Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What notions are a waste of money? >
  • What notions are a waste of money?

• What notions are a waste of money?

Old 11-11-2010, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by grandmaquilts
    I bought a seam ripper at a quilt show that has a wooden handle . the handle is flat on one side and keeps it from rolling and is ergonomically correct. I love this ripper ( but I hate having to rip out anything)
    I knit and crochet, too. Ripping is my middle name!
    In fact, our little sewing & knitting group call ourselvers the RB Rippers!
    Old 11-11-2010, 12:26 PM

Wow! there are lots of replies--too many to read through but I like a lot of the "Clover" brand stuff--esp. their little needle threader (for hand sewing or quilting; not sewing machines) and the June Tailor ruler with all the cuts or strips in it. That really saves time cutting strips, squares, angles, etc and VERY accurate.
    Old 11-11-2010, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieF
    The "grab it" magnetic pin holders work well, but I've broken 2 by knocking them off my quilting table...so I went to an auto repair shop and bought a magnetic bowl....it's metal....and doesn't break when I have an uncoordinated moment. I love and use the June Taylor strip ruler every time I make a quilt....I use it for strip cutting blocks and binding....it's 12 inches square and has got a slit every 1/4 inch.
    I have a magnetic pin holder that I loved to use when I had my old machine. Now I'm afraid to use it near my new machines because they a 'computerized' and magnets and computers don't mix. However, if anyone else uses the magnetized pin holder and they have a computerized machine, and no problems have developed, please tell me, because I love that thing.
    Old 11-11-2010, 12:34 PM

The lint roller I have at my work area is a life saver. I roll the ironing board, I roll the cutting boards, I roll the sewing cabinet and I even roll myself! Threads, bits of fabric, bits of paper (foundation quilting) - good by!
    Old 11-11-2010, 12:42 PM

I'll tell you the most useless notion/gadget I have, a pair of battery operated, laser guided scissors. I didn't buy them at least. You're supposed to turn the laser on and then follow the beam for a perfectly straight cut. Not.
    Old 11-11-2010, 12:45 PM

I bought the round flexible bobbin holder and love it. It keeps the bobbins in place and the thread does not tangle.
    Old 11-11-2010, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
    Originally Posted by Janetlmt
    I was just thinking..another tool that doesn't work for me is the trash can..I was sitting here..looking around. The floor is covered with snippets of fabric and thread. LOL.
    Yeah, did you ever notice when you put your hand out to drop a thread in the basket it jumps away so you miss it. I have a waste basket by every machine (4) and I still have stuff all over the floor. Cheap baskets, I guess.
    I have a waste basket on both sides of me when I sew, because I found that if the basket was on my right side, I invariably would throw to the left! Now, it doesn't matter which side I toss the threads and fabric pieces, I will hit a basket! Just a basket case I guess
    Old 11-11-2010, 01:09 PM

Try wrapping a small rubber band around your ripper. That should help to keep it from rolling.
    Old 11-11-2010, 01:14 PM
    Power Poster

This is so funny. I have that blue donut bobbin holder thing and do I use it? No, I don't even know where it is... I prewind bobbins and keep mine in small medicine bottles right next to the machine and they are just handy to me.
    Old 11-11-2010, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    This is so funny. I have that blue donut bobbin holder thing and do I use it? No, I don't even know where it is... I prewind bobbins and keep mine in small medicine bottles right next to the machine and they are just handy to me.
    a good use for all the medicine bottles..