Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-18-2011, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
Hope it's OK I just jump in here. If you're planning on using the 15-91 for FMQ, a walking foot wouldn't work because you won't be able to move your quilt in different directions (only forward). A walking foot would work well for straight line quilting, as well as 'curvy' quilting, but you'd probably need an open-toed hopping foot for the freedom for FMQ. I believe the 15-91 is a low shank machine, so they should be readily available. :) Please someone correct me if I'm mistaken...
Happy Treadler welcome! And, you are absolutely correct about needing a low shank darning/hopping foot! Those feet are very easy to find for the 15's. That is what is so nice about that machine - easy to find feet, easy to find needles, and bobbins!

Nancy
Old 02-18-2011, 02:49 PM

Hi Happy Treadler,

Glad you found us here and are joining in with our chats. Your room and machines are awesome!
Welcome!
Old 02-18-2011, 02:51 PM

OMG can I come to your house to sew?????

Originally Posted by PunkQuilter
Welcome Happy Treadler! Congratulations on your new home. I and I am sure others here, would love to see pictures of your new sewing room and your favorite machines. You are in good company here.
Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm always happy to show off my new sewing room. I downloaded some pics on webshots, and they can be found here: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...78470011jjMxMP

These pictures are when we first moved in, but you are able to see the fixtures and get the 'feel' of the room anyway. I've put a few extra treadles in there since then, and will need to update my pictures very soon. Right now it looks like a fabric monster threw up all over the place in there. :shock: ha ha
:D :D :D :D :D
Old 02-18-2011, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Hope it's OK I just jump in here. If you're planning on using the 15-91 for FMQ, a walking foot wouldn't work because you won't be able to move your quilt in different directions (only forward). A walking foot would work well for straight line quilting, as well as 'curvy' quilting, but you'd probably need an open-toed hopping foot for the freedom for FMQ. I believe the 15-91 is a low shank machine, so they should be readily available. :) Please someone correct me if I'm mistaken...
Happy Treadler welcome! And, you are absolutely correct about needing a low shank darning/hopping foot! Those feet are very easy to find for the 15's. That is what is so nice about that machine - easy to find feet, easy to find needles, and bobbins!

Nancy
Do I recall correctly that the 15's use the same bobbins as the Featherweight? If yes then I surmise the same low shank feet too? Hopefully yes because I have a Featherweight. Bobbins - check. Walking foot - check. Darning/hopping foot? Don't think so. Where are some of these easy to find feet? Oh - and needles - what ones does the 15-91 take?
Old 02-18-2011, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Donna Mare
Here is another one I am looking at. Whatcha think on this one? Paint looks decent. Alot of accesories in a cabinet.
Donna Mare, that is the Pheasant decal (I am pretty sure, although I have only seen one and it was in very bad shape) and that decal is very hard to find in that condition! Get that machine for sure!

Nancy
Nancy you and Mr. Billy talked me into it. Got back home a bit ago. 5 hours later I am back home..and it is settled in. It needs a little cleaning but not bad at all.. moves well... draws are pretty full of great stuff. The lady I purchased from was very nice and gave me the family history on it. It was her Gram's. Her Gram has been gone for many years and the lady is moving out of the country so is parting with many things. Very nice lady. Anyhow, here are a couple of quick pics....
Attached Thumbnails attachment-136066.jpe   attachment-136067.jpe   attachment-136068.jpe   attachment-136131.jpe  
Old 02-18-2011, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl

Nancy
Do I recall correctly that the 15's use the same bobbins as the Featherweight? If yes then I surmise the same low shank feet too? Hopefully yes because I have a Featherweight. Bobbins - check. Walking foot - check. Darning/hopping foot? Don't think so. Where are some of these easy to find feet? Oh - and needles - what ones does the 15-91 take?
I thought from my readings that FWs have different bobbins from the 15s. I don't own a FW; so, I could be incorrect here.

Here is a site to order parts from and has articles on the Singer 15s.
http://shop.sew-classic.com/main.sc

Needles are 15x1.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:12 PM

Here is another one I am looking at. Whatcha think on this one? Paint looks decent. Alot of accesories in a cabinet.
Donna Mare, that is the Pheasant decal (I am pretty sure, although I have only seen one and it was in very bad shape) and that decal is very hard to find in that condition! Get that machine for sure!

Nancy
Nancy you and Mr. Billy talked me into it. Got back home a bit ago. 5 hours later I am back home..and it is settled in. It needs a little cleaning but not bad at all.. moves well... draws are pretty full of great stuff. The lady I purchased from was very nice and gave me the family history on it. It was her Gram's. Her Gram has been gone for many years and the lady is moving out of the country so is parting with many things. Very nice lady. Anyhow, here are a couple of quick pics....
Congrats! NICE cabinet! and machine. Glad they talked you into it.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:15 PM

Donna Mare - That is a very special find! I'm glad you were able to give it a new home.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:16 PM

Donna Mare, what a great machine! Congratulations!
Old 02-18-2011, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
I thought from my readings that FWs have different bobbins from the 15s. I don't own a FW; so, I could be incorrect here.

Here is a site to order parts from and has articles on the Singer 15s.
http://shop.sew-classic.com/main.sc

Needles are 15x1.
I might be confusing this with the 301 that I was also considering. :?: