Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What notions are a waste of money? >

What notions are a waste of money?

What notions are a waste of money?

Old 11-11-2010, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by elizabeth
To use my basting gun, I bought some of the grid stuff at Lowe's and put enough to cover my cutting table. I don't slide the grid around. I also switched to the micro gun.

Originally Posted by ajw
How about the Dritz basting gun?! Now that was a waste of money!! It is near impossible to keep the fabric layers taught while sliding the grid around underneath so that you can punch the gun through. And then the needle that inserts the little plastic tack through your fabric has such a lorge bore that it actually slices the fabric leaving little holes. I've tried using it twice and kicked myself both times after having to remove all of the little plastic tacks and wind up pin basting anyway. Uuuugh!
I went that route a few years ago, bought the Dritz and their tacs, then bought several packs of a different brand. I found the tacs jammed in the gun to often and caused tons of frustration. I really didn't notice big holes in the quilts, and didn't have problems with the grids underneath because I anchored the layers well, but stopped using it after basting 3 or 4 quilts (all queen size) because the the jamming problem. It did save me hours of time thread basting those quilts though! I hand quilted them, so pins would have been a pain!
Old 11-11-2010, 09:29 PM

The Supreme slider with a single needle hole in it is meant for free motion embroidery/quilting. If you cut a rectangle in it to allow the feed dogs to show, you can use it for any kind of sewing, including free motion. I tape it down to my table on the corners with blue painter's tape to stop it from creeping under the needle. The newer ones have a tacky backing that keep it in place. Makes it much easier to slide a quilt across an acrylic sewing table insert.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:33 PM

I've heard you can spray chalk lines, like the pounce, with a cheap aerosal hair spray to set lines till washed. Can't use pump types because they are too wet. Have never tried it. Would definitely do a test sample first.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Dee

A plastic scrubber works real good on your mats. I don't like the disappearing pencils. Don't work all the time. I guess, after reading here I will not purchase the pouncer for the price they charge.

Originally Posted by bob1414
Originally Posted by kathidahl
I bought an Alto's QuiltCut for my Mom and it has now come back to me. Do any of you use this? Was it a waste of money?
I have the "Quilt Cut 2" and use it for every quilt I make. I cut ALL my strips on it instead of using a ruler on a cutting mat. Love it!!!
Years ago I bought a Fiskars 24" rotary ruler (cutter and ruler in one) and tried it, put it back in the box and went back to the regular way with my mat, rotary cutter and rulers. Maybe it was just me, but I found it akward to use. Maybe I will give it another try.

Originally Posted by grann of 6
Yeah, did you ever notice when you put your hand out to drop a thread in the basket it jumps away so you miss it. I have a waste basket by every machine (4) and I still have stuff all over the floor. Cheap baskets, I guess.
And here I was thinking it was me and all along it was the waste basket's fault! :P
Old 11-11-2010, 09:46 PM

the thing I love is the Side Winder. I can fill my bobbin without changing anything on my sewing machine. It doesn't fill the plastic bobbins though.

I also love the thread holder. It has a heavy round stand and a tall metal post with a hook at the top. I bought one from JoAnn's but it was plastic and useless. I got the good one at a quilting store called Calico Cat.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
Marking pencils and the disappearing ink pen. It doesn't always disappear! Luckily it was on a scrappy quilt I used as practice so it doesn't matter, but I've never used it again.

I just use a regular mechanical pencil now. Works just fine.
I went to a sewing class and used for the first time a disappearing ink pen I'd bought. It was very humid that day and the mark didn't stay on the fabric long enough for me to put the fabrics together which was like 5-10 mins.

The instructor said never use the disappearing ink when it is
humid which in NE KS is spring to fall mostly. I threw the pen in the trash when I got home.

:-(
Old 11-11-2010, 09:47 PM

I have a long magnet expandable thing from the $ store..great..just bought one with a little light on it...1.00..
bought so many thimbles..cant wear any of them..
don't like that machine/gun that bastes with the plastic stuff
bought 2 wooden cutlery dividers to separate all my notions etc and they are great..can pick up the whole thing and bring it to my machine
Old 11-11-2010, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
Originally Posted by hulahoop1
Originally Posted by Annaquilts
A pounce to stencil. I can't get it to work for me. I even bought a lot of the special stencils with it and I can not use those for other things. Some people love a pounce so maybe I am doing it wrong?

Well I am seeing people liking and using some stuff that others thought useless. Maybe time to sell some stuff?
The pounce was one of the first things I bought and have never gotten it to work the way they say it's supposed to. It was a total waste for me.

I havn't figured out my pouncer either. When I have used it, I can't see the chalk very well and it seems to wipe off too easily.
I love the pounce when I use stencils-I only mark sections at a time so it won't rub off-I think people think because it is called a "Pounce" that you have to tap it-you only tap it on the table once (in the holder!) at the start then just rub the pounce around on the stencil a couple times.