have the manuel nor any attatchments. She did say that it is a work horse. The add says the cabinet needs to be refinished. She wants $90 for it. I feel that is way to high, any feed back before I go look at it tomorrow morning? Kathie
The cabinet is worth a chunk of change!! If the machine is nice and so is the cabinet I would be all over it in a New York second.

Billy
Old 08-10-2011, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
The cabinet is worth a chunk of change!! If the machine is nice and so is the cabinet I would be all over it in a New York second.

Billy
The add says"cabinet needs refinishing". She did say that it was green in color. Kathie
Old 08-10-2011, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
If I recall correctly the Spartan is a stripped down version of a 99, made in the 1960s. $90 is way too much with no manual or attachments and the cabinet is bad.
Sharon W.
Here's a link to a Spartan Manual
http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...ine-manual.pdf

and a the 99 Manual
http://www.sew-classic.com/uploads/99K.pdf

Might give you an idea of some things to look for.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Billy
The add says"cabinet needs refinishing". She did say that it was green in color. Kathie
If the wood is not rotted or the veneer isnt coming off get it anyway!

Billy
Old 08-10-2011, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
http://jackson.craigslist.org/art/2535500703.html

Need opinions please. How much "stuff" should be with this to make it cost effective? Also, she says OBO so maybe I could get her down some.
I won't consider any sort of 'deal' with a person via CL without a few photos. Start there.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Candace

Need opinions please. How much "stuff" should be with this to make it cost effective? Also, she says OBO so maybe I could get her down some.
I won't consider any sort of 'deal' with a person via CL without a few photos. Start there.
Well, the seller sent me pics of the 401A and cabinet. From what I can tell it looks immaculate. It is in a blonde cabinet. Her mom was a seamstress and passed away and she's selling ALL of her sewing things. She said there was a lot of stuff there. I'm going to actually go see it to see what all IS there, either tomorrow or over the weekend. The seller may have to go out of town tomorrow so we'll see. I'm going to play it cool but I looked on ebay to get a feeling for what they are listed for, etc.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Candace

Well, the seller sent me pics of the 401A and cabinet. From what I can tell it looks immaculate. It is in a blonde cabinet. Her mom was a seamstress and passed away and she's selling ALL of her sewing things. She said there was a lot of stuff there. I'm going to actually go see it to see what all IS there, either tomorrow or over the weekend. The seller may have to go out of town tomorrow so we'll see. I'm going to play it cool but I looked on ebay to get a feeling for what they are listed for, etc.

Good luck-------and break open the cookie jar before you go!